Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Eircom NGB internet (Zyxel)?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Last couple of days my internet is behaving strangely.

It works couple of hours with decent speeds (Eircom speedtest gives 7mb at 8mb NGB package, ping 35ms).

And suddenly the speed will go down, Eircom speedtests shows pings like 7-800 ms and under 1 mb download.

When i reset the modem, speed will return to normal, just to drop again after couple of hours.

I have connected my laptop directly to the modem with a cable, disconnected all other devices, cables connected directly to the mainsocket (with filter provided by Eircom), Sky box removed etc. Not downloading/streaming anything at the sametime etc..

Is it the modem what is causing this? Anything i can do, firmware upgrade maybe? Checked fr Zyxel pages, but the firmware there were older that was now installed.

*edit, found the firmware update from Eircom pages, giving it a go now*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

speed results after update (tested in IE, and Mozilla)
    Not impressed at all..

Speed results

Details of the speed test will appear here when it completes.
    Please allow up to 1 minute for the test to complete.
    Results are only an indication of your connection speed which may be affected by other devices or wireless coverage.

Test date23 October 2011 13:58:19Download Speed0.69 Mb/sThis is equal to86 KB/s688 kbpsUpload Speed0.07 Mb/sThis is equal to8.88 KB/s71 kbpsLatency551 ms

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 8160 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 20 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17 dB /24 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.40.191.194
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.7
    First DNS: 213.94.190.235(dns1.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.195(dns2.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS: 0.0.0.0

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pat321

hey guys. i have an zyxel p-660hw-t1 modem from eircom and it working well at the moment. except on some occasions, when I get disconnected from the internet and limited access comes up on the reception icon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

pat321 wrote: »
    hey guys. i have an zyxel p-660hw-t1 modem from eircom and it working well at the moment. except on some occasions, when I get disconnected from the internet and limited access comes up on the reception icon.

I get the same Pat.. Its a joke of a router.. think im just gonna have to buy a new proper router

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

finnteme wrote: »
    speed results after update (tested in IE, and Mozilla)
    Not impressed at all..

Speed results

Details of the speed test will appear here when it completes.
    Please allow up to 1 minute for the test to complete.
    Results are only an indication of your connection speed which may be affected by other devices or wireless coverage.

Test date23 October 2011 13:58:19Download Speed0.69 Mb/sThis is equal to86 KB/s688 kbpsUpload Speed0.07 Mb/sThis is equal to8.88 KB/s71 kbpsLatency551 ms

eircom broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 8160 kbps /512 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 20 dB /10 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17 dB /24 dB
    WAN IP Address: 86.40.191.194
    Default Gateway: 159.134.155.7
    First DNS: 213.94.190.235(dns1.cra.dublin.eircom.net)
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.195(dns2.cwm.dublin.eircom.net)
    Tertiary DNS: 0.0.0.0

When you ran the speedtest was the laptop connected wirelessly or with an ethernet cable. The modem stats are saying your modem is syncing at 8mb, but your getting less than 1mb download.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

When you ran the speedtest was the laptop connected wirelessly or with an ethernet cable. The modem stats are saying your modem is syncing at 8mb, but your getting less than 1mb download.

Hi, as i wrote in my 1st post, i am connected with the cable.
    :)

Last 12 hrs the connection has been quite ok again.
    Lets hope it stays that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement