Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from upstairs apartment

Options
  • 23-10-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have lived in a 70's apartment for 2 years with no problems until august just gone. The tennents upstairs have got really noisy, I don't know if its a change in tennent or a change in flooring.

They seem to be constantly stomping arount their apartment, particularly in the early hours. We hear them going to the toilet, we hear the water pump going at all hours of the night. I don't know how someone can walk around so much banging wardrobe doors, windows etc. Moving furniture and generally stomping everywhere.

I have tried ear plugs but they don't fully block the stomping as the pitch is too low. We have alerted the mgmt company but they are not interested.

I am now at the point of wanting to make noise that will travel up to their apartment so they might understand what its like. Any suggestions how to do this as I'm not sure if music will travel up.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

If you know which apartment, a note under the door might help. Otherwise, different tactics are called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

if you play load music you could disturb the neighbours on either side not really fair and probably wont achieve anything, maybe they got new flooring and they are just walking around normally and its not their fault at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

People in apartments can only use certain flooring, it's governed by law believe it or not. I'm not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

use the end of a broom/brush/mop handle to bang on the ceiling exactly following the footsteps. every step they make, you make a corresponding bang.

also, if they are getting to bed that late they probably wouldn't appreciate you doing the same thing at 7am. just saying.

i'd recommend just going up and having a chat with them first though. could be as simple as some bloke just got a new girl who always wears heels. if you get into the war of noise, it will only make things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

the problem does not lie with the tenant, the tenant can walk/stomp around and open and close doors/windows anytime they like. if they were blaring the music all hours then that would be a different story but they are only doing what is normal in walking on their floor and going to the toilet in their own apartment. the sound-proofing seems to be terrible so you should dig deeper to get this problem sorted.

the problem lies with the build of the building. so until the authorities or someone else fixes the sound-proofing it seems you might be stuck with it, but you should look into it with the landlord or owner of the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

headmaster wrote: »
    People in apartments can only use certain flooring, it's governed by law believe it or not. I'm not joking.
    Hi,
    Do you have any info on this - sounds promising.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As it only happened suddenly, I'm thinking they got wooden floorboards; they tend to increase the noise people can hear below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

maybe you just got neighbours upstairs for the first time

I'd think you should discuss it with your landlord see what the landlord has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

It is in the lease, sometimes the lease states that only carpet can be used (as an example). What is in the lease is law, enforcing it is a different problem.

Contact the Management Company perhaps they have a managing agent, perhaps there are also house rules about noise. For example TV cannot be used after 11pm, unless headphones are used.

Hope this is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

headmaster wrote: »
    it's governed by law believe it or not. I'm not joking.

I don't believe it. It might be part of the purchase lease agreement, but it's not "governed by law". If the lease doesn't restrict flooring types, the owner can put down whatever they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I had this problem.
    When I put in my flooring I put down extra soundproofing over the existing rubber insulation. It appears that when the girl above put down her floors, they removed the rubber insulation & floated the floor on the concrete. The effect was that we could her her every footstep.
    Sadly there was nothing I could do. It's not something you can readily prove.

the_syco wrote: »
    As it only happened suddenly, I'm thinking they got wooden floorboards; they tend to increase the noise people can hear below them.

The house rules state that no alterations, including flooring changes, can be made without consent of the mgmt company.

I have been on to the mgmt company for 3 months with not so much as a reply

mbiking123 wrote: »

It is in the lease, sometimes the lease states that only carpet can be used (as an example). What is in the lease is law, enforcing it is a different problem.

Contact the Management Company perhaps they have a managing agent, perhaps there are also house rules about noise. For example TV cannot be used after 11pm, unless headphones are used.

Hope this is of some help

In the house rules it states that no noise, including mechanical or electric noise, should be audible outside the apartment between 11pm - 9am.

Could u consider walking mechanical? I have already mentioned to the mgmt company that their water pump is very loud and also causing issue in the early hours of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

In the house rules it states that no noise, including mechanical or electric noise, should be audible outside the apartment between 11pm - 9am.

To me no noise means no noise, what it includes does not matter. You are suffering with noise and I would leave it to the managing agent to resolve (if there is one)

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Pebbles68

Section 23 of the MUD(Multi Unit Development) Bill has been law since January of this year. It covers house rules and noise.

23.—(1) An owners’ management company may, as respects the
    multi-unit development for which that company has responsibility,
    make house rules as respects the development or part of the development
    relating to the effective operation and maintenance of the
    development and with the objective of enhancing the quiet and
    peaceable occupation of units generally in the development, and such
    house rules shall be binding on—
    15 (a) unit owners,
    (b) tenants of unit owners, and
    (c) servants, agents and licensees

I would send an email to the Managing agent and cc. your landlord.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi,
    I have lived in a 70's apartment for 2 years with no problems until august just gone. The tennents upstairs have got really noisy, I don't know if its a change in tennent or a change in flooring.

They seem to be constantly stomping arount their apartment, particularly in the early hours. We hear them going to the toilet, we hear the water pump going at all hours of the night. I don't know how someone can walk around so much banging wardrobe doors, windows etc. Moving furniture and generally stomping everywhere.

I have tried ear plugs but they don't fully block the stomping as the pitch is too low. We have alerted the mgmt company but they are not interested.

I am now at the point of wanting to make noise that will travel up to their apartment so they might understand what its like. Any suggestions how to do this as I'm not sure if music will travel up.

Thanks

Absolutely understand what your going through mate.

I have something similiar with 2 Gobsh1ts who installed wooden floors living above me.

I got my place insulated as what the cowboys (builders) had was virtually non existant

Get onto your brief and look into the Lease agreement.

If they are in breach of the lease wrt wooden floors then take a civil action for breach of Lease.

Alternatively you could go to the District Court for a Noise Abatement order under The Environment Protection Agency Act section 108. Just submit your file to the district court clerk and they will set a date for the court case.

You have to serve notice on your neighbour or send it by registered letter if you do not wish to confront them.

You can do this on your own or get you brief to do it for you and represent you in court.

Start logging all noise and time and dates and how long for outside of the House Rules hours.

I will be going down this road with the individuals living above me as I believe in Karma in this life:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

Also dealing with noisy upstairs neighbours, so i feel your pain!
    They have wooden floors etc and the noise i hear from them is constant and very irritating-enough to drive you slowly insane!

kravmaga- you say that you put in additional insulation-did it help with your noise issues? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

fonzy157 wrote: »
    They have wooden floors etc and the noise i hear from them is constant and very irritating-enough to drive you slowly insane!

kravmaga- you say that you put in additional insulation-did it help with your noise issues? Thanks

Having same problem myself with neighbours above. Constant noise walking across the floor. Would be interested to hear bout any additional insulation/ cost / how effective and what noise it blocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

fonzy157 wrote: »

Yes I got a guy in to do this and it has made a difference.

The 2 twats living above me have the place up for sale now which is a result.

I have an agreement with the management company that any new buyer will have to take up the wooden floors as its breach of the lease agreement with Management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The house rules state that no alterations, including flooring changes, can be made without consent of the mgmt company.

I have been on to the mgmt company for 3 months with not so much as a reply
    I would definitely think it is a wood floor that is casuing your problem. You should call up to them and talk to them. They are going to know it is you complaining anyway. If they are made take it up they won't be happy no matter what.

Even with no noise rule there is no way you can win if it just using the appartment that causes noise. As stated then it is just a construction problem.

If it is just a different tenant that keeps different hours and nothing else changed you won't have much luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement