Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you let hunting people on your land?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

hollysf wrote: »
    If I see anyone hunting on my land I let the two big dogs out to 'hunt' them off, great fun to watch them scramble over the high barbed wire fence..
    How much to rent the 3 of you for the day next sunday:D.

And i know the season starts on tuesday but this s**t starts on the nearest sunday:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

reilig wrote: »
    I agree totally. But as outlined, the threat of further legal action from the dog owner is cause for the landowner to thread carefully. While he may not be breaking the law by shooting the dogs, he has been threatened with a legal case seeking compensation. Even defending yourself from a legal case is expensive, never mind having to pay out any compensation.

He would need to find the dead dog and prove who shot it first :)
    I heard of one farmer who when a bit over the top with a pet dog going through
    he land after he shot it he hung it by the neck from a fence stake on top of the ditch with barb wire as a warning to others :rolleyes:
    The kids that owned the dog were not happy when they found him and their dad was not impressed either
    An other farmer told me he would shoot stray dogs and then dispose of their carcass and not cause a fuss telling anyone about it.
    Im not saying anyone should shoot dogs on their land just sharing 2 storys I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

As a hunter, dog lover and PT farmer myself I fully support the right of farmers to shoot dogs that do not have permission to be on their land or are otherwise straying. I've done it myself a number of times. If its a neighbours dog or I know the owner and its the first time I've seen its hanging around sheep(as opposed to chasing/harming them) I will ask the owner to pick the dog up or I'll return it myself. At that point I will warn said person that if I see the dog on my land again I will shoot it on sight as is my right under the law. Dogs that I cannot ID are shot on sight as they are nearly always dumped animals that in my experiece are usually in very poor condition and frankly a bullet to the head is the kindest thing to do as they would otherwise linger in a dog pound for a week and then be killed anyways

All the problems discussed here come down to gobsh*te owners that put their dogs in harms way. This countries record in such areas is frankly appalling when one sees the numbers of dogs that have to be put down every year in Ireland compared to our near neighbours. People who can't be arsed to look after their dogs should be banned from keeping them and a national scheme of chipping and neutering needs to be brought in to cut down the number of stray's. This would solve the problem in a very short time but since this country has always been run by gombeen men I'm not holding my breath that these commonsense steps will be taken!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A lot to be said for compulsory microchipping and registration of all dogs.
    Give the responsibility over to our boys in the Dept of Ag., give 'em something to do and we'd end up with traceability, so an irresponsible owner could be traced!

As regards hunting in general - one chap with the landowner's persmission out lamping foxes is a world of difference from mounted hunters with a pack of beagles chasing a fox scent cross country. The former does a great clean job on vermin, while the latter should never be let near a farm with sheep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Birdnuts wrote: »
    As regards hunting in general - one chap with the landowner's persmission out lamping foxes is a world of difference from mounted hunters with a pack of beagles chasing a fox scent cross country. The former does a great clean job on vermin, while the latter should never be let near a farm with sheep!!

Or cattle!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

i a hunter myself and in the local gun club. i personnaly do not enter land without permission from the land owners and ask the land owners every year can i shoot on it. there is no bother because the farmers know that we treat there land the same as my own, i will say that there is a few people in the club that show no respect and i wouldn let them on my own land. i agree totally with you whelann 1 it is only common curiosty to ask the land owner and respect there decision, but dont tar all hunters with the 1 brush, there is lads that are clean and respectful and others that are pure c**ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Vegeta wrote: »
    As pointed out in a similar thread on the hunting forum they would be covered even if they were unknowingly trespassing.

thats good that they are covered, but unless they have permission they are trespassing (unknowingly or otherwise). They have no rite to wander private lands nor do the dogs. Take a photo with the phone of the dog before shooting it proving the worring issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

but the atitude that they are covered and can go where they want is what is really annoying me, they seem to think that they do not have to ask the landowners permission at all...

