Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove the Hunting forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

. But people who kill just for a bit of fun, that's not right, is it?
    ........a forum where these "hunters" can brag about how many animals they've killed, for pleasure.
    but hunting animals for the only reason being is to kill an innocent animal is just wrong.

So hunting for pleasure/fun is wrong, but ..........
    ........... and even don't think bull fighting should have been banned in Spain.........

Right. Just so i'm clear. Hunting is bad. Gotcha.

However impaling swords into a tired, and imprisoned animal for the pleasure of the crowd, well thats fine because it was not "hunted".:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ezridax wrote: »
    So hunting for pleasure/fun is wrong, but ..........

Right. Just so i'm clear. Hunting is bad. Gotcha ya.

However impaling swords into a tired, and imprisoned animal for the pleasure of the crowd, well thats fine because it was not "hunted".:rolleyes:
    No you're mincing what I mean!
    I mean that Spain should be allowed to do what they want in their own country. I wouldn't like to see it here, although I do think it can be entertaining to watch, I want to go to one someday in Spain before it's outlawed over there.
    But it's not the same thing anyway.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What?????

You're saying it's ok, and even entertaining to barbarically taunt and slowly kill a captive animal in front of a crowd, but it's not ok to enjoy hunting wild animals?

Are we only allowed to kill the non-cute animals for entertainment (not that hunting is entertaining, but you hopefully know what I mean)?

What are your thoughts on dog fighting? Is that ok because it's entertaining, and anyway it's the dogs killing each other rather than a human killing them?

Your position is preposterous.

No you're mincing what I mean!

No i'm not. I'm quoting what you said.
    I mean that Spain should be allowed to do what they want in their own country. I wouldn't like to see it here, although I do think it can be entertaining to watch, I want to go to one someday in Spain before it's outlawed over there.

Ah, thats much clearer. So as long as its not in Ireland you're not outraged, but if the cruelty you refer to above happens elsewhere then why not enjoy it, because you can do nothing about it?

Is that more accurate?
    But it's not the same thing anyway

How so? Animal cruelty is animal cruelty irrespective of its location.
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Disagee:eek:. You are contradicting yourself with every turn. First its okay, then its not, then its okay abroad.
    -Chris- wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on dog fighting? Is that ok because it's entertaining, and anyway it's the dogs killing each other rather than a human killing them?

They are not hunted so its fine. :rolleyes:
    Your position is preposterous.

+1
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I'm not going to argue with you. We have to agree to disagree. If you read my posts my opinion is very clear.
    Hunting, is fine for eating. But killing the animal for just sheer pleasure is wrong, come on you know it is!
    Bull Fighting - Cruel, but not in this country. Spain have to decide what to do over there themselves. I'd like to see one some day before it's outlawed.
    It's fascinated me ever since I first saw it, but it's cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But nobody is hunting for 'sheer pleasure' are they. That implication is that they go out and kill something for jollies and then leave it to rot.

I'm not going to argue with you.

You still are.
    We have to agree to disagree.

As above.
    If you read my posts my opinion is very clear.

No its not. You seem to think hunting for fun is terible, yet in the same mouthful (or post in this case) say bull fighting is perfectly fine, and that you would even enjoy watching one, although you know its more cruel than hunting. When hunted an animal is 99% of the time instantly dispatched. Bull fighting can take hour(s). It has no other function than to provide entertainment. Hunting is done to control populations of certain species that otherwise would run rampant.
    Hunting, is fine for eating. But killing the animal for just sheer pleasure is wrong, come on you know it is!

Contradicting your previous posts again. All "killing" is either wrong or right. Take a stand. Its one or the other. I have respect for those that are opposed to hunting and they are entitled to theiropinion as much as i am entitled to mine. However you arre squarely on the fence and looking at both sides with conflicting opinions.
    Bull Fighting - Cruel, but not in this country. Spain have to decide what to do over there themselves. I'd like to see one some day before it's outlawed.
    It's fascinated me ever since I first saw it, but it's cruel.

It doesn't mater where it happens.

You fail to see the difference between cruelty for fun/pleasure, and hunting. If it were not for hunters have you thought of the environmental impact. We control populations growth of certain species that if left to run unchecked would cause far reaching and possibly devastating consequences.

For example. Rabbits and deer. Other than the Red Deer of Kerry all deer are invasive species. They can destry an area of woodland and pasture in a realively short period of time if numbers are not controlled. As there is no natural predators in Ireland it falls on the Gov. to do something, and they do this with the issuing of licenses to hunt these animals. The process to aquire a firearm is long, and one of the strictest in the world. It is also closely monitored, and any unsavoury condcut is met with swift and harsh punishment. Also we are responsible for culling unwanted invasive species such as the Muntjac. These deer have a shorter breeding cycle than regular deer, can breed from 9 months of age, have no rutting season, and live as long if not longer than Fallow, Ska, and Red. A population of only 50 bredding pair could ballon into over 800 within 5 years if unchecked. They also target crops, and woodlands that other species do not.

The people involved in hunting provide a service to the local community by supporting local businesses, charities, and most importantly they give back more than they take with breeding programmes for alot of wild birds, and carefully planned and followed deer management programmes. They also provide assistance to local farmers by helping with work, maintenance of farmland, etc during the off season as we do not shoot all through the year.

