Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start ???

• 23-10-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So my main objective in life is to become a pilot in the AirCorps but any role in the defence forces would be hugely satisfactory. I'am turning 17 in a few days and really want to join the reserves. I have been doing my research but still have a few questions;

Are the reserves still taking people on with the current recruitment freeze ?

If they are, which would be the best/easiest unit to join in the Dublin area ? (I don't mean easiest as in work rate but to get into)

Do you actually get paid for going training ? (Money is by no means my motivation for joining, just be nice to give something back to my parents)

I see there is an Eye test, sometimes in class I struggle to see the board while others have no problems. Just wondering how good dose your eyesight actually have to be ?

Any response would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Ok, Richard first things first, if you want to be a pilot get an eyetest done soon. Better now than be disappointed later. It sounds like you have an issue there but glasses may solve it. Same for the army.

As for the RDF, well there are others here with up to date info. If you like the Air Corps one of the 62nd Infantry's companies are based in Baldonnel.

On the point of becoming an Air Corps pilot well I'm sure you know it's competitive and there are very few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RichardDunne5

xflyer wrote: »
    Ok, Richard first things first, if you want to be a pilot get an eyetest done soon. Better now than be disappointed later. It sounds like you have an issue there but glasses may solve it. Same for the army.

As for the RDF, well there are others here with up to date info. If you like the Air Corps one of the 62nd Infantry's companies are based in Baldonnel.

On the point of becoming an Air Corps pilot well I'm sure you know it's competitive and there are very few places.

Yeah I do have a bit of an eyesight problem but I have an upcoming appointment at the opticians soon, so hopefully that problem will be sorted soon.

And yes I'm well aware of how competitive it is in the AirCorps, I will try my best but as I said any role in the Defence Forces will do me just fine :).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

Don't rule out the Naval Service Reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I am open for correction on this but I am sure that if you wear glasses you are not eligible for air corps but they do say in their joining instructions for the cadets that you cant have undergone laser eye surgery.
    Try and get yourself started with a lesson or two in being a private pilot as it may help in the interview process that you are interested in flying.

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    I am open for correction on this but I am sure that if you wear glasses you are not eligible for air corps but they do say in their joining instructions for the cadets that you cant have undergone laser eye surgery.
    Try and get yourself started with a lesson or two in being a private pilot as it may help in the interview process that you are interested in flying.
    Yes maybe in an ideal world mate but I don't have near that kind of money to get private flying lessons. :(

• Advertisement

ruserious wrote: »
    Don't rule out the Naval Service Reserve.
    I'am 100% open to all Military fractions, do you know where they train and if they are recruiting atm ? and what are my chances of getting in ? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Yes maybe in an ideal world mate but I don't have near that kind of money to get private flying lessons. :(

very true I know but I had to say it;);)
    but most rdf units are still recruiting just there numbers arent as big as what they were.

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    Ohh and what about contact lenses are they acceptable do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

Are the reserves still taking people on with the current recruitment freeze ?

If they are, which would be the best/easiest unit to join in the Dublin area ? (I don't mean easiest as in work rate but to get into)

Do you actually get paid for going training ? (Money is by no means my motivation for joining, just be nice to give something back to my parents)

Recruitment in the RDF is very disorganised - it is hit and miss as to whether you get in or not.

Some Units are still recruiting - However there can be up to a 2 year waiting period. The better units are overrun with applicants and will either put you at the bottom of the list or reject your application.

If you go for a good unit, you will usually have to wait the 2 years but they will keep you updated irregularly and at least you will know what is going on. A bad unit will put you on a list and forget about you.

However the important question for you is where are you from. They people can tell you which is the nearest good unit.

And you only get paid for attending Full Time Training which is a week or 2 weeks in the summer.

Recruitment in the RDF is very disorganised - it is hit and miss as to whether you get in or not.

Some Units are still recruiting - However there can be up to a 2 year waiting period. The better units are overrun with applicants and will either put you at the bottom of the list or reject your application.

If you go for a good unit, you will usually have to wait the 2 years but they will keep you updated irregularly and at least you will know what is going on. A bad unit will put you on a list and forget about you.

However the important question for you is where are you from. They people can tell you which is the nearest good unit.

And you only get paid for attending Full Time Training which is a week or 2 weeks in the summer.
    Ok thanks for the info and sorry forgot to mention I'm from the North Inner City :o If that helps.

• Advertisement

And do you know could I put my name on the waiting list for more than one unit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

I'am 100% open to all Military fractions, do you know where they train and if they are recruiting atm ? and what are my chances of getting in ? Thanks.

In Dublin, afaik it's Cathal Brugha. Probably a huge waiting list like every other RDF unit but worth a try. I did a few years in the NSR, worth every moment. The NSR can go on patrols with the PDF.

ruserious wrote: »
    In Dublin, afaik it's Cathal Brugha. Probably a huge waiting list like every other RDF unit but worth a try. I did a few years in the NSR, worth every moment. The NSR can go on patrols with the PDF.
    Sorry bit of noob but whats NSR ?:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hangedhitman

Sorry bit of noob but whats NSR ?:o
    naval service reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Ohh and what about contact lenses are they acceptable do you know ?

http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/images/careers/booklets/Officer_Cadet_Booklet.pdf

Read para.3.

Thanks for the info pal, hopefully its not too much of a problem.

I'm turning 17 tomorrow so I'm gonna ring either Cathal Bruagh brks or McKee then and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Thanks for the info pal, hopefully its not too much of a problem.

I'm turning 17 tomorrow so I'm gonna ring either Cathal Bruagh brks or McKee then and see what they say.

Info on RDF:

RDF 2 Eastern Brigade
    Address:
    Cathal Brugha Barracks
    Rathmines
    Dublin 6
    Office:
    01 8046243- 8046568
    Email:
    paul.mulhern@defenceforces.ie

All on military.ie

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

67 (McKee) and 62 (Cathal Brugha) Infantry Bns are both good units.

Be careful what they tell you on the phone. You could be told anything, both correct or incorrect. Hopefully they will give you a good answer.

67 (McKee) and 62 (Cathal Brugha) Infantry Bns are both good units.

Be careful what they tell you on the phone. You could be told anything, both correct or incorrect. Hopefully they will give you a good answer.
    So I finally got around to ringing them today and I was told to go up to Cathal Bruagh Barracks Tuesday night with my Birth cert and 2 passport photos, dose that sound correct or were they just saying anything to get me off the phone, in your opinion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

no man thats right, 2 passport photos and your birthcert.

WF

• Advertisement
Advertisement