Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yellowing paint

• 23-10-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

just wondering if it is OK to just overpaint (badly) yellowed paint.
    Will the stain come through again in time?
    I don't want to use damp seal if I can help it as I think that can mask problems.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

whats the yellowing from?
    Is it smoke or damp or age or sun or what?

Why do u mention damp seal?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Carlow52 wrote: »
    whats the yellowing from?
    Is it smoke or damp or age or sun or what?

Why do u mention damp seal?
    I think it has perforated (blead?) through from the chimney as the flues were damp (still are but I have repaired them and am waiting for them to dry out eventually)

I have used Damp Seal in the past as it is quicker than waiting for the wall to dry (also if you are inexperienced it seems like a simple solution ,no?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I don't like using stuff like that:) especially on top of damp.

I prefer to address the problem of damp, but perhaps am old school:)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

Carlow52 wrote: »
    I don't like using stuff like that:) especially on top of damp.

I prefer to address the problem of damp, but perhaps am old school:)

So do I -and luckily I am able to access the chimney stacks to eliminate the leaks.
    However it has taken me years to work out where the water was getting in ( not helped by the fact that the builders had capped most of the flues with lead hats that I was reluctant to tamper with - they were trapping in moisture although to me it looked like they were keeping it out)

Advertisement