• Advertisement

just had local gun club rep down to me... had a long chat... end of it is that they can shoot the land but no dogs near the yard.... also must put up signs on all entrances to say gun club only no trespassers, i said i thought their whole atitude was crap , they gave me a list of all the gun club members:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

whelan1 wrote: »
    just had local gun club rep down to me... had a long chat... end of it is that they can shoot the land but no dogs near the yard.... also must put up signs on all entrances to say gun club only no trespassers, i said i thought their whole atitude was crap , they gave me a list of all the gun club members:cool:

fair play whelan. im in a gun club myself and i would say they are gratefull you didnt put them off it for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You don't have to let them if you don't want them there.

see Respecting private landowners' property here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/recreational_activities_in_ireland/sport_and_leisure/walking_and_rambling_in_ireland.html

Known as the Anti-Trespass Law, since 2002, it has been a criminal offence for anyone from any body to trespass onto private or private lands. The landowner does not need to have any signs up stating this. here:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0009/sec0024.html#partiii-sec24

Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 2002

19C.—(1) A person, without the duly given consent of the owner, shall not—

(a) enter and occupy any land, or
    (b) bring onto or place on any land any object,

where such entry or occupation or the bringing onto or placing on the land of such object is likely to—

(i) substantially damage the land,
    (ii) substantially and prejudicially affect any amenity in respect of the land,
    (iii) prevent persons entitled to use the land or any amenity in respect of the land from making reasonable use of the land or amenity,
    (iv) otherwise render the land or any amenity in respect of the land, or the lawful use of the land or any amenity in respect of the land, unsanitary or unsafe,
    (v) substantially interfere with the land, any amenity in respect of the land, the lawful use of the land or any amenity in respect of the land.

Our constitution states that we have the right to private property without intrusion.

You can tell that gun club rep and his mates to go away and not come back, if they do you will photo them and phone the garda! Don't be bullied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Oldtree wrote: »
    thats good that they are covered, but unless they have permission they are trespassing (unknowingly or otherwise). They have no rite to wander private lands nor do the dogs. Take a photo with the phone of the dog before shooting it proving the worring issue.

Oh don't misunderstand me, anyone who goes onto someone else's land without permission is a complete tool and I'd never defend them or stand up for them. They deserve everything that comes their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

another problem with hunting guys is that i would be very intimidated confronting a man with a gun on my land
    the fact that they had a gun would only stand to you, threatening behaviour with a deadly weapon sounds like 3 to 5 yrs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i would have no problem with locals shooting who called up to the house and asked permission, had a bit of respect for the place and stayed away from areas with stock. Which to be fair any decent gun clubs would do anyway, but we have had run ins with muppets who arrive in 5 or 6 vans and trailers block up the roads and go shooting in fields with stock in them. Its happened twice and i quite politely told them to get the f##k off my land and pi## off home ....... they did, really gets on my nerves the arrogance of some poeple, they give decent huntng poeple a bad name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Oldtree wrote: »
    Take a photo with the phone of the dog before shooting it proving the worring issue.

A photo of the dog on your land does not prove it is worrying livestock. You have to show that you exhausted all means of catching the dog or preventing it from worrying the livestock before you go shoot it. A person in carlow has lost his gun license and costs against him for shooting a dog on his land.
    The attitude of shoot first is no better that that of lads who go onto land and say well if i get caught i get caught.There was a case in east galway a few years back where a bird was shot and landed on adjoining farmland. said farmer threatened to shoot the dog that went to retreive the bird. That went to court also and the farmer beared the brunt of that case.
    Approach in a calm manner and speak in a controlled manner, keep your mobile handy and record the conversation if necessary.
    Also regarding approaching lads who have guns, there is no record as far as i can see of any farmer being shot after approaching someone hunting with a legally held firemarm. For the record I have permission from all the local farmers even though I am in the local gun club and come from a farming background.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

homerhop wrote: »
    A photo of the dog on your land does not prove it is worrying livestock. You have to show that you exhausted all means of catching the dog or preventing it from worrying the livestock before you go shoot it. A person in carlow has lost his gun license and costs against him for shooting a dog on his land.
    The attitude of shoot first is no better that that of lads who go onto land and say well if i get caught i get caught.There was a case in east galway a few years back where a bird was shot and landed on adjoining farmland. said farmer threatened to shoot the dog that went to retreive the bird. That went to court also and the farmer beared the brunt of that case.
    Approach in a calm manner and speak in a controlled manner, keep your mobile handy and record the conversation if necessary.
    Also regarding approaching lads who have guns, there is no record as far as i can see of any farmer being shot after approaching someone hunting with a legally held firemarm. For the record I have permission from all the local farmers even though I am in the local gun club and come from a farming background.

How do you "show that you exhausted all means of catching the dog or preventing it from worrying the livestock" ?

And lets say you catch the dog, what do you do then? Also - what do you say to the hunter than no doubt will be along soon, and will ask you what you are doing with the dog... ?

What if the dog bites you when you were catching it?

For a guy coming into your land, possibly without permission - those comments above all sound a bit biased towards the hunter, when he was the one trespassing? :confused:

As you are in a gun club, can you tell me - what happens to to members - if the gun club gets a report that members are in lands they do not have permission for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

How do you "show that you exhausted all means of catching the dog or preventing it from worrying the livestock" ?

If your not happy with the dog being there and there is no owner around to take the dog away, I would have no regrets having the dog shot... why wait for it to scare/hurt an animal...

Am only saying what is written in the guidelines. The courts and guardi are not as pro country lifestyle and attitude as they used to be. Hence the examples of the court cases that I have given.
    And lets say you catch the dog, what do you do then? Also - what do you say to the hunter than no doubt will be along soon, and will ask you what you are doing with the dog... ?
    Come on you dont need to have your hand held, you tell him the truth, you caught his dog what you feel to be going to worry your livestock.
    What if the dog bites you when you were catching it?
    you get a tetanus shot and bill the owner.
    For a guy coming into your land, possibly without permission - those comments above all sound a bit biased towards the hunter, when he was the one trespassing? :confused:

I am not going to make excuses for people who tresspass, as already stated I have permission for where I go, but the attitude of the courts appears to be changing and not always ruling in favour of the land owner that is all I am saying.
    As you are in a gun club, can you tell me - what happens to to members - if the gun club gets a report that members are in lands they do not have permission for?
    As gun club is only responsible for its members on lands that the club are allowed to shoot upon. Some clubs may have rules written into their constitution about members actions bringing a club into disrepute, but with all things legal actions can be taken against the club for doing so as it was not on club lands. No different than you being a member of a gaa club and getting into a brawl outside a bar, what can the gaa club do about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Am only saying what is written in the guidelines. The courts and guardi are not as pro country lifestyle and attitude as they used to be. Hence the examples of the court cases that I have given.

Come on you dont need to have your hand held, you tell him the truth, you caught his dog what you feel to be going to worry your livestock.

I am not going to make excuses for people who tresspass, as already stated I have permission for where I go, but the attitude of the courts appears to be changing and not always ruling in favour of the land owner that is all I am saying.

As gun club is only responsible for its members on lands that the club are allowed to shoot upon. Some clubs may have rules written into their constitution about members actions bringing a club into disrepute, but with all things legal actions can be taken against the club for doing so as it was not on club lands. No different than you being a member of a gaa club and getting into a brawl outside a bar, what can the gaa club do about that?

Hi Homer,

Thanks for response.

It would appear based on your comments above, we are all better off not to let gun clubs onto our land. Maybe individuals, who you know yes, but gun clubs, who could have any amount of members - then no.
    IMO - but each to his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Gun clubs are given a lot more liberty on farms than probably they should be, mainly because we expect membership of a gun club to be a guarantee of good behaviour, you last paragraph puts a big question mark over that presumption.....
    Your reference to the law brings up another issue, the laws regarding adverse possession have had major changes in the last couple of years, in that you can claim squatters title after 12 years instead of I think 25 or 30, some farmers are concerned if gun clubs have shooting rights without payment for more than 12 years, can they claim them, noone should threaten courts, courts are all law and no justice,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

rancher wrote: »

Your reference to the law brings up another issue, the laws regarding adverse possession have had major changes in the last couple of years, in that you can claim squatters title after 12 years instead of I think 25 or 30, some farmers are concerned if gun clubs have shooting rights without payment for more than 12 years, can they claim them, noone should threaten courts, courts are all law and no justice,

if you are worried about this then allow the Gun Club in every year for 364 days, pick from 1st June to 30 May, this may be seen as a break in contract & club should have no problem, as always, a good solicitor should be able to help

we expect membership of a gun club to be a guarantee of good behaviour, you last paragraph puts a big question mark over that presumption
    How so? Like I have stated you cannot control how people go on in every circumstance, I know some farmers who quite frankly are some of the most obnoxious people you could ever meet, do I as an individual take a stance that I should treat all land owners with the same opinion?
    A gun club can take action against any member that steps out of line or whom a farmer makes a complaint against once they were on land that the club has permission to be on. Once again I will try explain...if you are a member of your local macra na feirme and have a tiff with a neighbour or get in bother in some form or another, can your local macra na feirme throw you out of that organisation because of this?

