Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny looking "bike"

• 23-10-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Saw a bloke on one of these yesterday.

Can't quite imagine it on O'Connell St. though.

If I see him stopped I'll ask him about it.

ElliptiGO-8S.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Looks like a cross trainer and scooter all mashed into one.
    Mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 StephenVB

So you can look like a thick indoors using a cross trainer or look like a thick outside for a couple of grand?
    My life is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

"this can descend anything a bike can" lol :D

challenge.jpg?1291495361 challenge accepted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I saw one of these coming home on the train earlier in the week. I'd never have guessed it was a folding bike.

montague_swissbike_xo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Keep an eye out for sideways-bike-guy on the Seafront in Clontarf, very odd

sideways-bike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thats just re****ed, if you want to run run ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye but this keeps you away from the er.. contaminants....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Marcin B

I saw one of those ElliptiGos (the green one) in Naas couple of days ago. It must be hard to get use to them. The guy had serious troubles with keeping balance and ended up zigzagging through one of the busiest junctions in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

hardCopy wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for sideways-bike-guy on the Seafront in Clontarf, very odd

He's often in town too, I always seem to see him coming along D'Olier St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Aesthetics aside, I think there is a market for it as it eliminates some of the age old problems for the cyclist, those related to the lower regions and the need to purchase specialized shorts. Eliminates vibration for persons with spine problems or for those who develop back pain due to cycling conventional bikes. It may be a more efficient position for increased power transfer but it looks like it could be severe on the triceps in the beginning or on longer spins. I think it might be safer in an accident also as it doesn't have a crossbar you can step off it and have a better chance of landing on your feet. Stair walkers and elipticals seem to be more popular than bikes in the gym too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

It may be a more efficient position for increased power transfer but it looks like it could be severe on the triceps in the beginning or on longer spins..

It looks like there'd be a lot more wind resistance, which tends to be a limiting factor with bicycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Stair walkers and elipticals seem to be more popular than bikes in the gym too.

I can't wait to see the bike/rowing machine hybrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I can't wait to see the bike/rowing machine hybrid.

bike041.jpg

That was fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That was fast!

The pace of modern bicycle innovation is amazing.

This turned up in google:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdlpJqHxLxk&t=5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Marcin B wrote: »
    I saw one of those ElliptiGos (the green one) in Naas couple of days ago. It must be hard to get use to them. The guy had serious troubles with keeping balance and ended up zigzagging through one of the busiest junctions in town.

That guy is known far and wide.

I live 4000 miles away. Saw him on Discovery Channel (iirc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

"Burns over 30% more calories than on a bike" (1m35s)
    That kinda says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sheamo f wrote: »
    You are more visible to other road users and can see more because of the standing position.
    I'm not sure if there is much of a difference and the drag is a negative.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bikes are very efficient at getting from A to B but the Elliptigo does burn more calories and gives a better workout than cycling.

Sorry to be annoying but is there comparable data? ie if I was to drop into a lower gear and spin a bit more, would there be much of a difference? I can imagine it working certain muscle groups more thoroughly because of the position but others less, is there data on this?

Also are there issues with muscle strain on the ankle or the arms? Compared to running I can imagine (and I seen someone else mention this) that there would be strain on the achilles? Probably no worse than cycling. Do the arms suffer on long distance as unlike a bike I imagine going without hands is difficult and there does not seem to be too many hand positions to move around (maybe you can add different bars/add ons).

Do you get any issues like hot foot since you are putting all the pressure on your feet or is this alleviated because the pressure shift around the foot as you go through the motions?
    In 2009 the inventor of the Elliptigo competed in America's most gruelling cycling event The Death Ride and finished well up the field.There's a good clip which will give an idea how the Elliptigo compares to cycling http://www.elliptigo.com/community/compete/epic-rides/the-death-ride/
    Great looking ride, can't hear the sound as I am in work, pity they didn't get more of the climbing into the video though, will look properly when I get home

http://www.deathride.com/images/photos/elemaplg.jpg

If you can next year, you should bring it up to Dublin/Wicklow for one of the hilly Audax Events/Sportives, I wouldn't mind seeing it in action on the Mick Byrne 200, would be great advertising as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

It's a piss take.

This remind me a bit of the Segway: an expensive, quite clever bit of engineering that unfortunately is targeting a niche already occupied by a cheap, proven and more elegant technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In 2009 the inventor of the Elliptigo competed in America's most gruelling cycling event The Death Ride and finished well up the field.

That's a misrepresentation of facts. As I posted on a previous thread about this ridiculous contraption...
    Lumen wrote: »
    This article documents how a super-fit ultra marathonner (Brent Teal), who apparently came third in the 39.3 mile 2006 Connemara Ultramarathon, managed to stomp to the finish of a hilly 129-mile ride in only 11.5 hours, a completely average performance amongst a bunch of ordinary recreational cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A few "Funny" bikes here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

As far as I'm concerned eliptical trainers are pretty good excercise (they hit a lot of different muscles) and if you are going to use one then why not get out in the fresh air as well.

As Sheamo said, they don't (and probably aren't intended to) replace a conventional bike for getting from A to B and they certainly don't replace a conventional bike when it comes to cycling as a sport.

So, they seem like fun. I'd certainly try one out if I didn't have to go out of my way. I probably wouldn't buy one since I don't even have a regular eliptical trainer and don't feel the absence. I certainly wouldn't be using it for my commute to work.

Advertisement