Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So is Congestion still an issue with users on the 100Mb package with UPC?

• 23-10-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Just wanted to find out from users of the 100Mb UPC service is Congestion still a major issue during the peak times of 6pm to Midnight? Lucan is getting an infrastructure update to make these packages available in the area, but I have had issues for the last 15 months on their 30Mb broadband Max service where I get less then 10Mb during these peak times. I would be interested in upgrading if the service doesn't drop below 80Mb during peak times.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

From the lack of response it looks like no congestion issues on 100Mb package during peak times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've never had an issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Nor me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

me neither, but it depends on what you call congestion.

you *could* have your 100mbps connection 90% choked and you've still got 10mbps to play with, so you're unlikely to really notice unless you're doing speedtests every 5 minutes.

it's like owning a big car, you can just pootle around all day without hardly touching the throttle and still keep up with the guys in the little cars thrashing the nuts out of them. :)

it's more down to getting what your paying for I'd be happy with 80% of the 100Mb at peaktimes but say it drops down around 50Mb's at peak time then your not really getting the service you've signed up to, thats my only concern that if your area is over-subscribed then your going to run into issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Never any real issues with me, I have never experience a speed drop more than say 10%. To be honest, the 100Mb line now costs the same as the 30Mb did. The new lines are pretty damn good.

Thor wrote: »
    Never any real issues with me, I have never experience a speed drop more than say 10%. To be honest, the 100Mb line now costs the same as the 30Mb did. The new lines are pretty damn good.
    i should have actually said that it generally hasn't dropped below 80mbps any of the times i've been testing it and quite a lot of those have been peak times, just to check.

i honestly don't mind how much it drops if it isn't impacting my online experience.

if i'm surfing the net, it's not going to make much of a difference if i have 10mbps or 100mbps at my disposal.

i do like to keep any heavy downloading outside of peak times, just to be a good online citizen and it's all working very well for me so far (touch wood). :)

any of you have the upc phone package? Is there any call degradation if say your downloading stuff?

any of you have the upc phone package? Is there any call degradation if say your downloading stuff?
    no, the call bandwidth is totally separate from your broadband. you could hammer the crap out of the broadband and you'd never know it on the phone.

having said that, i've never been able to do any one (or several) thing(s) on the 100mbps that has had any effect on any other thing.

i've had 2 different vpn connections to work, 20mbps of torrents, skype calls, web radio streams, youtube HD and web browsing all on different pc's at the same time and you'd never see anything making a dent in anything else, there is plenty to go around, no matter what you're doing.

Advertisement