Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you let hunting people on your land?

• 23-10-2011 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

hunting season is starting next week, anyway looked up the fields this morning and there are 3 guys with dogs going across the fields... i dont know them , now i am a but peeved that they think they have the right to walk across my land with out asking me ... if someone asks me i will let them ... so what would you do? I have neighbours who go for walks everyday but they know the run of things around here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

whelan1 wrote: »
    hunting season is starting next week, anyway looked up the fields this morning and there are 3 guys with dogs going across the fields... i dont know them , now i am a but peeved that they think they have the right to walk across my land with out asking me ... if someone asks me i will let them ... so what would you do? I have neighbours who go for walks everyday but they know the run of things around here...

We let the local lads do it but they have to be kept on their toes too. Gave them a bit of a warning a few years ago after they went home and left their beagles for the night. Needless to say our bullocks had gone through a few farms of land the next morning. Its hard to say no to locals even though you might not want them there. Last year there was lads up from Cork with beagles. I watched them for a half an hour from about a mile away chasing my neighbours cattle and sheep from one end of a 40 acre field to the other. Rang the neighbour and he didnt know who they were and he came up and cleared them out of it and told them not to come back. I dont mind the locals shooting cause they have been doing it here since before I was around and cause no trouble but I hate beagles, They always seem to lose them or something and they will stay running after stock day and night, In my opinion they shouldnt be let loose at all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We don't allow it at all, never did.
    Between dogs, knocked fences, gates left open and the risk of someone getting injured...
    No to everyone, gun club are well used to it now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I shoot myself, so......

The only one I let shoot it without me is the regular guy I go lamping with. Other than that, anyone who's been there shooting, to my knowledge anyway, has been with me in tow.

I have ran people for shooting there because:
    • They didn't ask me, which is just rude.
    • One of them almost shot me accidentally.
    • They were doing nothing of benefit to me, and bothering ewes in with the ram.

All that said, there are a lot of very responsible hunters on the go. No more than farming, a lot of chancers too. But the chancers will usually just go do it and never ask anyhow. If the fella who takes the time to ask you and doesn't have a bad rep around the place, worse could be done than letting them have a go and see how it works out. Many shooters especially will have insurance also, just in case of accidents or injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I wouldnt let anyone hunt on my land, I thought you needed the land owners permission to legally shoot on the land anyway. Call the Gardai if your not clear, dont take chances when guns are involved, know what you can and should do and what hunters can and cant do.

Never safe to have people shooting when you dont know they are there.

If it was me I'd go out and tell them they cant shoot on my land and to pass the word on. Most hunters will probably be fine with that and move to another area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I imagine a lot of people who don't want them on their land will bite their tongue rather than confront the armed people in a confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thanks lads, a bit of manners is all i want, how would they like me walking my dog in their back garden... i am going to get signs tomorrow and put them up, i texted a local lad and let him know i am not happy, he is in the gun club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I got good advice here on this last year. Put up signs. Contact local gun club. Contact Gardai and let them know you have had unwanted trespassers upsetting the cattle (and sheep?) and they will be alerted that you are having ongoing problems and will be quicker to respond (Within a week rather than a month:rolleyes:). After that it would be in your rights to confront them but i wouldnt do it alone ie without witnesses but this would be a last last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

5live wrote: »
    I got good advice here on this last year. Put up signs. Contact local gun club. Contact Gardai and let them know you have had unwanted trespassers upsetting the cattle (and sheep?) and they will be alerted that you are having ongoing problems and will be quicker to respond (Within a week rather than a month:rolleyes:). After that it would be in your rights to confront them but i wouldnt do it alone ie without witnesses but this would be a last last resort

In addition to the above a small add in the classifieds in the local paper, Of your intentions to preserve land, will soon get the word around, as these small adds section are full of notices from landowners and gun clubs alike.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

I let them hunt /shoot ,i think life is too short .When i had sheep i was glad to call on local hunters to shoot foxes that were taking lambs.
    There seems to be less people hunting anyhow and there seems to be an abundance of foxes pheasants crows rabbits e.t.c.

I let them hunt /shoot ,i think life is too short .When i had sheep i was glad to call on local hunters to shoot foxes that were taking lambs.
    There seems to be less people hunting anyhow and there seems to be an abundance of foxes pheasants crows rabbits e.t.c.
    If these people actually had the manners to ask could they shoot on my land i would let them , its the atitude that they can go where they want that annoys me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Large Tresspassers will be Prosecuted next to No Hunting signage I would have thought makes clear a landowners feelings if they don't want hunting on their land. The problem here is a few Jackasses who fup things up for everybody, both farmer and law abiding hunter alike. The type who wilfully tresspass without permission don't give a toss about the law anyway and then things proceed into the criminal sphere which makes this issue more or less the same as crimes like breaking and entering etc.

i was glad to call on local hunters to shoot foxes that were taking lambs.

And that is a good thing and should be encouraged - Gun club members will dispatch vermin efficiently and legally via shooting and trapping. But it must be done with the permission of the landowner which I think is what our friend is trying to get at.:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    And that is a good thing and should be encouraged - Gun club members will dispatch vermin effeciently and legally via shooting and trapping. But it must be done with the permission of the landowner which I think is what our friend is trying to get at.:)
    yes the more i think about it the more annoyed i am.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Birdnuts wrote: »
    And that is a good thing and should be encouraged - Gun club members will dispatch vermin effeciently and legally via shooting and trapping. But it must be done with the permission of the landowner which I think is what our friend is trying to get at.:)
    yes the more i think about it the more annoyed i am.....
    Do we actually own the shooting rights of our land?
    Too the best of my hnowledge I don't
    local gun club have most of my land in their sanctury.no probs with the local responcable guys shooting vermen but they are clear dogs not under control will be shot and u use the gate

epfff wrote: »
    Do we actually own the shooting rights of our land?

AFAIK know yes - shooting from public rights of way like shorelines etc. could be a different matter though but in this case people would still not be entitled on to nearby private land without the owners permission. These hunters would also need a special licence from the NPWS to engage to engage in these activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

As with everything , there are good and bad. All gun club members will have the NARGC insurance which covers all risk to landowner .
    Any decent gun club should send a representive around landowners before the season starts to ask permission . You dont want every individual member asking you.If a club dont do this they dont deserve access to your land and you should let them know.

If individuals ask you , demand to see their insurance card otherwise say no.
    Put notices in local paper and erect signs.

IF A GUN CLUB HAVE NOT ASKED CURRENT OWNERS PERMISSION ARE THEY INSURED?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

No and if they were smart they would get the permission in writing.

Don't allow the hunters after what I saw, A group of french lads had been taken in by a local and had surrounded a woodland and were proceeding to shoot everything that came out of it. Ran them and permanant ban with signs, but there are still the few chancers every year that dont mind leaving cartriges behind them. Would love to catch them red handed.

Oldtree wrote: »

Don't allow the hunters after what I saw, A group of french lads had been taken in by a local and had surrounded a woodland and were proceeding to shoot everything that came out of it. Ran them and permanant ban with signs, but there are still the few chancers every year that dont mind leaving cartriges behind them. Would love to catch them red handed.

To be fair, Irish hunters are probably the most law-abiding in the world - in contrast I would agree that some of the continental types are dangerous nutters!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

One or two on foot is ok as you say once they ask permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

No hunters allowed on our lands and if they come anyway we run them off. I am sick of them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Same here, don't like them on the land. A few years ago with cattle out late I found a main fence nicely wound back around a post. Cattle had decided to go to the neighbours land. He is sound and didn't have a problem with it. But the only one around were the local gun club.

Banned them since. Had to clear one B*****x last year who I watched for an hour trying to sneak in. I was up on the digger, he still crossed the land on the prowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of guns or blowing away pheasants for hours on end but...

Our local gun club are very responsible, obey the Sanctuary signs and are pretty good about avoiding fences, stock etc.

We get the odd clown but actually the gun club are good at policing it themselves. They also hold a raffle for the landowners every year with bottles of whiskey etc.

Not crazy about the whole thing but our experience has been pretty positive so I wouldn't like to see all gunmen tarred with the one brush. Hunting is as much a part of the Irish countryside as rearing cattle imo.

jay gatsby wrote: »
    I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of guns or blowing away pheasants for hours on end but...

Our local gun club are very responsible, obey the Sanctuary signs and are pretty good about avoiding fences, stock etc.

We get the odd clown but actually the gun club are good at policing it themselves. They also hold a raffle for the landowners every year with bottles of whiskey etc.

Not crazy about the whole thing but our experience has been pretty positive so I wouldn't like to see all gunmen tarred with the one brush. Hunting is as much a part of the Irish countryside as rearing cattle imo.
    do they ask permission each year to go on your land?

do they ask permission each year to go on your land?

Members who are regular visitors over the years don't - I guess if we changed our minds they would expect us to notify the club which is fine by us. New members normally would drop up to the house to let us know they are in.

Occasionally non-members come and ask too, we just tell them the gun club has dibs so they need to talk with them.

Of course we have had the occasional case where someone is in a sanctuary but normally a quick word sorts it. i guess we're just lucky that the lads in the local club are ok

i have just sent a text to a young lad i know who is in the gun club , i am awaiting his reply... i was a bit snotty. i said seeing as how no one has seen fit to ask my permission to shoot on my land for insurance purposes i am not letting any of the gun club members in :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone have problems with hunters as opposed to shooters? Not far from us a guy has about 60 - 100 hunting dogs. He hires them out to those horse riding hunts on a regular basis. But often on a sunday afternoon he just lets them out and if they pick up the scent of a fox they will follow it for miles through ditches and drains, sheep and cattle. They have come across our land a few times and they owner has been following them in a van by road. While they don't chase sheep when following the fox, when they pass through a flock of sheep, the sheep run in every direction and we have often had to take them out of wire, bushes and drains because of it. When we confront the owner, he says that there's nothing that he can do about it because the dogs are only following the scent.

Ourselves and several of the neighbours have suffered for years with this guy and his dogs. He also argues that there was no sign placed where the dogs entered to say no hunting. How can you place signs when they may have come through the ditch from another neighbour's land?? As a group, we have consulted with the gardai, but they say that there is little that they can do unless the dogs are actively chasing sheep. Because the owner tends to follow them by road, he is not trespassing.

It's a hell of a mess!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Any one else find it laughable that the local Gunclub hang plastic feeders for the pheasants. I could catch about a half dozen of them by hand if I wanted to. What's the point, like shooting fish in a barrel.

That is a bloody mess - while I don't mind the gunmen I have no time for the Hunt. local one asked permission froma few landowners around us last year but was told no by everyone.

Could you stand in the field with a shot gun and threaten to shoot the dogs - as a warning I mean (not condoning actually shooting them). Who's to say whether they are a hazard to the sheep or not? would you be within your rights to protect your stock as you see fit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone have problems with hunters as opposed to shooters? Not far from us a guy has about 60 - 100 hunting dogs. He hires them out to those horse riding hunts on a regular basis. But often on a sunday afternoon he just lets them out and if they pick up the scent of a fox they will follow it for miles through ditches and drains, sheep and cattle. They have come across our land a few times and they owner has been following them in a van by road. While they don't chase sheep when following the fox, when they pass through a flock of sheep, the sheep run in every direction and we have often had to take them out of wire, bushes and drains because of it. When we confront the owner, he says that there's nothing that he can do about it because the dogs are only following the scent.

Ourselves and several of the neighbours have suffered for years with this guy and his dogs. He also argues that there was no sign placed where the dogs entered to say no hunting. How can you place signs when they may have come through the ditch from another neighbour's land?? As a group, we have consulted with the gardai, but they say that there is little that they can do unless the dogs are actively chasing sheep. Because the owner tends to follow them by road, he is not trespassing.

It's a hell of a mess!!

We would have similiar issues - although not to the same extent. There are some harrier clubs around us, that seem to be let the dogs lose on one side of the parish, and leave them go wherever they want. :( :mad:

But - I have had words with a few of them, and I'd like to think they are actively trying to avoid our place now... Most were fair enough when I spoke to them.

We shall see I guess...

That is a bloody mess - while I don't mind the gunmen I have no time for the Hunt. local one asked permission froma few landowners around us last year but was told no by everyone.

Could you stand in the field with a shot gun and threaten to shoot the dogs - as a warning I mean (not condoning actually shooting them). Who's to say whether they are a hazard to the sheep or not? would you be within your rights to protect your stock as you see fit?

To be honest with you, its one of the main reasons why we went from 100 ewes down to 20. A neighbour had 2 lambs killed and about 50 with bite marks from 2 of these dogs that he suspects got lost from the pack when they were out hunting recently. he was able to catch the dogs and he had the Gardai out. When they brought the dogs to the pack owner, he denied that they were his, but he did offer to take them.They weren't chipped and had no tags or collars. There was no way to prove anything. Neighbour declined. He has warned the pack owner that he will shoot on sight if any dogs come onto his land. Pack owner has threatened that he will take everything he owns off the neighbour in court if any dogs are harmed. He says that his dogs are perfectly in their right to hunt fox's on any land that they choose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A dog i dont own in a field with my sheep without my permission is dangerous. If any sheep start to run then, by my definition, they are being chased as if the dog wasnt there they would not run. My ewes are 2 months from lambing when the f*****g shooting season starts so any disturbance means losses to my income with sheep in drains and stuck in fences. I cant go anywhere on sundays for the month of november till the rut has gone off the shooters as it is too expensive in knackery costs and aborted lambs and being unable to herd my sheep without them all running for the furthest corner of the field.

Zero tolerence is now my policy. BUT, if there are dogs disturbing sheep and their owner is present then the dogs can, in some cases, be deemed to be under control and you have no right to shoot. Be careful. The law can be a funny thing

He says that his dogs are perfectly in their right to hunt fox's on any land that they choose!![/QUOTE]

well the control of dogs act 1986 states that if you believe the dogs were responsible for harm to your animals and you have reasonable grounds for that belief you are allowed to shoot the dog.

But I know this is all easier said than done - that's a nightmare of a situation really

another major issue with me is that my daughter has an unreal fear of dogs since she was attacked last year, i do not want any loose dogs in my yard as she spends most of her time playing football out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

. Neighbour declined. He has warned the pack owner that he will shoot on sight if any dogs come onto his land. Pack owner has threatened that he will take everything he owns off the neighbour in court if any dogs are harmed.

Sorry but that is just a completly baseless threat, on what grounds can he take everything he has if a bloody dog or 2 are killed. Have ye had any proper legal advice? And i don't mean the Gardai.

• Advertisement

dog warden told me you are fully entitled to shoot on site if dogs are worrying your livestock... we did just that:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

We don't allow anyone onto our farm anymore. No shooting allowed for the last 20 years. We stopped it when we got into laying hens. Anybody who we had allowed in prior to this were very understanding. I shoot myself so know all the shooters in the locality and they all respect our wishes. I stress all the shooters. Its the fellas with the beagles who feel they have the God given right to cross every ditch and bounds they come across. Last year we had an incident where a harrier club (who are based about 10 miles away) came into our farm and drove our cattle stone mad. they broke out through the fence and whitethorn hedge into our neighbour. They felt it wasn't there fault. When my Dad landed on the scene with a rifle and told them that any dogs chasing the cattle would be shot it was a different story. They offered to help with getting the cattle back in. We told them to load up their dogs and go. When we got the cattle in we went around to our Neighbours and told them what happened and to keep an eye out. That club were ran from all the farms around us that day and they haven't been back. I really can't stand their attitude.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Sorry but that is just a completly baseless threat, on what grounds can he take everything he has if a bloody dog or 2 are killed. Have ye had any proper legal advice? And i don't mean the Gardai.

To be honest, it doesn't have a major impact on me anymore with only a small number of sheep. However the neighbour has taken legal advice, but he has also received a legal letter from the dog owner which complicates the whole situation. While, as farmers, we may be legally able to shoot dogs that may be chasing our animals, we must be able to prove that they were chasing them/worrying them. Its a legal minefield which basically comes down to an argument as to whether you can shoot trespassing dogs on your land that haven't drawn blood from your sheep. I don't know the answer. In the future, if the situation arises, it may need to be settled in court.

