Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tongue Piercing Problems

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys - Dunno if this is the right place to write this but I got my tongue pierced on Friday and it's swollen, which I knew was going to happen but I already feel like I don't like it at all.
    I'm not sure if it's the feeling of it being in my mouth or the fact that it hurts and is swollen.
    It's starting to tense up around the bar a lot so when close my mouth, i have a kind of dragging feeling in the front of my tongue.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

I'm sure that I cant take the bar out while it's swollen, right?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any info that would be useful to me at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Hey, it will take another few days for the swelling to go down and also keep in mind that right now you have a large bar in your mouth to allow for swelling. I'm sure your piercer mentioned going back to him/her to have a smaller bar put in after it's healed? That makes such a huge difference, when I had mine changed I barely even noticed it in my mouth.

The soreness should improve a lot by day 4/5. But if you do want to remove it be careful as your tongue is sore at the moment, if you can, I'd suggest going into the piercer and asking them to take it out, It can be really hard to loosen yourself until you're used to it.

I hope you feel better soon :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Tattoos & Piercing

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

Isolt wrote: »
    Hey, it will take another few days for the swelling to go down and also keep in mind that right now you have a large bar in your mouth to allow for swelling. I'm sure your piercer mentioned going back to him/her to have a smaller bar put in after it's healed? That makes such a huge difference, when I had mine changed I barely even noticed it in my mouth.

The soreness should improve a lot by day 4/5. But if you do want to remove it be careful as your tongue is sore at the moment, if you can, I'd suggest going into the piercer and asking them to take it out, It can be really hard to loosen yourself until you're used to it.

I hope you feel better soon :p

Thanks :D Yeah, It's not feeling as bad today.. I think just the second day is the worst. I've managed to eat a bit today and it's okay.
    I'm taking ibuprofen too which is helping alot!
    I still dunno how I feel about having it long term tho! I'll see how I'm feeling once its healed.

Yeah, she told me to go back in after 3 weeks to change the bar. So hopefully ill stick it out until then and see how it feels with a smaller bar in :)

How long did yours take before the swelling went completely?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The swelling time differs from person to person. Mine took a week to go somewhat back to normal but others it might have been a day or two. When it does go down the longer bar will get really annyoing but just stick it out until you get the shorter one in.

I dunno if it can be more annoying than having a swollen tongue ;)

It's not so bad, this is my 19th piercing and it's the only one that I've actually been annoyed with and felt like I was having any problems with. I dunno if you'd even call it a problem, just doing my head in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Got my tongue done and i couldnt eat anything but soup for 3 weeks. lived off soup and cans of monster. swelling lasted a week but i got nurophen plus and it helped a lot. mine was fairly painful for the first week but i stuck it out and its grand now.

Wow - 3 weeks! That must have been tough! Did you find yourself feeling ill? Did you lose alot of weight?

I'm eating a bit of corned beef that mammy made for the dinner now.
    I find that once I put it at the side of my mouth its not too bad! I've bitten the bar a few times but its generally ok.
    I had dry toast for breakfast this morning and a cold cup of tea (I take my tea with less than a spoon of milk, so not worried about the dairy)

I'm taking ibuprofen 3 times per day, which helps a good bit.

:)

i lost more than half a stone but i managed to find it again. I found training tough without eating but monster was giving me a good boost. it also made the tongue go numb :D

After 3 weeks Someone at my house arrived in with a taco chip and pizza just aas my soup was ready and left half it so i said **** it and spend a hour trying to eat a cold taco chip and pizza and got better from there on in. 2 months later i still have the big bar in. must really go change it. dont even notice the big bar anymore though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AineThePiercer

Belz everything you described is normal for a new tongue piercing.

Ohhh gosh! I'm dying for a pizza and garlic cheese chips! hahah :P
    I have aerobics tomorrow and I'm kinda scared that I'll faint or something.
    I think a few cans of Red bull will do the trick!

