Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove the Hunting forum

Options
  • 23-10-2011 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think these people should have a forum to communicate. I'm not pro animal rights or anything, and even don't think bull fighting should have been banned in Spain but hunting animals for the only reason being is to kill an innocent animal is just wrong. Maybe it can be looked in to. I'm sure a lot of people would agree.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You're on a roll man:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Blay wrote: »
    You're on a roll tonight man:pac:
    leave me the hell along you psychopath

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what about all those who hold culling licences or hunt deer which are a non native invasive species that are serious damaging areas like Wicklow and need to be hunted and removed?

what about all those who hold culling licences or hunt deer which are a non native invasive species that are serious damaging areas like Wicklow and need to be hunted and removed?
    You're getting into semantics now. I've murdered myself in the past, but realise there is no room for it now in society now that I'm older.
    If you're talking about the grey squirrel I say fair enough, kill them. But apart from that, I think we have to remember we're all going to have to answer to someone one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Live and let live, I say
    oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This has already been discussed at length in this forum. If you don't like the contents of a forum, don't read it. We won't be closing forums just because some people don't like them. If we did that we'd probably have to close every forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think mr tedson is looking for an argument .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not pro animal rights or anything

Okay :confused:

Many of those you so ignorantly speak of are pro-animal rights despite what you might want to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm not pro animal rights or anything...

Really?

I've murdered myself in the past...

It's interesting that you chose to refer to it as murder rather than hunting.

I think we have to remember we're all going to have to answer to someone one day.

And is this a religious inference?

Sounds like you have a very strong ideological position in this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't think these people should have a forum to communicate. I'm not pro animal rights or anything, and even don't think bull fighting should have been banned in Spain but hunting animals for the only reason being is to kill an innocent animal is just wrong. Maybe it can be looked in to. I'm sure a lot of people would agree.
    I can't think of many hunters that kill and just throw away the carcass. And if they are they're missing a fine chance to score some deer sausage or wild turkey. I also believe there's some boar in my region that would probably be an interesting eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Overheal wrote: »
    ........... I also believe there's some boar in my region that would probably be an interesting eat.

One of the things I've always been curious about - the taste of truly wild boar. I blame a combination of Asterix & Obelix as a child and the odd fantasy novel hence, meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nodin wrote: »
    One of the things I've always been curious about - the taste of truly wild boar.
    Unbelievably good. Like someone mixed perfectly cooked rashers with steak.
    (If you cook it right, that is. Low-and-slow cooking of nice wild boar sausages will manage it, as will most braising methods).

Venison is equally nice when well cooked - if you want a guaranteed-to-be-tasty intro to venison, I'd strongly recommend the tortelinni di cervo in carluccios - think ravioli but with a red wine braised venison filling. Be careful you don't eat the plate though.

Rabbit... well, it's a bit like chicken, really. In fact, that's what it used to be until about fifty years ago (ie. it used to be the cheap protein source for most homes). Rabbit pie is nice, especially with a bit of curry powder added.

Not tried pigeon, though I'm told it's delicious.

Pheasant... well, to be honest, I could take it or leave it, it's kindof turkeyish to my tastes. But pheasant and venison pie, now that's another thing altogether, and really, really good.

There are a lot of decent recipes in the Game recipies and tips thread in the Hunting forum.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeddyTedson

UDA /UVF ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeddyTedson

UDA /UVF ?

Nope, time traveller looking to create a paradox.

Sparks wrote: »
    Nope, time traveller looking to create a paradox.

Time traveller! Me too. I'll meet you yesterday at 5 o clock in dublin:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There are a lot of decent recipes in the Game recipies and tips thread in the Hunting forum.

But you have to murder innocent animals to try these recipes right? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Time traveller! Me too. I'll meet you yesterday at 5 o clock in dublin:)

Bring a microwave

Okay lets leave it at that.
    I just didn't think it was right to have a forum where these "hunters" can brag about how many animals they've killed, for pleasure.

Orion wrote: »
    But you have to murder innocent animals to try these recipes right? :eek:
    Well, no, but it is harder to skin and debone them without killing them first.

Murder? Most definitely.....tasty murder:P

• Advertisement

I just didn't think it was right to have a forum where these "hunters" can brag about how many animals they've killed, for pleasure.
    "hunters" ???
    Pretty sure they're hunters. I mean, they kill, skin, joint, debone, cook and eat the animals. What do they have to do to lose the quotation marks, mate with the animals' parents to produce the offspring to hunt? Track them naked through the wicklow hills with only a knife between their teeth to dispatch them with? Eat the meat raw, freshly cut from the steaming carcass right there on the hillside?
    I mean, enquiring minds want to know Teddy - what do these poor chaps have to do to earn sufficient respect in your sight that you don't need to call them "hunters", but rather hunters?
    I'm sure they'll be more than happy to do whatever you'd require of them so that they can carry out their legal and ethical pursuits in a way that satisfies your definition of what's right.

