Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WD40 & Rain

• 23-10-2011 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

OK, with Winter here and with it the Rain, never tried this before but was thinking of first off putting on Muc-Off Wet Lub on chain, then WD40 the whole bike, to keep the rain from sticking.

is this a good idea looking out my Window and guess what Its Raining.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

The age old story of WD40. Most mechanics in the world would say it is the worst thing you could put on your bike. Yet, those people don't live in Cork.

I've heard good stories here of people using WD40 and I always thought they're crazy. Me myself just use normal lube. But I do need to relube it every 4 to 2 months depending on the amount of rain. Much more often than in the other countries I've lived in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

If you want the rain to bead off the bike, either use a wax polish or something with teflon.

I presume your talking about everything other than drivetrain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Every 2 or 4 months?
    Jesus, I clean and relube my chain every two weeks. I don't like my chain and everything it touches being black!

Do you mean cover the frame in WD40?
    Would that not just get really messy?
    I use it to clean my bike sometimes as it's an alright degreaser but I wouldn't just leave it all over the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

[QUOTE=CianRyan;75083243

Do you mean cover the frame in WD40?
    Would that not just get really messy?
    I use it to clean my bike sometimes as it's an alright degreaser but I wouldn't just leave it all over the bike.[/QUOTE]

Its designed to evaporate and leave a protective film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

CianRyan wrote: »
    Every 2 or 4 months?
    Jesus, I clean and relube my chain every two weeks. I don't like my chain and everything it touches being black!
    Every two weeks? My summer bike is cleaned and chain lubricated after every ride or at least every second spin.

WD40 is not suitable for lubricating bike chains or any parts of the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The frame does not need protecting from rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

^^^^^^
    What he said!
    If you insist on putting an extra layer of protection on the frame get a good car wax. I can imagine WD40 only doing the opposite and anything that hits the bike will end up sticking to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I use GT85 (smells better than WD40) all the time to clean my bike frames and to give light lubrication to mechs, pedals etc - works really well and doesn't leave a sticky residue! It is not a suitable chain lubricant but has lots of other uses! Gives a lovely sheen to aluminium frames!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I put on Muc-Off Lube dry or wet before a bike ride. but in the Rain i want some thing that can just give the chain and breaks etc every thing but the Frame that extra bit of a durable layer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Doesn't the paint keep the rain from the frame? What are you worried about anyway, its not like its gonna rust. I find the idea of this a bit bizarre and possibly OCD. The same applies to washing and relubing the chain after every spin. I am just a noob though, and might reach this level of obsession some day*

*I won't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

But I do need to relube it every 4 to 2 months
    :eek: My chain begins to get noisy if I don'tclean and relube it every 3 to 4 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Seweryn wrote: »
    Every two weeks? My summer bike is cleaned and chain lubricated after every ride or at least every second spin.

Wow! That's quite a lot. How often do you do your winter bike - daily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Wow! That's quite a lot. How often do you do your winter bike - daily?
    No, it still has the thick factory applied lubricant, which lasts longer, but after that I believe once-twice a week will do (which is every 100-150km).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I know off a lad in the club that cleans and re-oils his mtb chain after every ride.Having said that,I suppose its only takes him 10 minutes,so not too much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Guess I need to up my cleaning game so! I'm very good at letting it sit in its post ride condition time after time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I use my commuter bike every working day all year. I clean the chain with a rag soaked in diesel every week or so. If its very dirty i use an old toothbrush with diesel. I then run a clean rag soaked in diesel over the chain. I get about 18 months (12K kilometres) on a chain. Diesel leaves a slight oily film on the chain so I never use lubricant
    The best part is you can keep reusing the diesel. Just pour it back into a container and let the dirt settle to the bottom. Then you can use the clean diesel off the top again the following week.

Works for me..

Just have to say i am very happy with the way WD40 Cleaned my Bike.. was going to go for a spin today and saw the wind and rain... so i stay put and cleaned it with WD40 the Chain looks really Great, cleaned every thing with it, i wait till 2moro and see will it clear up and if it does i will take it out the back and use Muc-Off cleaning gear and chain cleaner just to get into the gaps but must say it clean the dirt that muc off cleaning spary couldnt..

i only thing is i think the Fork which are carbon is after getting lighter from it.(paint wise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Have you condsidered getting your bike shrink wrapped or powder coated, you know...just to be safe, like?

el tel wrote: »
    Have you condsidered getting your bike shrink wrapped or powder coated, you know...just to be safe, like?

Not a bad idea I must say not a bad idea at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I keep my bikes protected from the rain with Collonite 915 wax and by never actually riding them.

• Advertisement

try putting it on your wheels in the rain.. i hear you go that extra bit faster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I know off a lad in the club that cleans and re-oils his mtb chain after every ride.Having said that,I suppose its only takes him 10 minutes,so not too much of a problem.
    i used to do that until 2 years ago , but not any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

:eek: My chain begins to get noisy if I don'tclean and relube it every 3 to 4 weeks!

Different bikes need different cleaning. I have a cube hooper with mudguards, this is an internal hub gear.

I chose that bike because I didn't want to deal with cleaning every 3 weeks. I'm crap at cleaning and relubing the drivetrain. I follow every step of the book but it still comes out worse than when I bring it to the shops and it doesn't last as long.

Advertisement