Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice attempting a new gaming build

Options
  • 23-10-2011 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I pretty much have the finances sorted for my first PC build and I'm going to go as high-end as I can and try to get as much for the money as possible.

How much money do I want to spend?

In the €700 ballpark. I want to end up with a little monster of a machine, but being currently without a working machine that isn't a netbook plugged into a monitor (long story), I want to leave some stuff out for now that can be added later.

Wish-list:

Get close to a bare minimum cost-wise. Get just the parts that absolutely need to be in the initial build.

I'd probably add 2 more sticks of ram and then crossfire a second 6950 (or whatever card I buy) down the line

Components I already have:

- 19" Acer LCD (Monitor is not part of my initial build)

- Keyboard and mouse.

- 1TB external Seagate drive

What parts I'm looking at right now:

Here is a build I was recommended. Ignore the prices. I just left them there for rough reference.

I'm not overly attached to any of them, apart from the processor, but if you can do better, please be my guest. I'm told that it's probably the best for the money. It's the opinion of one person though.

I'd really like to go for an SSD, instead of a HDD. I can worry about a second drive after I have the "barebones" sorted. If anyone has any advice on SSD's, I'd really appreciate it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler:
    Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Memory:
    G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Hard Drive:
    Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($72.11 @ CompUSA)

Video Card:
    MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($267.86 @ Newegg)

Case:
    Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply:
    Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Total:
    $874.91

Sorry for the kind of long post, but better to let you know exactly what I'm looking for, instead of making you ask.

Comments

Advertisement