I eat meat myself. I don't have a problem with people "hunting" if they're going to eat the deer, a man has to eat. But people who kill just for a bit of fun, that's not right, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Surely then you're looking for the "Hunting" forum to be removed? :rolleyes:

I don't think these people should have a "forum" to communicate. I'm not pro "animal" rights or anything, and even don't think bull fighting should have been banned in "Spain" but hunting "animals" for the only reason being is to kill an "innocent" animal is just wrong. Maybe it can be looked in to. I'm sure a lot of "people" would agree.

FYOP

I eat meat myself. I don't have a problem with people "hunting" if they're going to eat the deer, a man has to eat. But people who kill just for a bit of fun, that's not right, is it?

I'd imagine nearly every deerstalker eats what they shoot, I know people who deerstalk and it's a tough game to get into, not every yahoo is out taking shots at deer for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sparks - Pigeon is gorgeous. Gently fried in oil & butter, a dash of balsamic & worcester sauce to towards the end. Serve with grilled field mushrooms & some wild salad leaves. Drizzle the sauce from the pan over the lot.

Dinner from my back garden - does that make me a murderer?

But people who kill just for a bit of fun, that's not right, is it?
    And how many of the hunters on the forum kill just for a bit of fun?

Or are you mistaking the pride taken in doing something that has to be done, well and competently, with sociopathy? I mean, it's an easy mistake to make, I can't count the number of times I've heard someone describe a bowel movement as "good" and immediately thought "feck, that person's a sociopath!"; or seen someone finish cutting a hedge and say "that's not bad" and thought "feck, best have them locked up before they skin and eat a toddler".

You sure that's not what you're doing here?

Sparks - Pigeon is gorgeous. Gently fried in oil & butter, a dash of balsamic & worcester sauce to towards the end. Serve with grilled field mushrooms & some wild salad leaves. Drizzle the sauce from the pan over the lot.
    Dinner from my back garden - does that make me a murderer?
    Well, no HB, it's the six dead postmen you've buried in that garden since 1994 that makes you a murderer.
    The pigeon thing is what makes you a cook.
    Easy mistake to make though, don't worry about it.

Unbelievably good. Like someone mixed perfectly cooked rashers with steak.
    (If you cook it right, that is. Low-and-slow cooking of nice wild boar sausages will manage it, as will most braising methods).

Venison is equally nice when well cooked - if you want a guaranteed-to-be-tasty intro to venison, I'd strongly recommend the tortelinni di cervo in carluccios - think ravioli but with a red wine braised venison filling. Be careful you don't eat the plate though.

Rabbit... well, it's a bit like chicken, really. In fact, that's what it used to be until about fifty years ago (ie. it used to be the cheap protein source for most homes). Rabbit pie is nice, especially with a bit of curry powder added.

Not tried pigeon, though I'm told it's delicious.

Pheasant... well, to be honest, I could take it or leave it, it's kindof turkeyish to my tastes. But pheasant and venison pie, now that's another thing altogether, and really, really good.

The Father used bring home shot Pheasant on a semi-regular basis years ago and I always enjoyed it. There used be hooks in the shed at the back of the house for hanging them.

I've had Duck and Goose as well. Goose rated "ok" and Duck I found (I suppose unsuprisingly) 'watery'...lacking in substance. Both were sourced from a butchers as opposed to hunted game.

Venison...theres another thing that piques my curiosity. I've been 'bambied' though, and would probably be unable to do the deed there myself.

And how many of the hunters on the forum kill just for a bit of fun?

Or are you mistaking the pride taken in doing something that has to be done, well and competently, with sociopathy? I mean, it's an easy mistake to make, I can't count the number of times I've heard someone describe a bowel movement as "good" and immediately thought "feck, that person's a sociopath!"; or seen someone finish cutting a hedge and say "that's not bad" and thought "feck, best have them locked up before they skin and eat a toddler".

You sure that's not what you're doing here?
    Have you or have you not ever killed an animal unnecessarily?

• Advertisement

Well, no, but it is harder to skin and debone them without killing them first.

....and noisy, which - given the lack of 'sound proofing' in a great deal of recently built housing - may well cause some unnessecary worry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement