Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog liver problems?

• 23-10-2011 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I know any replys to this are just **opinions** and shouldnt be taken as medical advice. Any helpful replies I do get will given to the vet.

A family member has a westhighland terrier. Shes about 13 years old.

I forget the initial symptoms, but bloating and diarrohea is ringing a bell. (I will confirm in the moring exactly what the symptoms were/are- so please bare with me until then)

THey took her to the vet who took a blood sample and said the results very highly suggest a tumor in the liver.

However upon examination the vet cannot find a tumor.

A second vet was consulted who is of the same opinion as the first vet but also cant fathom the issue.

Im going to post the results here and hope that maybe somebody might be able offer some insight.

alkp is extremely high (its actually off the chart, its so high they cant get a measuring on it)
    alt is high
    plt is high
    mch is high
    mcv is high
    hct is low
    rbc is low

The vet advised they change the dogs diet to chicken and rice and remove the kibble/nut food and tins of pedigree. Which they have done.

Again Im sorry for the missing details... but I will post them tomorrow as soon as I get them myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

So sorry to hear about your dog, but there is hope! My 13 year old Golden Cocker has a tumor in his liver also. He was diagnosed last November and we were told that he would more than likely not live much longer than after Christmas, though understandably, the vet couldnt be more exact. When we got his blood results, his liver enzymes were extremely elevated, they were in the 600's, and a normal result the vet said is about 25. When his bloods were repeated in May, his results were in the 800's, and the vet was very happy as even though it was worse, he would have expected it to be alot worse for 6 months later.

We immediately changed our dogs diet upon diagnosis. He doesnt eat any red meat of any kind, he just lives on chicken, turkey and fish, which he enjoys, though I'm sure he gets bored of it. He was never a big eater, so he still doesnt eat too much. He weighs 14.5 kilos, and the vet is happy, as up to last week, he has maintained his weight for 6 months. I mix his chicken/turkey/fish with some wholegrain rice, or a quarter tin of I/D dog food, which is for gastro problems, as he also suffers from collitis. And I might add a small handful of Burns Mini Bites dried food just to add a bit of texture. A couple of times a week he also gets some scrambled egg which he loves!

Since last November, he has been on a liver supplement called Hepatosyl, and he takes 2 of these a day. And recently, he is on a half steriod a day aswell. Even though he has slowed down a bit, he is still a very happy active dog, goes for his walk every day and trips to the woods. He sleeps more, but sleep is good for regenerating the liver, so that is encouraged! A dog can survive with 80% of its liver damaged, so its hard to know how long he has left, but every day is a bonus, and we didnt think he would be here now. It is expensive between medication, trips to the vet and food, but he is so worth it, and I wouldnt think twice about doing all I can to help him. Best of luck and I hope you and your family have lots of happy times ahead with your dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What did the vet do to establish that there doesn't seem to be a rumour?
    Liver tumours are a common problem in westies of that age group, as are kidney problems.
    Hope the wee thing is ok :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

DBB wrote: »
    What did the vet do to establish that there doesn't seem to be a rumour?
    Liver tumours are a common problem in westies of that age group, as are kidney problems.
    Hope the wee thing is ok :-(

Totally agree. If funds permit, you can arrange for a scan to confirm diagnosis.

Advertisement