Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Oz

Options
  • 23-10-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Het folks
    Im seriously thinking of moving to Oz,I have been thinking of doing so for quite a while,the doom and gloom of this country and weather is really starting to affect me,Im 28 single ,no morgage or kids,and i have savings.I feels im wasting my life here,im currently working in a permanent job doing quality control,i worked my way up production operator level,so i am a hard grafter,i also hold a certificate in quality asuurance from Cit!!Im just wondering is there much of this kind of work over in Oz or is it mostly construction overthere,My cousin has just headed overthere to live this week and it has just hit me hard, am i wasting my life here and shud i join them over there instead of having regrets for the rest of my life,but then again to give up a permanent job is madness also.Any suggestions thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Hello,

Whatever you choose to do please,

stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Have a read of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496201 and maybe ask there

and here is a moving to Oz thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056289290
    A lot of people are in the same boat and have asked the same questions.

For 3 month regional work, you can get a 2 year visa for Australia, which can give you plenty of time to look for a secure job + sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

DecTipp wrote: »
    Het folks
    Im seriously thinking of moving to Oz,I have been thinking of doing so for quite a while,the doom and gloom of this country and weather is really starting to affect me,Im 28 single ,no morgage or kids,and i have savings.I feels im wasting my life here,im currently working in a permanent job doing quality control,i worked my way up production operator level,so i am a hard grafter,i also hold a certificate in quality asuurance from Cit!!Im just wondering is there much of this kind of work over in Oz or is it mostly construction overthere,My cousin has just headed overthere to live this week and it has just hit me hard, am i wasting my life here and shud i join them over there instead of having regrets for the rest of my life,but then again to give up a permanent job is madness also.Any suggestions thanks

doom and gloom and the weather is getting you down , well when i was in oz missing my family , friends and the beating sun in work got me down even more so, i like four seasons so i came home and am very happy, all i can say is nothing stays the same go away and injoy yourself and then you may see things different, i love ireland and i know lots of people who would love to come home but cant!! so be careful what you wish for and best of luck in your venture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

doom and gloom and the weather is getting you down , well when i was in oz missing my family , friends and the beating sun in work got me down even more so, i like four seasons so i came home and am very happy, all i can say is nothing stays the same go away and injoy yourself and then you may see things different, i love ireland and i know lots of people who would love to come home but cant!! so be careful what you wish for and best of luck in your venture!!

Well said!

OP if you feel like you want to just 'get away' then there is no harm in heading over to Australia and seeing how you get on. I felt the exact same last year and headed over to Vancouver with the intention of not returning to Ireland for a long time. That, however, changed after a few months. I missed my family, the weather, my friends, my pets, the list goes on. But I am really happy that I went. Like you I gave up a secure job to go to Vancouver and I don't have any regrets. It was a great experience, I met great people who I am very close to now and I can't wait for my next trip to Australia next year. But this time I am going over with the mind-set of 'I'll see how I get on' and if I am home after a year or 6 months then so be it. Basically do what makes you happy, no one can live in the past but you can look forward to what happens in the future. Best of luck OP. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Can you take a career break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It's a tough decision....mad to leave..mad not to leave!
    You have said you've no ties, so there is no real worry there. I'd well recommend to anyone to take that year or two out. Once you are working and have bills to pay life can become very short. Even if you come home and are on the dole for a while the experience abroad will always stand to you and you're more than likely to have a ball out there and will have great memories to bring back. Save up plenty of cash and make sure you travel around the country and experience the place. Don't be too concerned about getting sponsored. If you do the seasonal work, you'll have 2 years there and that will give you plenty of time to see if you'd like to spend longer there. Best of luck with the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

no kids , no wife , no mortgage, some savings ....go for it !
    If you don't like it or miss home you can always come back.
    If you do not go you will regret later.
    The older you get the harder it gets to make the big move.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Stay in Ireland and save more money and then get a Thai bride in your 50s and take her home....happy days

Advertisement