Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher - 17th Febuary O2 Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I was obviously expecting it to be a great night, but he really blew me away with that performance. He looked a lot more comfortable than he makes himself out to be as a frontman.

The choir were fantastic. They really added something special to it.

Did anyone find Stewart on their way out? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Good gig, the music was excellent but I thought the atmosphere in the crowd was lacking somewhat.

I dunno, people just didn't seem to be into it. The people around me just seemed to be talking and walking back and forth to the bar. During the quieter songs the amount of talk you could hear in the crowd was unreal. They didn't seem to get into it until the encore really.

Was at Kasabian in November and the crowd there was just so into it. Even coming out of that gig the crowd were still singing and left the O2 on a high.

Just my opinion though which seems to be in the minority :)

ye but it wassnt a gig to be jumping around to going mad ala Kasabian. I was just there taking it all in singing my heart out with every song. Thought my voice was going after 4 songs but it held up, sore today though, so worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

zefer wrote: »
    I thought it was good gig but saw him in hammersmith Apollo last year and thought it was better there.
    Some amount of knackers at it last night throwing beer.. I don't get it, it's so expensive in the O2, you'd think they'd saviour every drop!!

Not to mention the constant stream of spit that some people were flicking
    towards the front of the crowd and the big fight that kicked off next to me ... about 10 people involved in it. Blood all over the place afterwards. Too many people beered and spliffed up for my liking.

A very good gig though ... the choir and brass section worked well, nice to
    see Noel playing his own solos - although he can't play them like Gem !
    Also nice to see an artist engage in genuine banter with the crowd (the
    Man City stuff, the ole, ole quips etc) rather than just telling us we are wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 highflyingturd

Yeah I seen a good few people being ****ed out by the security I thought the atmosphere was electric though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Zero complaints here, the man delivers :D

He has definitely grown into the role as Front Man over the past 6 months or so, you can see him really starting to enjoy it after initial apprehension.

Supersonic was a personal highlight but I could listen to him doing Oasis stuff all night long, so you have to respect the fact he has to play his solo album.

What's clear though, is that the HFB tunes can hold their own, enjoyed hearing every one of them. With the arsenal of songs he has at his disposal he could quite easily mix up the setlist. Feck Croker and the Chilis, another NG date is what we want/need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barrymcloughlin

Did anyone else think the volume was a bit on the low side? Maybe I was just in a bad spot. In fairness, it did seem to get better/louder as the night went on and I drifted into the centre.

Awful lot of completely disinterested people in the crowd. And I'm pretty amazed at the amount of bottles that got past security. I'm just glad none of the prats throwing their beer around decided to pick one up and lob it. A bit of aggro nearly kicked off near me, but security swooped sharpish. Fair play to them.

Pretty good show, the choir and brass section really lifted the songs. Really liked the full band version of Talk Tonight, and I've been singing Everybody's On The Run to myself since I left The O2.

EDIT: Ticketmaster have standing tickets for Croker available again, just got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the sound was great, noel was great but the crowd was very poor it was lacking a wee bit of atmpshphere i felt. the amount of people talking to each other during songs really grinned my gears :mad:. im not trolling or taking the piss but i honestly thought that beady eye were better live. 7/10 gig for moi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

i wanna say thanks to the 3 lads in one the cubical who left me a nice line

gobs*its

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

zefer wrote: »
    I thought it was good gig but saw him in hammersmith Apollo last year and thought it was better there.

I was at that gig aswell and it was definitely better than last night, as was the Olympia gig, but that just goes without saying almost, some atmosphere is always lost in a huge venue like with the amount of casual fans or whoever just looking for a night out etc that but that said last night was great aswell.

As for beer being flung well that's a rock gig get used to it, a Noel Gallagher gig is always going to get messy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

By the by the aftershow party with Paul Gallagher was completely sold out - not a hope of getting in and a lot of people outside trying.

Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Music was fantastic. Chuffed standing there listening to Noel Gallagher!

Not too sure if the HFB's songs were taken up all that well there, which is a shame.

None of the crowd seemed to be up for it, or whatever. I dunno, just didn't enjoy the atmosphere in The o2 last night.

Also, not that it matters really, but my mate said Noel done the whole "so who's Stewart?" etc up in Belfast the night before.

Feels mad to say that I kinda preferred the Beady Eye gigs over last night :confused:

Still, really enjoyed the music and can't wait to see him again in Barcelona in a couple of weeks in what is a much smaller venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Last night was my first time to ever go to a concert. I would agree that alot of people were more interested in the oasis songs than the new ones but I knew all the songs from the new album so could sing along to them all. Noel gave a top performance. Everybody's on the run and what a life were both excellent. bit annoyed at the way a lot went to the bar during the likes of the good rebel. Looking forward to his new album especially given how good freakey teeth sounds live.

Highlights were supersonic especially the piano on it and whatever. Absolute orgasm on the ears. Will definitely try and go and see the chief again in Croker in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Anyone got a link to the full set list?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Not to mention the constant stream of spit that some people were flicking
    towards the front of the crowd and the big fight that kicked off next to me ... about 10 people involved in it. Blood all over the place afterwards. Too many people beered and spliffed up for my liking.