Now maybe the opposing solicitor is just throwing up legal tripe to confuse my neighbour, or maybe there is some point of law in it. Time will tell.

The following is taken from the control of Dogs Act and would seem to indicate that ye have very strong grounds for shooting the dogs when they are on yer lands.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0023.html#sec23

23.—(1) It shall be a defence to any action for damages against a person for the shooting of a dog, or to any charge arising out of the shooting of a dog, if the defendant proves that—
    (a) the dog was shot when it was worrying, or was about to worry, livestock and that there were no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or
    (b) (i) the dog was a stray dog which was in the vicinity of a place where livestock had been injured or killed, and
    (ii) the defendant reasonably believed that the dog had been involved in the injury or killing, and
    (iii) there were no practicable means of seizing the dog or ascertaining to whom it belonged; and
    (c) he was the person in charge of the livestock; and
    (d) he notified within forty-eight hours the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was shot of the incident.
    (2) The provisions of subsection (1) (a) and subsection (1) (b) (i) and (iii) of this section shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that those provisions had been satisfied and he had reasonable grounds for that belief

To be honest, it doesn't have a major impact on me anymore with only a small number of sheep. However the neighbour has taken legal advice, but he has also received a legal letter from the dog owner which complicates the whole situation. While, as farmers, we may be legally able to shoot dogs that may be chasing our animals, we must be able to prove that they were chasing them/worrying them. Its a legal minefield which basically comes down to an argument as to whether you can shoot trespassing dogs on your land that haven't drawn blood from your sheep. I don't know the answer. In the future, if the situation arises, it may need to be settled in court.

Now maybe the opposing solicitor is just throwing up legal tripe to confuse my neighbour, or maybe there is some point of law in it. Time will tell.

Sorry had posted response before i saw this

I think that your neighbour is being bullied by this guy - if your neighbours stock are being worried by his hounds then you neighbour is completly entitlied to shoot the offending hounds. My guess is your neighbour will continue to have these problems until he makes a stand and lets the hound owner know that if his hounds are on your neighbours land then they will be shot - the hound owners attitude will change when a few of them are taken down

• Advertisement

another problem with hunting guys is that i would be very intimidated confronting a man with a gun on my land

His intention is to shoot them the next time that they arrive. Legal crap can be time consuming and very expensive, these are his only worries. While he knows that he will be on the right side of the law if he shoots the dogs, this does not mean that he won't face a legal action for compensation. Its a tricky one. Yes he is being bullied, but he has to thread carefully!
    Sorry had posted response before i saw this

I think that your neighbour is being bullied by this guy - if your neighbours stock are being worried by his hounds then you neighbour is completly entitlied to shoot the offending hounds. My guess is your neighbour will continue to have these problems until he makes a stand and lets the hound owner know that if his hounds are on your neighbours land then they will be shot - the hound owners attitude will change when a few of them are taken down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

IF A GUN CLUB HAVE NOT ASKED CURRENT OWNERS PERMISSION ARE THEY INSURED?

If the club has been given permission in the past and this has not been rescinded, then yes.
    Oldtree wrote: »

The NARGC is a fund and not like typical insurance.

As pointed out in a similar thread on the hunting forum they would be covered even if they were unknowingly trespassing.

His intention is to shoot them the next time that they arrive. Legal crap can be time consuming and very expensive, these are his only worries. While he knows that he will be on the right side of the law if he shoots the dogs, this does not mean that he won't face a legal action for compensation. Its a tricky one. Yes he is being bullied, but he has to thread carefully!

Yeah this is it in a nutshell isn't it - get the legal profession involved and it takes an age and costs a fortune - whether you are right or wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

As a group, we have consulted with the gardai, but they say that there is little that they can do unless the dogs are actively chasing sheep. Because the owner tends to follow them by road, he is not trespassing. It's a hell of a mess!!

In this case the dogs are not "under effectual control" and are considered as strays
    argument as to whether you can shoot trespassing dogs on your land that haven't drawn blood from your sheep.

