Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoyed

Options
  • 23-10-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just ordered Four Star online.

Meal deal for 21.95E. I have often ordered online paying by credit card or cash on delivery.

Never have I been charged a euro delivery. No where did it mention a euro delivery. My total clearly said 21.95E.

Argued with the delivery guy but was getting nowhere so just paid. Fecking annoyed. Just pure principle. Surely its illegal??

Before anyone starts I also sent an email of complaint to them but dont expect an answer really.

Has this happened others? Did ye let it go or??...

Obviously I'm talking Galway wise....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I wonder was the delivery driver "chancing his arm". If he picked up a euro a delivery for himself, he would have made a handy few quid for himself on the sly.
    I used to deliver for a company and anytime an order came in that was a fair distance away, the manager would ring them back and tell them there is going to be a delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We've been getting this a lot recently too - same deal, probably - 21.95 again, and the driver asks for 22.95. I'm still sort of undecided as to whether to argue about it or not the next time. I've no problem giving a euro tip, but this, akin to the notion of "service charge included" elsewhere, bothers me...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Yea well just give up on the ordering online bull**** and do it by a more reliable old fashioned way

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I ordered off a certain chinese before online, was given my total including delivery and when the guy arrived with it, he expected me to pay 3 euro more, even though it clearly said on the receipt the charge with delivery. He would not give me my chinese until I had paid him his 3 euro.

I rang up the chinese and complained that I had actually paid 6 euro for delivery but they fobbed me off too. B**tards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

Its just annoying that they don't tell you theres a charge. Its not like I'm too scabby to pay the euro delivery!

Maybe the driver was pulling a fast one but it'd be very risky for him. He wouldn't get away with it for long and how much woud he really make from it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

totally Understand. when ordering i always ask how much? always tip a few euro but if someone changes the price from what im told on the phone i wouldnt take the food. principal

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

totally Understand. when ordering i always ask how much? always tip a few euro but if someone changes the price from what im told on the phone i wouldnt take the food. principal

This.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No sympathy here OP. This is a result of irish people deciding that tipping should become the norm over the last decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »
    No sympathy here OP. This is a result of irish people deciding that tipping should become the norm over the last decade or so.

I think it's the opposite. A friend of mine in the service industry said that a 'service' charge (or delivery charge) is put on if they know the average person won't tip.
    If there's a delivery charge I don't tip. If it's free delivery I throw them a few bob if my food arrives quickly and hot.

Either way it should say what the final total will be and at the end of the day a 'tip' is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Four Star are now charging a €1 for all deliveries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

First world problems...... with extra anchovies.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

is it the petrol money they are charging xtra? surley not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

cats.life wrote: »
    is it the petrol money they are charging xtra? surley not.

Clearly petrol costs, amongst others, is why delivery is charged.

Regardless, if these chancers try to pull a fast one stand up and refuse to be dicked over.

If the offer said delivery charge was included in the €21.95 and the delivery guy was being an ass about it, I would of kindly told him he could take €21.95 or keep the pizza.

This would hurt them more than you, and it might make them display their prices in a clearer fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

hbert wrote: »

Meal deal for 21.95E. I have often ordered online paying by credit card or cash on delivery.

Never have I been charged a euro delivery. No where did it mention a euro delivery. My total clearly said 21.95E.

Argued with the delivery guy but was getting nowhere so just paid. Fecking annoyed. Just pure principle. Surely its illegal??

Before anyone starts I also sent an email of complaint to them but dont expect an answer really.

most people would give a tip and you quibble about a euro?
    why did you not ring and have the bill reconfirmed while the dude was at your doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

inisboffin wrote: »
    I think it's the opposite. A friend of mine in the service industry said that a 'service' charge (or delivery charge) is put on if they know the average person won't tip.
    If there's a delivery charge I don't tip. If it's free delivery I throw them a few bob if my food arrives quickly and hot.

Either way it should say what the final total will be and at the end of the day a 'tip' is optional.
    So do you eat some of the food to see if it's hot before you pay?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

not sure i'd make a fuss over a euro. if they are pulling a fast one it's probably cos people are too stingy to tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

not sure i'd make a fuss over a euro. if they are pulling a fast one it's probably cos people are too stingy to tip.

Morally speaking, in my book pulling a fast one by over charging a customer rates lower than tightness!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I use just-eat.ie, delivery is included in the price so you know exactly what the cost is.

Alternatively, pay for everything with laser or credit card online. That way you take the food and don't have to deal with any cash exchanging hands, so they can't ask you for extra money if you've already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

amiable wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »

So do you eat some of the food to see if it's hot before you pay?:D

Of course! ;)

Nah, I usually check food orders when I get them, to see if I've gotten the right thing. Terribly frustrating to open your order once they've gone, and find someone else's not-as-nice choice! It's easy enough to tell from the feel of a bag or peeping in the box if something is hot or not.

I've used justeat but more often use feedme.ie

Delivery charge varies wildly. A FIVER for some Indian food! Forget it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

do u not think four star, apache and dominos are a rip off as they say free delivery buts its 5/6 euro cheaper to collect it as there is a special on collections

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It's that lax attitude that got the country into a mess. People who didn't want to pay over the odds were accused by others as being tight.

Why should we pay over the odds for something? And why should we tip? I worked as delivery driver years ago and while I'd take a tip from someone, I'd never have the audacity to expect it.

I was getting paid by my employer as it was.

do u not think four star, apache and dominos are a rip off as they say free delivery buts its 5/6 euro cheaper to collect it as there is a special on collections

This is a disgrace. How they still get away with that for so long is unbelievable. Consumer Affairs/Ombudsman should crack down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its a f*cking euro get over it. Not worth arguing while the food goes cold imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

kraggy wrote: »
    It's that lax attitude that got the country into a mess. People who didn't want to pay over the odds were accused by others as being tight.

Why should we pay over the odds for something? And why should we tip? I worked as delivery driver years ago and while I'd take a tip from someone, I'd never have the audacity to expect it.

I was getting paid by my employer as it was.

get a grip fella, we're talking about a euro here. one euro. not the kind of thing that brings about an economic downfall

get a grip fella, we're talking about a euro here. one euro. not the kind of thing that brings about an economic downfall

It's not the amount. It's the principle of the matter.

Why pay for something that wasn't listed in the price when the purchase was made.

If we let outlets get away with that, then what's to stop them in the future?

And I never suggested that one euro here or there brought down the economy. But a generally irresponsible attitude towards money eventually did. Why? Because people thought the good times would last forever. And, because they were actually spending their own money. They weren't. They were spending credit that was all-too-easily dished out by irresponsible banks.

Besides that, I don't like the way tipping snook its way into our lives over the economic "boom". There's not need for it. It's only needed in America because the staff are paid pittance. Here, they get a full wage. So why pay extra for a service that's already paid for in the price of the product?

hbert wrote: »

Really?

A EURO... I honestly can't take this thread seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

Its not the amount, its the principle.

why have total:21.95 if it is in fact 22.95.

THAT is my problem. I'll pay it, no problem but make it clear and not do it real sneakily.

Advertisement