Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking advice (Long distance)

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can offer advice...my boyfriend (of 9 years) and I have found ourselves in a tricky situation. He is currently in Clare doing a training course. He won't know until this time next year if he will be based in Clare/Dublin/Cork. I, on the other hand, have a permanent job on the Dublin/Wicklow border. It isn't possible for me to get a permanent job anywhere else at present. At the moment, we see each other almost every weekend (one of us travels to the other). I am living at home - saving for the mortgage. This is great for now. However, we feel it will be difficult to sustain for another year. We have discussed renting in Portlaoise maybe (half-way between both places) but I'm not so sure about a commute each day. I'm spoiled at the moment in that it takes me 15 traffic-free minutes to get to work.

We do hope to be looking into buying a house in 2012/13.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in this situation before/anoyone can suggest alternative ideas.

I hope I haven't waffled on too much and have made some sort of sense along the way.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Personally I'd suck it up and stay put for a year, I know you want to live together but think about your midweek situation, how long would it taketo get home from work and how early would you leave? It sounds a tiring and money draining commute plus you wouldn't have all that much time together in the evening.

The more money you can save now the better, it'll give you a much better start when buying a house and getting a mortgage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You should avoid a situation of both commuting daily. It is expensive and tiring. It is better to have one local and one travelling, even if it is weekend meeting only.

Advertisement