Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Azealia Banks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JessieWilliam

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Anyone on her? Someone I've come across lately. Her lyrics certainly aren't timid:

Azealia Banks is getting a fair bit of daytime radio play & on the video channels etc with her single "212". . I was intrigued by the lyrics so, as you do - I looked-um up.

Was I in for a surprise!

That first site I found gives a definition as to what the lyrical metaphors mean when you click on them . . but most need no explanation.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My brother introduced me to her a couple of months ago. I think she's class. Very good singing voice too. Definitely going places, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Anyone on her?
    I wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Way-heeeey.

Not the only one.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

She's got a couple of good tunes and a lot of not very good tunes. I'll be keeping an eye out but at this point I think people are getting very overhyped on the basis of 212 alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Shes definitley got talent but I just think she hasnt found her sound.

I really dont like the 212 track, the flow just doesnt sound right and its just got the wrong beat entirely.

She seems to be a big hit with the ever 80s loving hipsters but outside of that she doesnt seem to get a lot of recognition as a hip-hop artist. Time will tell where she goes with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I don't know hippy/ster seems to be getting big again in Hip-Hop.

She seems to be a big hit with the ever 80s loving hipsters but outside of that she doesnt seem to get a lot of recognition as a hip-hop artist. Time will tell where she goes with it

It's too early to tell, but she's definitely making waves, especially after having one of the biggest sets at Coachella. Eve has already expressed an interest in working with her too.

It's too early to tell, but she's definitely making waves, especially after having one of the biggest sets at Coachella. Eve has already expressed an interest in working with her too.

I think if somebody else wrote a propper hip hop track that paid hommage to 90s hip hop , get somebody like eve featuring and get a big name to produce it - premier / dre etc... that she could definitley blow up and be taken seriously as a hip hop artist, rather than just hipster fodder

I think if somebody else wrote a propper hip hop track that paid hommage to 90s hip hop , get somebody like eve featuring and get a big name to produce it - premier / dre etc... that she could definitley blow up and be taken seriously as a hip hop artist, rather than just hipster fodder

That's a very specific criteria you've got there. I don't think she'd have to do any of those things to be taken seriously. Whatever happened to people just doing things on their own terms? Why does it have to be Dr. Dre/Premier, why does it have to be a tribute to 90s hip hop, why does someone else have to write it?

Some hip hop fans are just plain weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

just lol

That's a very specific criteria you've got there. I don't think she'd have to do any of those things to be taken seriously. Whatever happened to people just doing things on their own terms? Why does it have to be Dr. Dre/Premier, why does it have to be a tribute to 90s hip hop, why does someone else have to write it?

Some hip hop fans are just plain weird.

Im just making suggestions lad. In my view that 212 track isnt great same with l8r and barbie shít, But she reminds me of lil kim in a way, I just think shed be better suited to an older hiphop sound, or atleast somebody composing the beat who didnt just spend $3000 on a macbook pro and download a drum machine & synth then call it quits.

Im just making suggestions lad. In my view that 212 track isnt great same with l8r and barbie shít, But she reminds me of lil kim in a way, I just think shed be better suited to an older hiphop sound, or atleast somebody composing the beat who didnt just spend $3000 on a macbook pro and download a drum machine & synth then call it quits.

Well it's hardly going to happen on the first go at making something. She's only getting started. Some of her recent music she recorded alone in Montreal and released onto Youtube herself (L8r and the Slow Hands cover) before releasing 212.

Her 212 track is good, in my opinion. It shows the level of her versatility as a singer and rapper, her talent as a potential pop star, and it's getting her the attention she needs so she can get noticed and attract bigger producers. She's also far more talented than Lil Kim ever was.

The fact that she's generating so much buzz on the strength of this not-100%-perfect EP is pretty indicative of how good she could potentially be. It's only the beginning for her.

Announcement today of a collab with Missy Elliot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

lolololololol

She's got production from the likes of Lunice and Diplo if you think they started making beats last week when they got a laptop then you're very much mistaken.

But I think you can direct that criticism at Azaelia. She's still too green. She's been rapping a few years but it lacks something. She may well turn into a good artist but she's gotten hyped a little early. When I see what the album/mixtape is like then I'll judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Ha what!
    Eve and Dre collabs to be taken seriously? Yeah actually I reckon she should take Left Eye Lopez's place on the TLC re-union tour for a real career boost. [/SARCASM!!]

I like her... she crosses genres and has loads of personality. Her rap style is cool but I'd agree maybe she's blowing up too quickly. She's pretty raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Ah now she is no left eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

She's alright. Heard that 212 song last year and now all of a sudden I see every second person putting it up on Facebook with the usual "OMG <3 this song" nonsnese that happens. I even heard my sister listening to it last night.

She'll need to come out with a few more catchy ones like that if she wants to stay in the spotlight. The majority of the people that put up the link are pretty stupid. They'll love it this week and have forgotten completely about it in 3/4 weeks.

Fair play to her though for getting so much attention for a song with a hook like it has.

Advertisement