As Tippman posted: from the link below, 23 (1)a, "Or was about to worry"
    My reading of this would lead me to conclude that it is not a requirement that blood be drawn!
    The following is taken from the control of Dogs Act and would seem to indicate that ye have very strong grounds for shooting the dogs when they are on yer lands.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0023.html#sec23

23.—(1) It shall be a defence to any action for damages against a person for the shooting of a dog, or to any charge arising out of the shooting of a dog, if the defendant proves that—
    (a) the dog was shot when it was worrying, or was about to worry, livestock and that there were no other reasonable means of ending or preventing the worrying; or
    (b) (i) the dog was a stray dog which was in the vicinity of a place where livestock had been injured or killed, and
    (ii) the defendant reasonably believed that the dog had been involved in the injury or killing, and
    (iii) there were no practicable means of seizing the dog or ascertaining to whom it belonged; and
    (c) he was the person in charge of the livestock; and
    (d) he notified within forty-eight hours the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was shot of the incident.
    (2) The provisions of subsection (1) (a) and subsection (1) (b) (i) and (iii) of this section shall be deemed to have been satisfied if the defendant believed that those provisions had been satisfied and he had reasonable grounds for that belief

Thanks Tippman for this above.
    As regards the 'intention' to shoot a dog. My reading of the situation would be that I certainly would intend to shoot a stray dog on my land about to worry livestock. I couldn't see the owner in the above case having any reasonably defence!
    In the event that one does have to take such steps to protect their livestock, (1)d above would be important. So make the call!

Bizzum wrote: »
    In this case the dogs are not "under effectual control" and are considered as strays

As Tippman posted: from the link below, 23 (1)a, "Or was about to worry"
    My reading of this would lead me to conclude that it is not a requirement that blood be drawn!

Thanks Tippman for this above.
    As regards the 'intention' to shoot a dog. My reading of the situation would be that I certainly would intend to shoot a stray dog on my land about to worry livestock. I couldn't see the owner in the above case having any reasonably defence!
    In the event that one does have to take such steps to protect their livestock, (1)d above would be important. So make the call!

I agree totally. But as outlined, the threat of further legal action from the dog owner is cause for the landowner to thread carefully. While he may not be breaking the law by shooting the dogs, he has been threatened with a legal case seeking compensation. Even defending yourself from a legal case is expensive, never mind having to pay out any compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

To be honest with you, its one of the main reasons why we went from 100 ewes down to 20. A neighbour had 2 lambs killed and about 50 with bite marks from 2 of these dogs that he suspects got lost from the pack when they were out hunting recently. he was able to catch the dogs and he had the Gardai out. When they brought the dogs to the pack owner, he denied that they were his, but he did offer to take them.They weren't chipped and had no tags or collars. There was no way to prove anything. Neighbour declined. He has warned the pack owner that he will shoot on sight if any dogs come onto his land. Pack owner has threatened that he will take everything he owns off the neighbour in court if any dogs are harmed. He says that his dogs are perfectly in their right to hunt fox's on any land that they choose!!

I would doubt they have the right to hunt on any land they choose reilig. I dont think there is such a thing as a beagle under control either. From my experience they just stay running and barking and I dont think they come when they are called back. IMO they are a far bigger problem then the gunmen as they do worry stock and the handlers have no control over them. I dont know how the man would even claim to be under control of them when he's driving along the road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

He says that his dogs are perfectly in their right to hunt fox's on any land that they choose!!

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I dont know about this but I have a Basset hound who as you know is the Beagles slower cousin, Im from a farm and he loves nothing more than chasing cows and cattle and God nor man would get him back until he feels like it, I dont mind so much with cattle etc because they are well able for him and its just him but a flock of sheep might not do so well or a pack of Bassets or Beagles might not be os ineffective. I think the point Im trying to make is no way would I let anyone bring Beagles into a farm hunting because I see what one dog with no backup is like

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

If I see anyone hunting on my land I let the two big dogs out to 'hunt' them off, great fun to watch them scramble over the high barbed wire fence..

• Advertisement
Advertisement