Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox flashing

• 23-10-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Lads I have two xboxs that I would like to flash. One is the old fat white type which is already flashed but not sure which firmware. The second is a new slim with the flashable liteon drive. The last time I did it was a via sata card installed in a dell with the usb360. Now I only have a laptop to had and wondered whats the best kit to buy. I have no problem paying to have them done but with all the changes in updates would like to have the ability to update firmware as I need it. Appreciate any pointers to kit that will work with a laptop.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

cubix wrote: »
    Lads I have two xboxs that I would like to flash. One is the old fat white type which is already flashed but not sure which firmware. The second is a new slim with the flashable liteon drive. The last time I did it was a via sata card installed in a dell with the usb360. Now I only have a laptop to had and wondered whats the best kit to buy. I have no problem paying to have them done but with all the changes in updates would like to have the ability to update firmware as I need it. Appreciate any pointers to kit that will work with a laptop.

Thanks

Try this thread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056428077?page=1#post_75071005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

;)

Just loaded the hacked firmware from the fat white xbox into jungle and its telling me it is Xtreme 5.2B, its a MS28 drive. Can anyone tell me how old this is and if I try to load the latest dashboard whats the likely out come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

the likely out come will be a failed update and it will hang on the update screen constantly making it un playable,

solution: restore drive to original stock firmware, the Samsung_Pre_13141 one, **Make sure you save the current FW so you have the key before flashing**

then that should get you back if you in the update loop, then connect to live or get the latest update from xbox.com slap it on a usb stick and apply the update,

once your on the very latest dashboard version, flash your samsung to the newly released 2.01 and its smooth sailing till the next big update when microsoft might shake things up a bit

Cheers, if I was to flash the drive back to the original firmware and update to the latest dashboard would below happen as outlined by TV in another post or is that just the newer drives

"It depends on if the chip is lockable or not. MXIC chips should be fine, Winbond chips aren't and a dashboard update may lock the IC

• Advertisement

that info is for the xbox slim liteon dvd drives.

the old samsung's are not effected by this,

Thanks for the confirmation;). Can some also confirm that the usb360 that I got many moons ago is now defunked and that I will need to by the x360usb pro and an external power adapter(4pin molex. I have seen some mega bundles for sale with these items but it also has a ck3 lite included, why would you need this bit of kit.

if you own the usb one in your first pic you should be good to go, you can power the dvd drive using the xbox itself, or get a ck3,

or get one of the fine people in the modders thread to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads how do i know what drive my slim has ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You open it up. You can read version number off the sticker on the drive. Then you find the type of chip you open the DVD drive.

• Advertisement

if its a slim bought a while ago it will be a liteon drive, question is what chip is on it and the only way to know is by opening the xbox and then the dvd drive, if you have a winbond its risky to flash as you have to drill or solder into the chip to unlock it so it can be flashed, or you can buy a unlocked board for about $50,

here is a pic to tell the differance between the chips

mt_win.jpg

Advertisement