Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brouhaha - I Want You

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i like it ,

i do think the bass, vocals are fairly loud though, drums are lost and thin sounding .

vocals sound maybe a little too dry effects wise ?

drums as well, sound a bit too dry - as if they were real drums in a small room .

i think if you are trying for a dry mix , with little reverb , then you need alot more punch in the drums .

i like the vocal recording sound as well. << how are you doing this .

and how are you recording bass ?

good stuff .

subnote : listend to the others , easy 2011 mix also suffers the low drum punch .

i think you are being to shy with your drum mixes - need to bring them up / forward a bit more .
    i think they would be nice and big mixes with a bit more drum punch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks DaDumTish,
    Mix-wise, I was trying for a heavier sounding mix than our previous stuff (which tended to be very polished/clean). So for this mix, I eased off on the reverbs & made the bass & guitars more prominent in the mix.

The singer records the vox in her sitting room using an SE Reflexion Filter (same as the one I have in my place). After a bit of trial & error with placement I think she's getting a great sound now. As far as I remember, I think she uses one of those TBone mics. She tried my SE2200 but felt it was a bit too harsh. The TBone suits her voice.

The bass is a fantastic sounding US Fender Precision DI'd. It’s played by the guitarist. I've run this through Amplitube & a compressor (can't remember which). A bit of overdrive on it too.

To be honest, I’m probably not paying enough attention to the drum sound these days. I’ve stopped experimenting with the sound engineering side of the drums.They do sound a bit limp – especially towards the end of the song when everything else is in full flight. I think I need to choose another snare… I love the sound of this one (Nir Z custom) but for some reason it lacks punch in the mix. A while back I started reinforcing the “acoustic” kick drum via Xdrum using the 808 kick from the Electronic EZX. It’s a super combination (although I toned it down in this mix).

A general comment I’d make on SD is that the kits seem to work best on mellower tracks. I find it difficult to get any real presence in the mix for heavier songs. Must be something I’m doing wrong in the processing.

I’ll take another look at this mix in the next few days. Thanks for the comments.

Have you any new stuff recorded?... would love to compare notes on your drum sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ah that all makes sense - i love that bass guitar.

yeah im recording away and improving my mix skills every day ,
    never thought it would take me so long though ! must be at it 5 years now.

I can get nice big punchy drums , its all in the gain staging and a bit of parallel compression , with some targeted eq = mainly cuts .

the gain staging is the hard bit - get that right and the mix falls together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Love the track.
    Guitar is dragging a bit making the whole song sound a bit disjointed.
    The guitars are very scratchy at about 4K(ish).
    The kit sounds very light. Needs much more weight but thats hard to get without good room mics to let you suck up the energy in the room between hits.
    Try starting the mix from the drum overheads to see if that helps. Get the overheads sounding good by themselves then add the shell mics for definition.
    This will help you get more life into the kit.
    Vocal sounds really good but is a bit sharp in places. Reminds me of Nikka Costa a bit.
    I would love to record a track for your band. If you are interested I could do a free day in the studio for you after christmas. PM me.
    Michael

Love the track.
    Guitar is dragging a bit making the whole song sound a bit disjointed.
    The guitars are very scratchy at about 4K(ish).
    The kit sounds very light. Needs much more weight but thats hard to get without good room mics to let you suck up the energy in the room between hits.
    Try starting the mix from the drum overheads to see if that helps. Get the overheads sounding good by themselves then add the shell mics for definition.
    This will help you get more life into the kit.
    Vocal sounds really good but is a bit sharp in places. Reminds me of Nikka Costa a bit.
    I would love to record a track for your band. If you are interested I could do a free day in the studio for you after christmas. PM me.
    Michael

Jesus Mick, that's a fantastic offer - thanks a million! I've been out in your place a couple of times (most recently a couple of years back doing the boards Nickleback collab). You've a super set up with a great live drum sound.

We'd definately love to take you up on that after Christmas. I'll drop you a PM after I've had a chance to chat with the other 2 band members.

Thanks again!

I'll go back over that mix & start with the room mics like you suggested. I normally start with the closed kick, then snare, then hats, then toms... and finally the overheads & room mics.

• Advertisement

Remixed the kit starting with overhead & room mics. Has a much more punchy/live sound now I think. I also put an 808 kick under the main kick to add some liathroidi.I cut some high EQ from the gtrs & vox.

Final mix up on Soundcloud now.

Thanks DDT & Trackmix for the comments/suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paddyhunt

The vocals in the first verse need to sit a lot better in the mix, their too loud. The snare is very small sounding... needs way more 'oomph'. The guitars need a lot more life in them, they could be brightened up and made less low middy. Maybe a better distortion as well. The backing vocal production is very good though and actually apart from the first verse the vocals are well mixed.

Good effort!

Advertisement