A very good gig though ... the choir and brass section worked well, nice to
    see Noel playing his own solos - although he can't play them like Gem !
    Also nice to see an artist engage in genuine banter with the crowd (the
    Man City stuff, the ole, ole quips etc) rather than just telling us we are wonderful.
    Noel always did play his own solos, Gem played the fills when Noel was singing but Noel done 90% of the lead guitar work. Have to say Tim Smith has come on leaps since October he's doing pretty much everything that Gem would've. I know Tim was a late replacement in the band for Macca so maybe he wasn't fully familiar with the songs at first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

From his blog..
    Well, so the gig in Dublin was somewhat predictably supermegadoubletop!!!!

Another great, great crowd. They've done that venue up, and all… I really, really like it… Well done!!!!

Some girl flashed me too!! (Which was nice.) TWICE!! Just in case I hadn't noticed the first time, which of course I had. Thanks anyway. Much obliged.

Flew into Manchester airport yesterday and guess who I saw? Go on, guess… You'll never guess… MARADONA!!!! MARA-****IN'-DONA!!!! I've met him before, but still… Maradona? Wonder what he's doing here in Manchester? Visiting Agüero, maybe? Or hopefully come to give Tévez a clip round the ear and tell him to sort his head out!!

Off to Sheffield tonight. Playing the big arena. Always a bit special for me this gig as it was Oasis' first ever arena gig, and also where 'Don't Look Back In Anger' was aired for the first time! Good times…

Gotta scarper back to London straight after though. Got rehearsals for them Brits tomorrow. Is that a major pain in the arse I can feel forming? I think it bloody well is!!

ONWARDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I thought there was a muted reaction for the solo material at both the Belfast and Dublin gigs, it was the Oasis songs that most people were there for. Noel seemed chuffed, he always had great time for the Point gigs, the crowd always gave them a great welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

A wonderful gig!
    So many highlights but Supersonic was absolutely brilliant with just Noel and the piano.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Len Brennan

Amazing gig but just wished hed played Talk Tonight just him and the guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Brilliant gig. Loved Supersonic and Talk Tonight, and I thought that the new stuff fitted in great with the older Oasis stuff.

I agree that the atmosphere was slightly lacking, but there's always a risk of that happening when an artist goes solo and has a big back catalogue from a previous band, the crowd gets split between new and old fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I though it was a good gig. It didn't have a patch on the Olypmia gig. I came out of Beady Eye gigs wayyy more buzzing than Friday night as well.

- Crowd were there for Oasis. 100%. As for The Good Rebel that is definetly a tune where hitting the bar is a good call. I think Noel even said it beforehand?

- As for beer throwing this is like a Gallagher gig ritual. Don't go near the front if your not prepared to get soaked. I have been hit with beer plenty times, for the Beady Eye Olympia gig I was totally soaked but didn't mind - it's part of the craic.

- You're always gonna get lots of drugs at a Gallagher gig and most gigs in general. You gotta ignore it.

- I thought the sound was good. There was a good few 'screechy' moments after songs that really wrecked my head. That was really poor imo, other than that you could hear Noel and the band very well.

- Choir were good - we were jokingly singing along with the choir for a few tunes.

- Relaxed enough gig. I put this down to NG drawing a slightly older crowd who's moshing days are over (no offence)!! If you aren't at the front you will 100% talk and go to the bar which is fair enough really.

- Song of the night was Supersonic.

After Friday I have started to develop a serious grievance against Noel. Pretty much EVERYTHING is planned and nothing is 'ad lib'.

I manged to go to the Late Late Show. The whole interview was rehearsed. Like they even had the emerald sweets to give him. The whole thing with the Dublin players was cringey (im a dublin football fan). Basically there was no curveball for Noel - same fcuking questions as every interview he's done lately.

The set list. I know this dates back to Oasis days but come on. He has a MASSIVE back catalogue yet he plays the exact same set list, in the exact same order, every night. For this reason I may not go to Croker. It will be the same night out that I've had twice already with maybe one song changed. Waste of money and effort.

I've heard from a few people that the interaction with the crowd was pretty much the same as Belfast the previous night.

Basically NG is a money grabber who puts zero thought or effort into shows or interviews. While this wasn't news to me, it was the first time I ever gave it proper thought and he has certainly gone down a bit in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

super gig .... .great night all round....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Live4Ever wrote: »
    I've heard from a few people that the interaction with the crowd was pretty much the same as Belfast the previous night.

Any examples?

Fago123 wrote: »
    Any examples?

Apparently, and I wasn't there so I am open to correction, the whole 'Stewart' thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Fago123 wrote: »
    Any examples?
    Live4Ever wrote: »
    Apparently, and I wasn't there so I am open to correction, the whole 'Stewart' thing???

Yeah, he definitely did the whole "Stewart" thing up in Belfast too.

My mate went to both gigs and he couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

What is the "Stewart" thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Great gig, tempted now to get tickets for the RHCP

I recorded this, last song of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Was a great night, would have loved to hear The Masterplan though. What was the whole Stewart thing about? I was on a dash to the toilet at that point, something to do with the keyboard player?

• Advertisement

What is the "Stewart" thing?
    mutley18 wrote: »
    Was a great night, would have loved to hear The Masterplan though. What was the whole Stewart thing about? I was on a dash to the toilet at that point, something to do with the keyboard player?

Can't really remember... Something about calling the trumpet player Stewart which as Noel explained, isn't his name at all??

Anyway, it was a flop. It was a unfunny joke being told for the second night in a row (that we know of, it could be more). Pretty lame tbh.

I prefer being told by Liam (as he shouts down the mic) that we're all cúnts then listening to NG recite unfunny, pre-rehearsed jokes.

Advertisement