Gun clubs have to have a general insurance that covers the club in the event of any claim made against it, its members have to have cover that covers, the farmer, his livestock and property for damage caused by that member or his dog. They also have a personal accident insurance against any injury they receive while engaged in their passtime. So basically a gun club member cannot claim off the land owner in the event of anything happening.
    An individual who shoots may not have any of these leaving the farmer open to a claim.
    A club cannot claim shooting rights no matter how long the farmer has been giving them permission to shoot upon his lands, it is a year to year basis. Every year we ask and give a list of those who are insured with out club to each land owner.

Hello Username John.
    As a land owner you are entitled to say who does or does not shoot on your land, even if they are in the gun club. We are a local club with local lads all known by the land owners. We give a list each year of our members to each farmer along with a copy of our insurance and what we are covered for.
    Some say well we dont want that individual on their lands and we pass on that request to that person.
    We have had comments made by the local land owners that as long as they give the club permission they are happy that they know who is on their property, plus the fact that they call us when they see individuals who dont have permission to be there and it is our members who have to approach them not the farmers.

How so? Like I have stated you cannot control how people go on in every circumstance, I know some farmers who quite frankly are some of the most obnoxious people you could ever meet, do I as an individual take a stance that I should treat all land owners with the same opinion?
    A gun club can take action against any member that steps out of line or whom a farmer makes a complaint against once they were on land that the club has permission to be on. Once again I will try explain...if you are a member of your local macra na feirme and have a tiff with a neighbour or get in bother in some form or another, can your local macra na feirme throw you out of that organisation because of this?

Gun clubs have to have a general insurance that covers the club in the event of any claim made against it, its members have to have cover that covers, the farmer, his livestock and property for damage caused by that member or his dog. They also have a personal accident insurance against any injury they receive while engaged in their passtime. So basically a gun club member cannot claim off the land owner in the event of anything happening.
    An individual who shoots may not have any of these leaving the farmer open to a claim.
    A club cannot claim shooting rights no matter how long the farmer has been giving them permission to shoot upon his lands, it is a year to year basis. Every year we ask and give a list of those who are insured with out club to each land owner.

Hello Username John.
    As a land owner you are entitled to say who does or does not shoot on your land, even if they are in the gun club. We are a local club with local lads all known by the land owners. We give a list each year of our members to each farmer along with a copy of our insurance and what we are covered for.
    Some say well we dont want that individual on their lands and we pass on that request to that person.
    We have had comments made by the local land owners that as long as they give the club permission they are happy that they know who is on their property, plus the fact that they call us when they see individuals who dont have permission to be there and it is our members who have to approach them not the farmers.
    You don't have to deal with those abnoxious farmers, but a gun club comes to us looking for access with a list of fifty names, most of them we might not know, and you say you're not guaranteeing their behaviour .....
    get real...we're not that soft, we do expect gun clubs to be an guarantee of behaviour, otherwise we would not give permission,
    I have facilitated gun clubs for 30 years with access and pheasant pens, NARGC should now sit down with IFA and bring out a Code of Practice,as we do with ESB. BordGais. NRA, then farmers and shooters will know what's expected of them,and ther will be no misunderstandings as there is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

NARGC should now sit down with IFA and bring out a Code of Practice,as we do with ESB. BordGais. NRA, then farmers and shooters will know what's expected of them,and there will be no misunderstandings as there is here.

This sounds like a sensible idea. I would add, that in general Codes of Practice are useful, but they need to be backed up by relevant legislation.
    There is nothing worse than trying to "enforce" a Code of Practice without the backing of legislation.
    So:
    Clear Codes of Practice with all parties buying into them.
    Workable legislation to back it up.

thats a really good point , as it is they seem to think once they have insurance they can do what they want

thats a really good point , as it is they seem to think once they have insurance they can do what they want
    99.99% of shooters are good guys and you don't need legislation when everyone knows that disobeying the code means withdrawal of permission, all I'm saying is that when it's written down and signed off, no one can say ''But I thought......''

it seems to be a very vague area, seing as firearms are involved there should really be a code of practice put in place... a few years ago i got a call from a neighbour that there was some one firing shots at their house from my land, am i responsible for the actions of a total asshole on my land?

