Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal names for body parts

Options
  • 22-10-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

This might be an unusual question but I need help with informal anatomical descriptions. My four year old daughter has developed a urinary tract infection and we need to encourage her to tell us about the symptoms. Specifically we need her to be able to tell us when her urethra is sore. If it was her brother it would be easy. He'd just be telling me his willy is sore. But are there any informal equivalent female terms that refer just to the part of the body through which you urinate and don't have a sexual connotation? I grew up in an all male household and my wife didn't grow up here so neither of us know what the normal informal term is. Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

People use a range of terms, we opted for Yoni.
    It's a very old Sanskrit word that doesn't have any lewd associations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,366 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

we use the medical terms in our house, opted for the nothing to be embarrased about approach.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Ninny here. She came up with it herself. It's now become the family name for the "area".

No boys (apart from me) but its "willy"

Specific parts don't have a name but we'd probably use medical terms if it was necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There's nothing 'sexual' about the medical names for body parts, so why not use them?

Also, you could just tell her "Let us know if it hurts where you wee from" if you want to completely avoid naming parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My girl when she was little called it a tiddler, because tiddles came out of it.

the boys use winky and one boy kicked my son there the other day and my son was trying to tell the teacher someone kicked his winky adn she couldnt understand him (as he has bad speech) and he showed her where the boy kicked him, now she knows what a winky is.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

We use "girly parts" or vagina for the whole thing (I know vagina is not correct, but easier to say than vulva!). If you want to be more specific, why not just "it hurts where I pee from?"

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Front bottom will do fine; worry about proper names later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thanks for all the suggestions. No embarrassment about medical terms it is just that urethra is a bit of a mouthful for a four year old. Anyway she solved the problem herself this morning when she told me her willy wasn't sore any more. According to her a willy is what you pee through whether you are a boy or a girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

We use front bum/bottom too :)

Keep it simple IMO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would use the correct names if asked but my 2y year old has named it her front bottom and boys have tails;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would use the correct names if asked but my 2y year old has named it her front bottom and boys have tails;)
    Agreed. The main thing is not to make an issue of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Thanks for all the suggestions. No embarrassment about medical terms it is just that urethra is a bit of a mouthful for a four year old. Anyway she solved the problem herself this morning when she told me her willy wasn't sore any more. According to her a willy is what you pee through whether you are a boy or a girl.

I was going to suggest widdler (which my family used) or piddler - regardless of the sex of the child. Fair play to her for coming up with her own fits-all solution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    boys have tails;)
    The only place I'd ever heard that from before was my 2 year old! My other half fell about the place the first time Rory started commenting on "Dadas" and "Daves" (James) having "tails"

Advertisement