Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go now or next year?

• 23-10-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭

My dilemna is simple, to go to college straight away or take a gap year.

A good friend is applyin for the same course as me (computer science in trinity) and id love to go to college with someone i know. Thing is he's fully sure about going straight away and im not. Should i do what everyone is telling me and wait until 2013 to start or go in 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd take the gap year if I could - it's the best chance you have. Don't forget that you'd still then be in college with your friend for at least a few years, just not sitting together.

head off to nz, see a bit of the world, get some savings and come back when the country is less buggered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I was in a similar situation to you...I did science in Trinity..took a year off beforehand while my friend went straight in. Had a great year, while he failed and dropped out..worked a lot of the year off so was dying to get to college by the end of the year off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Its not as simple as yad think. If i stay i do sum ****y PLC course which achieves nothing and maybe work 1/2 nights a week in family pub. Tbf i wud be only 17 1/2 goin off but i hope id b betr off doin sumin worthwhile than stayin in this ****hole in Leitrim/Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I suppose you could travel or go work in a biggger town maybe.

Good to get a break before college though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

I reckon it depends a lot on the type of person you are. Do you think you would struggle to get back into the swing of going to classes, studying, assignments etc. if you took a year out? Or if you went straight away, can you see yourself getting fed up with exams and the like if you go into college now?

Personally I don't think I would have the patience to go back into education if I had taken time out, I would've gotten too used to the lifestyle. However I have a close friend who went working as an au pair in France for 18 months before starting and it did her the world of good, and she's back in college now.

You also might want to look at the fees in whichever college you're thinking of attending. Its likely that a lot of charges are going to increase over the next few years. Ask yourself honestly, if fees increase while you're travelling/working, could you afford to go to college after the gap year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its not as simple as yad think. If i stay i do sum ****y PLC course which achieves nothing and maybe work 1/2 nights a week in family pub. Tbf i wud be only 17 1/2 goin off but i hope id b betr off doin sumin worthwhile than stayin in this ****hole in Leitrim/Roscommon
    Then don't take the gap. If you have something good to do take a gap year otherwise don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SureYWouldntYa,

please note that textspeak is unwelcome on this site.

Advertisement