Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerbils

• 23-10-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I have a question about caring for Gerbils and if I would be a suitable owner or not.
    I saw two little sister gerbils a few days ago and thought they were so cute and interesting! So I asked the woman what gerbils are like as pets and she said they are great but definitely happier in twos or threes. If I were to get a gerbil as a pet I would definitely want to get them in a pair so they are not lonely when I'm not there.

I know I would care for them well as far as safety, food and health goes, but am concerned about the amount of time I am away from home. I have a three year old budgie who I adore but due to my work shift increasing to 10 hours per day, I made the decision to let him live with my sister. I know he is happy there as he has company all day long, whereas with me, by the time I came home he was almost ready to sleep. I just didn't think it was fair so after my hours were lengthened I had to part with him. (luckily I still see him regularly)

As a result I feel a bit irresponsible, like I abandoned him even though I know he is very happy where he is. He has learned new words, become very cheeky and even recognises me still :D

But .. naturally this makes me apprehensive about getting any other animal. I was recently asked to take in a kitten but I just couldn't take the responsibility because I am not at home long enough to look after it properly. This is why I worry about having gerbils. I have researched them online and read some books about caring for them and it seems that I was wrong in thinking that they sleep mostly during daylight. (This is why I thought they would be ok with me, as I would be there for them when they are awake in the evening)
    So can anyone help me with this decision? Would it be unfair to get them if I'm not there during the day?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think gerbils would be fine as you said as long as they have the company of at least one other. Obviously ensure you get them from a responsible breeder rather than a pet shop so you get a same sex bonded pair. Although some males are neutered and live with a female.

As long as you have the time to clean them out, feed them daily, and handle them even for a short period daily so they keep being used to being handled.

They won't mind you gone for long hours if they have another of their own for company, as long as they're well fed and clean and looked after and have a large house they are pretty happy and are awake during the day but also come awake at night as well.

A large glass tank would make more sense than standard gerbil cages 3 foot tank on average but you might need to make a timber lid with 1/4 wire frame for the top. If you check out the Ikea hackers website you'll see really cool housing adapted for gerbils..probably cheaper too.
    Since you will be out for so long I'd highly recommend Carefresh bedding it's more absorbant and some gerbils react to woodchips (sore noses especially) a little sand pit out of non toxic sand is fun as well.
    Plenty of cardboard to chew up as well.

As long as you have the time to do the practical stuff they are a much better option than a kitten which really would need a lot more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Thank you Sigma Force, I had never heard of IKEA hackers before, just had a look there and it's great. Though not sure how good I'd be at making a house for them though :o I deffo want a glass tank if I get some because I read that gerbils can destruct the normal pet shop ones quite easily.

I also read about the bedding and am wondering if Carefresh and non toxic sand is available to buy in pet shops or online? I am very clueless about this kind of stuff. I just know what NOT to use haha :p

I'll wait another few weeks before deciding and in that time I will look at making a nice bed for them and clearing a space for them to stay here. I hope if I do get them that they'll be happy!

You can get Carefresh is most well stocked pet shops, think zooplus.ie/zooplus.co.uk stock it as well. I used to use chinchilla sand you can get that in most shops or online as well. I also tried out non-toxic childrens play sand and filled the tank with it, it worked well they loved it but I found it smelled after only a few days but it can be used as a sand bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

If I remember correctly they are largely diurnal (most active at dusk and dawn). They will nap during the day interspersed with short periods of activity.

A second hand glass fish tank of two to four feet in length is fantastic for them - nice and deep for digging opportunities but the carefresh doesn't spill out on the floor like it does in a wire cage. (I got my tank from Sigma Force!) You need a cover on the tank or they will definitely escape!

They are amazing gnawers and nibblers so I would stay away from plastic toys and accessories - not great for them to be chewing on plastics. They adore chewing up toilet roll inserts and kitchen roll inserts - any kind of light cardboard really. You'll have to plague all your friends and family to keep cardboard for you. :D Try and go for wooden housing and platforms, like the ones from Karlie in Maxi Zoo. They can get stinky from pee (especially with hamsters) but I have put mine through a hot wash in the dishwasher many times and then let them dry out in the hot press. :)

I would get three gerbils rather than two - it could happen that if you get two, one could die unexpectedly and then the other one is left on it's own. :o It's not easy to introduce a new gerbil to an adult gerbil that's been on it's own.

Be careful where you get your gerbils as they might not be sexed properly by the staff and then you'll be in trouble! :eek: Also, store-bought gerbils might be very inbred and have health problems. My two girls came from a pet shop that was closing down. There were dozens of gerbils looking for homes. They were inbred. One of my girls died suddenly well short of her expected lifespan, and the same thing happened to a friend of mine who had adopted a pair from the same group. So caveat emptor!

Hey boomerang

thanks for answering!
    This might be a stupid thing to ask but if I were to use an old, modified fish tank, what would I scrub it with to ensure the gerbils wouldn't get sick from it? I know fish can get various conditions and I'd be concerned about using any second hand housing for that reason. But I don't know what to clean it with?

The gerbils I was looking at were in a pet shop :( Where would I find a breeder? And how can I know if I can trust them to take proper care of the gerbils when they are still small babies? Also, I'm very concerned about the sexing of them. Three is a great idea but I do worry about having surprise babies. I really, really DO NOT want that to happen! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I'd say soaking the used tank in diluted milton to clean it might do the job without leaving a toxic residue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would put it in the bath and use a sponge and diluted mild shampoo or Fairy to clean it. Rinse it well. Then I'd spray it with one of the pet-safe disinfectants from the pet shop, and leave that sit for a few minutes before wiping it dry with kitchen towel. :)

Can't answer your question on finding a good breeder tho. The alternative is to wait until some come into rescue - at least they will be properly sexed. :o

I love the smell of the Keep it Clean disinfectant spray. Kim n Aggie showed a way to clean a fish tank I think they used vinegar and coarse salt which is abraisive but shouldn't scratch the tank. But as said any disinfectant as long as the tank is well rinsed and totally dry afterwards. Cheap white vinegar can be used to give it a wipe over afterwards to clean the glass and remove any smudges it's also a natural cleaner.

Once it's washed and set up make sure you set it up somewhere easy to get to it will be very heavy once full, a little plastic shovel will come in handy when emptying bedding.

UPDATE:

Thanks a million everyone. So as I said above, I have been looking into this properly before actually buying the gerbils. Tonight, I have managed to get a very large reptile tank that is no longer in use (the lovely, little gecko died of old age earlier in the year).

I also have a friend who is into woodwork and have asked him about making little platforms for the gerbils.

SO with a bit of modification (and obviously sterilising the hell outta the tank) would this make a nice home for them?
    Not sure how to go about making it but it's deffo big enough for them to be able to dig! :D

That's great, once you have their basic needs in the tank first it's a start after that what you can do is move things around a bit until you're happy with the set up. zooplus have some cute houses although one gerbil managed to chew through the window then get stuck in it lol but not for long he got out of it again. I used to put a book on top of the tank top because they used to be able to push the lid off.
    I didn't manage to build platforms but did use wooden houses etc to create height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP just a small point, I would recommend going for a same sex pair, keeping three together may cause one to be bullied, especially with females. If you absolutely need to have 3, make sure you get males, but a same sex pair of either males or females should be completely problem free in this regard.

OP just a small point, I would recommend going for a same sex pair, keeping three together may cause one to be bullied, especially with females. If you absolutely need to have 3, make sure you get males, but a same sex pair of either males or females should be completely problem free in this regard.

I don't need three at all, I just don't want one on it's own because it'll be lonely. I'd be very happy with a young pair of either gender, as long as they're healthy and happy with eachother!! I still need to prepare their house and get everything sorted for them but I'm getting excited now :D:D Thanks ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I had gerbils and i've got to say they are fun to watch.
    I see ads for them for free online as many people buy a male and female by mistake. Watch out for this.

Bonded male gerbils get on well together I've had 3 and 4 together with no problems, they were all brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spherical

hi guys,
    i know it's propably not the best topic to place such add, but running out of time and have to try all the options available:P
    so to make it straight: i'm moving out and my new landlord is not a big fan of animals at all... so i have 2 young male gerbils to go, about 6 months old, brothers, lads are healthy and very friendly. It's a pain to me to give them away, so at least i'm trying to find a proper person for them:P
    so if any of experienced with gerbils person is looking for a free gerbils pls let me know asap. I'm living in Cork, but i'm willing to give them a lift if you're not too far away...

Advertisement