Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best isp for louth (mell,drogheda)

• 23-10-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i moved house recently,to oldbridge estate up mell and am looking to get internet in,
    i need 7mb min but would rather the 24mb, i know these ratings are "up to" that speed so i really need to be gettin 7mb out of the line min, need it for online gaming so stronger connection the better

so any advice?
    ps.digiweb,magnet and upc are not a option for various reasons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

hi,
    i moved house recently,to oldbridge estate up mell and am looking to get internet in,
    i need 7mb min but would rather the 24mb, i know these ratings are "up to" that speed so i really need to be gettin 7mb out of the line min, need it for online gaming so stronger connection the better

so any advice?

why is digiweb out?
    Your choices are limited to wireless or eircom (and resellers). you will then be limited to whatever your phone line can support, could be as low as 1Mbs.

Try http://www.net1.ie as a cheaper alternative to eircom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Net1 can deliver 6 up and 6 down for less than 50 a month

http://www.net1.ie/pages/?title1=packages

very gamer friendly unlike DSL which is severely interleaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

hi,

so any advice?

If you are connected to the Drogheda Exchange (DBC1) you might be able to get Vodafone's LLU product. But I have the feeling you might be a bit too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That particular estate will be fine for 7 mbps I'd say but preferably with one of the LLU providers. Don't know if Magnet are in the area. Perhaps Vodafone can sell you Enhanced Broadband for your line which should work. On a technical note, the attenuation value should be about 30 dB or so which is enough for at least 6 mbps on regular ADSL like for the standard eircom packages or maybe 9 mbps on the ADSL2+ services from eircom or Vodafone or Magnet (if available)

Net1 for some inexplicable reason have decided not to have any base station in Drogheda, the nearest ones to cover Mell, particularly Oldbridge housing estate (in a valley right beside the boyne) would be Mount Oriel, possibly the one on Fieldstown Hill or maybe Julianstown at a long shot. So Net1 won't work in Mell. (Their coverage map is a lot more optimistic than it used to be). Digiweb Metro should be available but it's pricey if you want over 5mbps or so.

SB, severely interleaved? The highest interleaving I've seen on phone lines in this country is for what they put on the likes of the amber lines or some of the highest speed packages or business bb packages, 64/8 bit depth. 55ms ping times are still okay even for shooter games despite what some gamers say. With the BT-based LLU stuff ping times won't be above the 30s on a working line.

Advertisement