Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing on Lough Corrib, where to launch a Bassboat?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I've just moved back and bought my bassboat with me. Im looking to launch on Lough Corrib fishing for pike over the next couple of months. I need some good safe access somewhere between Oughterard and Maam. The boat is kind of wide compared to the regular boats on the lake, so's my truck. Does anybody have any ideas on good wide slips?
    Pat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

maam bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pat connors

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    maam bridge

Thanks for the quick reply. The Boat is a big Nitro with heavy 300 on the back and I need about 10ft width and plenty of water ideally. I've got 9ft on the trailer. Is Maam Bridge a wide slip. I dont want to trailer it all the way up there and find its too narrow! ?
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Oughterard Pier is nice and wide and this time of year there won't be many cars there so you should have room to swing the trailer around. The slip on the right has a more gentle gradient.

Thats great - thanks !.
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

• Advertisement

Tried that site but couldn't get past the begging letters. I copied the map from a buddy as I couldnt get a free one from the site. Simple. Thanks for the information anyway John, but there doesnt seem to be anything on the map about slipways anyway. Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CorribCharts

Hi Pat, did you actually try clicking on the link above?

The link above contains in-depth information about the 'main' piers & slipways on Lough Corrib including location (Google Maps), pictures, info on slipway... even so much as the width of the slip-way.

There are many more small piers and slip-ways on the Corrib which were not included, as the roads leading to them are very narrow and if 2 trailers met on-coming, chaos would ensue!

Quote >Hi Pat, did you actually try clicking on the link above?

No, i'd given up with that site

I tried to get a "free" chart from you 3 weeks, maybe a month ago, and just ended up stuck in a paypal loop. Two other tries blanked also. If they aren't free then you should not say they are. Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

would ross lake be good for pike fishing in moycullen??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

would ross lake be good for pike fishing in moycullen??

Can be very good, not as good as it used to be because of overfishing by locals and foreign anglers, but still a good enough stock of pike there. Ballyquirke can also be very good, I met a French angler there last year who had caught several pike over 1m long (he showed me the photos on his camera so it wasn't all talk).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Quote >Hi Pat, did you actually try clicking on the link above?

No, i'd given up with that site
    I tried to get a "free" chart from you 3 weeks, maybe a month ago, and just ended up stuck in a paypal loop. Two other tries blanked also. If they aren't free then you should not say they are. Pat

Maybe you should go back and click the link. It's the most in-depth information on slipways on corrib!
    And if you're going to invest on a bassboat nitro with 300hp engine, it's strange that you won't throw corribcharts a few quid! I got the charts for free but gave a donation afterwards they were that good. Money well spent!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Maybe you should go back and click the link. It's the most in-depth information on slipways on corrib!
    And if you're going to invest on a bassboat nitro with 300hp engine, it's strange that you won't throw corribcharts a few quid! I got the charts for free but gave a donation afterwards they were that good. Money well spent!

No problem with spending a few bucks, not that its anybody elses business!, its people saying one thing, and doing another that bugs me. It just looks cheap. I'll have a blast around the lake and have a look the maps this weekend, then let the guy who made it have a worthwhile contribution. Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CorribCharts

Paparazzo wrote: »

Hi Papparazzo,
    Thanks for your contribution. I normally wouldn't reply on a public forum, but felt compelled, incase people thought your reply was made from an 'internal source'... as often happens on forums (although easily disclosed by admins from IP trace-routes)

I hope that the link above proved useful to Pat Connors - It is a publicly available website that seems to be useful (going by Google Analytics) to many people! Although one individual seems to have a gripe (who posted in this thread), I would be confident in saying that he will still knock great benefit from the above link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i thought that the corrib charts site was interesting, but there is no substitute for leg work, getting out there and getting to know a water via experience on the ground so to speak, sure thats half the fun of fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

I'll have a blast around the lake and have a look the maps this weekend

if i did not know that lough, i would not be blasting around on it with a 300hp engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

No problem with spending a few bucks, not that its anybody elses business!, its people saying one thing, and doing another that bugs me. It just looks cheap. I'll have a blast around the lake and have a look the maps this weekend, then let the guy who made it have a worthwhile contribution. Pat

Before you blast around the lake any chance you could put up a few pictures of the boat? dont see to many boats like that in Ireland, and mightn't again after your blast around the lake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

stylie wrote: »
    Before you blast around the lake any chance you could put up a few pictures of the boat? dont see to many boats like that in Ireland, and mightn't again after your blast around the lake ;)

Exactly my point. I know people that fished the lake all their life and didnt know some of the rocks just below the surface miles from the shore.
    Charts are well worth getting, especially if you have a fast boat and you'll be leaving the navagational channels. And Maam Bridge was mentioned, definitely worth checking out the charts site for the shallows around there.
    And as CorribCharts said, I don't work for them!

But seriously OP, not clicking on a link of piers and slipways of Corrib when you want info on slipways isn't the greatest idea! Especially when you want a wide slipway, the corribcharts site tells you the width of the slipways listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

anyone see mainstream on the shannon (matt hayse ), there was a boat on lough ree that came from across the pond, is it something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

if you want to catch huge fish, i would launch at annaghdown and head south back towards corrib river, pm if ya need more specific areas.

Advertisement