Look at it this way. If hunting was to be abolished in the morning this service to the local community would cease as the majority of shooters have no reason to breed birds, help aid in the upkeep of lands they do not own nor have any "stake" in.

Also from an animal point of view. Deer, rabbits, foxes, squirrels, etc all carry diseases that can spread to livestock and family pets. If they were allowed to breed uncontrolled you would have infestations of these animals within a short period of time encroaching on urban areas, spreading such diseases among their own species, and domestic leading to populations of sick, dying animals.

The hunting forum may be unsavoury to some, and they are free to read and post there if they wish. If not they ignore it. he fact is some 250,000 people in Ireland are involved in some hunting pursuit. It has been a way of life to Irish people for hundreds of years, and in a climate where people forget that up until 50 years ago if you did not hunt you did not eat or you lost livestock i find it hard to entertain the argument "Those are the old days".

Hunting is an art form. A talent passed from Father to Son, Mothr to Daughter, etc down the years. It is, in some cases/opinions, a necessary evil. The fact that we have a forum is not bragging, but merely to trade centuries old hints and tips. We take pride in our ability to stalk and successfully, and humanely despatch our quarry. Some see it as bragging, but nothing is further from the truth.

As a final point it is also a 100% legal pursuit, and as such breaks no laws or Boards rules.

Ezridax wrote: »
    You still are.

As above.

No its not. You seem to think hunting for fun is terible, yet in the same mouthful (or post in this case) say bull fighting is perfectly fine, and that you would even enjoy watching one, although you know its more cruel than hunting. When hunted an animal is 99% of the time instantly dispatched. Bull fighting can take hour(s). It has no other function than to provide entertainment. Hunting is done to control populations of certain species that otherwise would run rampant.

Contradicting your previous posts again. All "killing" is either wrong or right. Take a stand. Its one or the other. I have respect for those that are opposed to hunting and they are entitled to theiropinion as much as i am entitled to mine. However you arre squarely on the fence and looking at both sides with conflicting opinions.

It doesn't mater where it happens.

You fail to see the difference between cruelty for fun/pleasure, and hunting. If it were not for hunters have you thought of the environmental impact. We control populations growth of certain species that if left to run unchecked would cause far reaching and possibly devastating consequences.

For example. Rabbits and deer. Other than the Red Deer of Kerry all deer are invasive species. They can destry an area of woodland and pasture in a realively short period of time if numbers are not controlled. As there is no natural predators in Ireland it falls on the Gov. to do something, and they do this with the issuing of licenses to hunt these animals. The process to aquire a firearm is long, and one of the strictest in the world. It is also closely monitored, and any unsavoury condcut is met with swift and harsh punishment. Also we are responsible for culling unwanted invasive species such as the Muntjac. These deer have a shorter breeding cycle than regular deer, can breed from 9 months of age, have no rutting season, and live as long if not longer than Fallow, Ska, and Red. A population of only 50 bredding pair could ballon into over 800 within 5 years if unchecked. They also target crops, and woodlands that other species do not.

The people involved in hunting provide a service to the local community by supporting local businesses, charities, and most importantly they give back more than they take with breeding programmes for alot of wild birds, and carefully planned and followed deer management programmes. They also provide assistance to local farmers by helping with work, maintenance of farmland, etc during the off season as we do not shoot all through the year.

Look at it this way. If hunting was to be abolished in the morning this service to the local community would cease as the majority of shooters have no reason to breed birds, help aid in the upkeep of lands they do not own nor have any "stake" in.

Also from an animal point of view. Deer, rabbits, foxes, squirrels, etc all carry diseases that can spread to livestock and family pets. If they were allowed to breed uncontrolled you would have infestations of these animals within a short period of time encroaching on urban areas, spreading such diseases among their own species, and domestic leading to populations of sick, dying animals.

The hunting forum may be unsavoury to some, and they are free to read and post there if they wish. If not they ignore it. he fact is some 250,000 people in Ireland are involved in some hunting pursuit. It has been a way of life to Irish people for hundreds of years, and in a climate where people forget that up until 50 years ago if you did not hunt you did not eat or you lost livestock i find it hard to entertain the argument "Those are the old days".

Hunting is an art form. A talent passed from Father to Son, Mothr to Daughter, etc down the years. It is, in some cases/opinions, a necessary evil. The fact that we have a forum is not bragging, but merely to trade centuries old hints and tips. We take pride in our ability to stalk and successfully, and humanely despatch our quarry. Some see it as bragging, but nothing is further from the truth.

As a final point it is also a 100% legal pursuit, and as such breaks no laws or Boards rules.
    You make some great points and it's hard to argue with that.

I'm not trying to "convert" you. You are still free to dislike hunting, etc. All i ask is that you consider the entire argument before re-acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Oh Teddy. What travails will you get up to next?

If only there was some way to subscribe to a user's posts, I would subscribe to yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Don't feed the Trolly Trollingson, peeps.

If you read the entire thread you wouldn't be saying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Long and short of it Teddy:

Hunting is not illegal and there are enough people that want to talk about it to warrant there being a forum to accommodate their discussion.

If you do not agree with hunting and find it distasteful, then you have the option of not reading the forum (its not a pop up and there is no mechanism for boards.ie to force you to see it).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement