Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE THIRD POLICEMAN

Options
  • 23-10-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Has anybody read this book by Flann O'Brien? AKA Brian O'Nolan.

I heard it was used as a basis for Lost but I had of course heard of Brian O'Nolan through the Irish Times-Times past and the play "The Brother"

I have enjoyed reading the book. Its obviously very surreal and funny. I enjoy the De Selby footnotes. They are so extensive ,it's almost like a book within a book. I've stopped reading the book at night as I think the writing is so detailed my sleepy eyes gloss over too much.

Any views on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭pretentiouslad

Read it recently, really enjoyed it, the surreal logic was great, like men becoming more like their bikes! Apparently, At Swim two birds is the only o' brien book worth reading, but i disagree, the third policeman was really enjoyable, although at times I found myself reading a page and then having to re-read it, but I was probably just tired. Love the "twist" at the end, wraps things up nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

read it once about 10 years ago and don't remember much about it, but do remember laughing out loud reading it though. must read this again. never got into at swim two birds myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I've read "The Hard Life" and years ago, "Beal Bocht" and enjoyed both.

The Hard Life in particular is an easy read and very funny.

Also the book of his collected writing as Myles is well worth checking out.

Read it recently, really enjoyed it, the surreal logic was great, like men becoming more like their bikes! Apparently, At Swim two birds is the only o' brien book worth reading, but i disagree, the third policeman was really enjoyable, although at times I found myself reading a page and then having to re-read it, but I was probably just tired. Love the "twist" at the end, wraps things up nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I love the book when I read it, and completely agree with you on the de Selby footnotes.

I think the whole thing with Lost isn't that the series was based on the book, more that a central theme of the book (mentioned above regarding the bicycles) plays heavily in the tv series.

Haven't read anything else by him, but have been meaning to read At Swim for ages now.

• Advertisement

It reads like an extended dream/nightmare. Unfortunately I found out the central conceit of the book roughly about two thirds through. Glanced at some notes at the end of the book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

My favourite book ever. I should really read his other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

MASSIVE FAN of O'Nolan in general. But The Third Policeman is by far one of my favorite books. The Best of Myles is also very entertaining as are his other novels. With the exception maybe of The Dalky Archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

if memory serves, an actual copy of the book appears as a prop in an episode of Lost sometime.
    I loved the book, hated Lost :p

Is it about a bicycle you are all here about?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

old gregg wrote: »
    if memory serves, an actual copy of the book appears as a prop in an episode of Lost sometime.
    I loved the book, hated Lost :p

Ha! I have a new respect for Lost now even though I jumped ship (plane?) after the third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

JaneHudson wrote: »
    Ha! I have a new respect for Lost now even though I jumped ship (plane?) after the third season.

and here you go Jane:
    http://blather.net/zeitgeist/archives/2005/09/lost_and_the_th.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

an absolute classis
    i'd recommend everyone to read this book
    get stuck into At Swim-Two-Birds next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Surreal and interesting on that basis. It left me with surreal images like a Dali painting might but as a memorable novel I wouldn't count it (though maybe I just contradicted myself there)
    Enjoyable but wasn't a page turner for me and don't really feel the urge to pick it up again

Advertisement