Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any information on this strange rifle?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 12:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Fella I know got this below. It's old, it's odd, it's rusty/dirty. He thinks it's a collectors piece. I think he's half right :D Someone here may know something about it, I call it the Walt Disney Gun, may have the ability to shoot around corners.

P1040129.jpg

P1040130.jpg

P1040128.jpg

P1040137.jpg

P1040131.jpg

P1040132.jpg

P1040133.jpg

P1040136.jpg

P1040135.jpg

P1040134.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

looks like a single shot .22lr peiper/bayard made between 1907-1939,there was also a single shot self ejecting version made also

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some info here
    Cool looking rifle, I bet it would clean up nicely with a bit of 0000 steel wool and some oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

love looking at the old guns like that,you see some interesting old yokes in shops for destruction nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks for the info guys :) It is indeed a .22lr, bolt action (obviously!). The offset scope if a bit odd though. It's like looking through the bottom of a milk bottle, I forget it's name :o Got two horizontal lines from either side and one pointed bottom post as the crosshairs. Has a vertical adjustment, but no windage :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

It may be worth posting up on the VCRAI website. I believe they are already or are trying to organise a classic rifle .22 shoot.

GH

• Advertisement

Thanks GH, I never though of doing that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[The offset scope if a bit odd though.
    By the design it needed to be like that to be able to clear the ejection port when reloading.
    It's like looking through the bottom of a milk bottle, I forget it's name :o Got two horizontal lines from either side and one pointed bottom post as the crosshairs. Has a vertical adjustment, but no windage :confused:

Thats a std European[old style] post sight.Used on most .22 rifles
    reason your optics are like a milk bottle ,is proably because of dampness or damage?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

FN made one identical to this
    Do you have to pull the back of the bolt to cock it?

I believe that you do, I haven't fired it, but was messing about with it unloaded yesterday. My Dads old Kooey (spelling) had the same type of mechanism if I remember right.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    By the design it needed to be like that to be able to clear the ejection port when reloading.

That would make sense, I can't quite remember how high the bolt had to be lifted to reload mind.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats a std European[old style] post sight.Used on most .22 rifles
    reason your optics are like a milk bottle ,is proably because of dampness or damage?

He's to zero it one of the days, which could be more of a challenge than anticipated... :D I'll have to see if I can go along if I'm around to have a better look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Bsa also made a very similar rifle , the offset scope mount was used on most military sniping rifles during ww1 as it was still required to be able to load the magazine with stripper clips.

Advertisement