Ainé - Thats good to know! I'm glad.. just freaked out a little when my tongue started to spasm. It's starting to get that horrible white coating on it now.. when can i brush my tongue?

• Advertisement

it can be a bit freaky at first, you can brush your tongue carefull anytime. use non alcohol mouthwash or if it has alcohol in it dilute it 50/50 with water. Also use a pinch of sea salt in cooled boiled water as a mouthwash a couple of times a day. avoid dairy products for the first week or so also.

Yep - I have zero alcohol mouthwash that Im using. I'll get some sea salt tomorrow. Well, the only dairy i've had was less than a spoon of milk in my tea. Other than that I've avoided it :)
    It's tough going as most of my daily food includes milk, cheese & yogurts! haha

How long before I can eat spicy food?

I found the mouth wash ws making my tongue really sensitive so i diluted it down 50/50 anyway and it helped :)

Were you using the zero alcohol one?

yup, was getting real sharp sensitive pains when i had stuff like ketchup or when i was sleeping even

Oooh, that actually makes a bit of sense - mine is doing the same, especially underneath. Maybe i'll dilute anyway! :D Some great advice! I'm actually really glad i wrote here now!

a little milk is fine :-) i'd avoid spice til your tongue is no longer sore at at all, a week to 10 days maybe even 2 weeks depending on how you heal.

Ok, so no curry for me at all for 2 weeks! This really is a great help! :)

bellz_x wrote: »
    Ok, so no curry for me at all for 2 weeks! This really is a great help! :)

You'll know yourself how its feeling. My brother had curry from the Chinese the night he got it done with no problems

Oohhh, Dont tempt me! ;) I'm a bitch for junk food sometimes! I want it more now cos I cant have it hahah I'll give it a week or so and see how its going!

• Advertisement

Hahahaha Noooo!!! That looks amazing!
    I'd love it!! Just give me that, pizza, ice cream! Everything! Hahaha

if your tongue is no longer too sore to eat curry at any point then eat away. if it hurts (whether its spicy food, cold food, crunchy food, piping hot food etc) then dont eat for a while everyone is different. you'll know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I used to eat ice cubes when I got my tongue done. It brought down the swelling a little and was relieving :D

Good luck!

:D Yeah, I've been having ice & taking ibuprofen for the swelling and pain. It's not so bad now. Just noticed that there is a bit of white gicky stuff starting to come out of it at the top.. is that normal?
    It's not really as sore now and I'm able to eat a bit better.
    Just wanna be sure that the stuff that's coming out of it isnt anything weird.

I have been diluting my mouthwash with water most of the time. I'm keeping it as clean as possible.

bellz_x wrote: »
    :D Yeah, I've been having ice & taking ibuprofen for the swelling and pain. It's not so bad now. Just noticed that there is a bit of white gicky stuff starting to come out of it at the top.. is that normal?
    It's not really as sore now and I'm able to eat a bit better.
    Just wanna be sure that the stuff that's coming out of it isnt anything weird.

I have been diluting my mouthwash with water most of the time. I'm keeping it as clean as possible.

I had that on mine the for ages too. cleaned it off with the toothbrush and it would be back again in a few hours. went away after a while though.

Ahhhh ok, so it's normal then?? That puts my mind at ease a little bit :)
    Other than that, I'm starting to kinda like it :P haha

Hey guys!
    Just a quick question!

I've had the piercing almost 3 weeks now, should be changing the bar to a smaller one on Friday but today noticed that the underneath has a little ring around it, kinda white and a little bit of white puss is coming out of it.

Other than this, it's been fine. I've been eating normal again and I was happy enough with it. I just noticed it today that it's a bit weird and has a bit of a sting in it. I've continued to clean it and that but I'm wondering, is this normal?

Hope you're all having a lovely evening! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Get your piercer to take a look when you get the bar changed :)

I had something similar for a day or two when I got mine done but it went away by continuing to clean it.

• Advertisement

Brilliant :D I shall get her to check it out.
    I'd say it's fine but it just creeped me out a bit because I havent had any problems with it! :)

Advertisement