Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a moderator..

Options
  • 23-10-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

When applying for my license I thought I would have had no need but given a nosy neighbour with a 9month old nappy pooper she seems other wise

I'd like to point out she lives about 700metres from where i shoot (22lr :rolleyes::rolleyes:) Have contacted my local FO (and nice she is to deal with too) and she said all I have to do is send in a letter addressed to the super explaining the reasons as to why I require a mod.

Just wondering what exactly I should say. Obviously the more reasons the better.. Im guessing a 3 line I WANT A MOD isnt good enough :D

Sorry for the silly question new to all of this..

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

aurin07 wrote: »
    When applying for my license I thought I would have had no need but given a nosy neighbour with a 9month old nappy pooper she seems other wise

I'd like to point out she lives about 700metres from where i shoot (22lr :rolleyes::rolleyes:) Have contacted my local FO (and nice she is to deal with too) and she said all I have to do is send in a letter addressed to the super explaining the reasons as to why I require a mod.

Just wondering what exactly I should say. Obviously the more reasons the better.. Im guessing a 3 line I WANT A MOD isnt good enough :D

Sorry for the silly question new to all of this..

A

Would have been easier just to tick the box for a moderator when applying for the license , but all you need to say is you want it so it keeps the noise down when hunting and you dont want to startle farm animals. Unless you are a member of a shooting range DONT say you want it to keep the noise down when plinking/target shooting. That will just open a new can of worms. Just be honest and say the reason you want it , be sure he/she knows you know the legalities of the shooting distance from roads or dwellings. There is rarely any hassle in my experience. You can still buy one in a gun shop without having it on your license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

I would have assumed the shops would get a lil ratty without it..

Or is it a white lie sort of thing...

Ya i know should have done it from the start but wasn't thinking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

aurin07 wrote: »
    I would have assumed the shops would get a lil ratty without it..

Or is it a white lie sort of thing...

Ya i know should have done it from the start but wasn't thinking :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a moderator on all of my rifles and was never asked if i have it on my license ( even though I do)

I think its a grey area , its just better to be safe than sorry anyway. I got a .22 silencer for €80 a few weeks ago and its a great job with the subsonics all you hear is the firing pin and the impact of the bullet hitting target :D

A few of my friends have silencers without the "S" on their license , Personally Id just be too afraid if I was to run into the gards while out shooting. They could make things very awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I think its a grey area

I think it is a lot more black and white than that. You are either licensed to have one or you are not.

I know my local dealer won't sell/order one for you until he confirms you have the magic S.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MC.ISF wrote: »
    You can still buy one in a gun shop without having it on your license.

If caught without the "S" on your license you can be charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm. So while a shop can sell you one, you may not possess, use one without the "S".
    MC.ISF wrote: »
    I think its a grey area ,

No. black and white as above.
    A few of my friends have silencers without the "S" on their license , Personally Id just be too afraid if I was to run into the gards while out shooting. They could make things very awkward

If you consider loosing your firearms, a fine, and possible imprisonment to be awkward then yes.
    Arcto wrote: »
    I think it is a lot more black and white than that. You are either licensed to have one or you are not.

Correct.
    I know my local dealer won't sell/order one for you until he confirms you have the magic S.

He is legally not obliged to do this, but its going to catch on as more and more dealers cover their ass by asking for this.

Remember that under the law a mod is classed as a firearm in its own right, and must be licensed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Hi,
    Where on the license should the magic "S" be,
    I have a couple of 22's and a .17hmr and my LFO just said "arrh it will be fine" when i was applying, in fact i've never even seen an application form, just signed the bottom and he did the rest.
    So i probably don't have it on my license even though the local Gards and LFO both know i have them. I'm more than likely screwed if i were to be stopped outside the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hi,
    Where on the license should the magic "S" be,
    I have a couple of 22's and a .17hmr and my LFO just said "arrh it will be fine" when i was applying, in fact i've never even seen an application form, just signed the bottom and he did the rest.
    So i probably don't have it on my license even though the local Gards and LFO both know i have them. I'm more than likely screwed if i were to be stopped outside the area.

Should be in the bottom left corner of the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I actually believe most guards would not be aufait with the "s" on the license.
    there is very poor explanation of the license. Many of us applied for supressors but have no indication that we have permission other than the presence of the "s"

Most of us would not know we had been granted permission unless we had read about it here.

All the lettering has come off my license anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A lot of Gardai wouldnt have an idea about any firearms issues, I handed in my application a while back(granted in 10 days:) ) and the sergeant informed me a copy of my club membership card wasn't good enough they needed to see the actual card, grand. Go back down to station next day with the card, guard takes one look at form says grand, didnt even look at the card and I had removed the photocopy, then told me don't worry about the ammunition limit and to buy whatever I wanted:/.

In short, the Gardai differ like chalk and cheese in their regards to firearms laws, you have to know the story yourself. They may tell you "ah sure buy a mod if ya want one, dont worry about the S" or to buy any ammo ya want, but at the end of the day it's your licence and it's your responsibility to know the law and abide by it.

Advertisement