You don't have to deal with those abnoxious farmers, but a gun club comes to us looking for access with a list of fifty names, most of them we might not know, and you say you're not guaranteeing their behaviour .....
    get real...we're not that soft, we do expect gun clubs to be an guarantee of behaviour, otherwise we would not give permission,
    I have facilitated gun clubs for 30 years with access and pheasant pens, NARGC should now sit down with IFA and bring out a Code of Practice,as we do with ESB. BordGais. NRA, then farmers and shooters will know what's expected of them,and ther will be no misunderstandings as there is here.

You dont know who I do or dont have to deal with on a regular basis so please dont tell me that.
    I am quiet real and dont need you to tell me to be.
    Either you are not reading my posts or chosing to ignore them.I have said a gun club can control what its members do on lands that the club has been given permission to shoot.
    A gun club no more than any other club cannot control what any individual does outside of their scope, we cannot take action against someone if they get into their car and drive to the next county and shoot where they do not have permission to be. How can we be expected to? No more than if you lease land and leave it in a mess the ifa cannot prevent you for leasing in the future.
    I have said a farmer can look at that list and say who he does or does not want shooting his land.
    Our insurance is through the IFA and our governing body has given us a code of practise
    http://www.krgwc.ie/hunting.html

99.99% of shooters are good guys and you don't need legislation when everyone knows that disobeying the code means withdrawal of permission, all I'm saying is that when it's written down and signed off, no one can say ''But I thought......''

What happens if it is an individual who is not in the club but is driving by and decides that looks good I will go for a shot in there? Is the club responsible then for this individuals actions?.

You dont know who I do or dont have to deal with on a regular basis so please dont tell me that.
    Our insurance is through the IFA and our governing body has given us a code of practise
    http://www.krgwc.ie/hunting.html
    That's a different situation, any problems between countryside members and IFA members is usually sorted ''in house''

• Advertisement

That's a different situation, any problems between countryside members and IFA members is usually sorted ''in house''
    Yes and its the way things should be
    We have the level of insurance cover not to let us go around thinking we can do what we like, we have it to take any responsibility away from the farmer in the event of something happening. Any farmer I have ever been talking to this was a major concern....can he be sued. With the level of cover we have, no he cant.

If you have problems with lads who are in the gun club shooting on your property, your gun club should have given each farmer contact numbers for its chairman, secretary etc. Contact them. The majority of club delegated will do their best to resolve the situation.
    As you have said 99% of lads shooting are sound, sadly that 1% is destroying it for those of us who work hard with the local farming community by respecting the land and its owners who allow us to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

the only peole i let shoot on my land are my cousins simply cause there family and if they break anything theyll fix it. there was some stranger one year that took the main gate off the wall dont ask me how and he just left it up agnst the pillar and went off it was in the afternoon and i was there in the morning and i wasnt around until the next day due to work. until i got a call from the gardí saying that my cattle were out on the main road thats why dont let people you dont know go through your land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I let nobody shoot on our land; number one because I simply don't want them to and number two because I'm vegan.

I had two guys last year who told me that they had permission from their gun club and I told them that the only law on our land was me. I escorted them to the gate and told them to spread the word that our land was always and still is off limits. I am glad they used their reason as it would have gotten very messy (for them).

Its supremely ignorant to walk another man's land with a weapon, stalking God's creatures, unless you fully intend defending yourself with it. I wouldn't kill a fly, but I would a deal a heavy price to a person if they pushed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

An Ri rua wrote: »

Its supremely ignorant to walk another man's land with a weapon, stalking God's creatures, unless you fully intend defending yourself with it. I wouldn't kill a fly, but I would a deal a heavy price to a person if they pushed it.

Aren't we all Gods creations/creatures if you want to be correct ? And doesn't the bible say not to harm thy brother?

So by you saying you wouldn't kill a fly mean that your comment about "dealing a heavy price" for stalking "gods" creatures i.e his creations not conterdict your reasoning:D

In essence if a hunter walked onto your land after "Gods" creation and you seen him. Wouldn't that mean that you are stalking him !!!!! As you would want to deal a heavy price. So pretty much you are stalking one of gods creatures/creations to harm it. I don't think God would take too kindle to having double standards.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Aren't we all Gods creations/creatures if you want to be correct ? And doesn't the bible say not to harm thy brother?

So by you saying you wouldn't kill a fly mean that your comment about "dealing a heavy price" for stalking "gods" creatures i.e his creations not conterdict your reasoning:D

In essence if a hunter walked onto your land after "Gods" creation and you seen him. Wouldn't that mean that you are stalking him !!!!! As you would want to deal a heavy price. So pretty much you are stalking one of gods creatures/creations to harm it. I don't think God would take too kindle to having double standards.:D

Am I supposed to be enraptured by your logical perception? Talk about pointing out the obvious. Simple statement though: - I protect all living things on my land. If you think that your argument flies, your teenage or simply daft. Or you might like to step onto my land and test your logic versus my way.... ;)

And why are you quoting the Bible? When your life is in danger (I hope never), try quoting from it and see if your coda has any effect on a man who doesn't live by it. I may have said God's creatures, that doesn't mean I'm a Christian who believes that hokum. I already said I'm a vegan, therefore Christianity wouldn't exactly sit well with me, would it? I expected someone like you to childishly latch on to what you see is flawed logic. And sure enough, you came along. Like a light on a sunny day in the wilderness.....

Yes, I would eliminate the threat of anything that I have already cautioned. Until I'm old enough that I can't. Always did. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD] This thread combines two subjects (access to land, and hunting) that individually get many people all het up at the best of times; the two combined has the potential to multiply the angst.

Certainly debate, discuss, and argue the subject, but do so in a civil and responsible way.
    Any further personal digs or threats will be met with infractions or bans, and possibly the closing of the thread. [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

When we sowed the kale, a local man used to come shooting pigeons. He was doing us a favour by keeping pigeons away from the newly sown crop and we were doing him a favour by letting him shoot on our land. a symbiotic relationship if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭Feisar

another problem with hunting guys is that i would be very intimidated confronting a man with a gun on my land

Well said.

I'm a shooter and if I meet someone I always break my gun and remove the cartridges. But most people won't know a "bent" shotgun is safe. What more can I do though?

First they came for the socialists...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

I honestly wouldn't mind someone hunting on my land, Its them c***s of harriers that rub me up the wrong way.

• Advertisement

polod wrote: »
    , Its them c***s of harriers that rub me up the wrong way.

Theres alot fewer mounted/pack hunts like those today, compared to a few decades ago(at least in these parts) - What part of the country are you in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Was gone off dosing cows with one of the friends there today and when I was coming back home our cows were out the road. The auld lad said there was someone in hunting where they were but didnt see who it was. F**king c**ts could at least have the decency to call over to the house and say the cows were out the road or to try and put them back in.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

we had a cow in ur estate the other day from the fields accross where i shoot. I was out yesterday and driving past on the main road there was 2 out on the bleedin road. I got out and put them back in and found where they got out, a hole in the bushes and the barbwire fence cut. same spot i seen a couple of lads from a certain travelling group going through a few weeks ago, these lads run lurchers in there without permission. Spoke to the farmer today to let him know about the fence, he said he's caught them a few times the last while and ran them and now said he wants the dogs shot next time they come in.

I shoot a few farms around that im the only one who is let for the simple fact that i asked first. one lad said no so i left him my number and got a call a few weeks later when he had a problem, been shooting there since. Always best to ask imo and iv got some great shooting ground out of it

Same as Kildare. was coming home a few weeks ago and seen a calf down with grey crows starting to pick at it. Heard had moved to the far end of the field, Went across and the calf was still alive but couldnt get up off his hind legs. Went straight up to the farm and notified the farmer, gave him a reference point as it was almost dark so he wouldnt be going around the whole field with a light looking for it. Met him the other day, calf is doing well and thanked me for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

From my own experience access to land for shooting is gained in a very simple way...you get to know a farmer in an area and build up a bit of a relationship and before much longer you end up getting the "nod" from most of the neighbouring farmers as well. Equally if there happen to be people in the area who prefer their land not to be shot over you'll find out in a nice way as well.

Quite often farmers have a very straightforward approach to shooting; first of all they like to be asked and second they like to see their land ( aka their livelyhood ) and animals treated with a bit of respect. I find that if you have the decency to do both those things not too many places will be off limits unless the farming activity on the land doesn't go together with shooting at all ( the likes of horses, ewe's in lamb etc etc )

There's always going to be awkward characters in the shooting community like there's going to be awkward characters in the farming community and if the two meet there's going to be a bit of a problem.

Advertisement