Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Withdrawing from programme

• 23-10-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm going to drop out of my course soon and I've gotten a lot of conflicting information from different sources regarding fees and the ability to change courses. I'd appreciate if someone could answer the following questions:

1. Is it absolutely 100% too late to switch courses at this stage of the year. I want to go to Social Sciences, is there any chance of changing now?

2. Let's say I have to wait till next year, by withdrawing from my course this week does it mean I get the registration fee back? Also, must I pay half tuition next year or is it all covered? (This is one of the sketchiest points for me, I've been told I'll have to pay it all by some reputable sources, online it says the state will pay for it in full but that was from last year, and apparently the records office said i'll have to pay half tuition - help!)

3. Must I apply through the CAO this year? Is the procedure the same as it was last year or is there other things I'll have to do because I'm reapplying?

If you can provide (up to date) sources with your replies I'd appreciate it. Other than that, thanks for any help provided!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'm sorry, I'm going to start with basically saying I don't know. But have you asked anyone officially? The online and reputable sources might not be up to date, the best place to ask about this would be the registration office in the West Wing I'd say.

About changing courses and reapplying, I'd say ask your head of dept (if you're in Arts they'll know who's in charge of Social Science I'd say since it comes under the Arts faculty) or ask them who to ask. Afaik Noirin Deady is the first year advisor person (she was when I was in first year, this could've changed but I assume this person was talking to you in orientation) who is available to discuss options if you're dropping out of a course or changing or whatever.

Sorry I'm not more help, but honestly I think you'd be better off asking those qualified to answer in person rather than the internet...and I really hope this works out for you and you get the course you want in the end. :) best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Thanks for the kind words there :) tbh i expected ucc to be unanimous about the whole thing but i seemed to be getting different information depending on which department i spoke to. I visited the fees office today and have cleared up the confusion with regards fees so that was the main thing weighing on my mind. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭tammyme

On the note of changing courses, it is a bit late in the day but there might be a chance if maybe you showed that you were very serious about wanting to do social science? It's still noiren deedy you talk to and she's really into keeping students in the college so i'm sure she'd at least hear you out or tell you about options for next year. The only thing is, i know social science first years have 3 assignments due in november so you'd be taking on a fair bit of work :(
    regarding CAO you just apply the same way you did last year!

hope it works out for you!

Advertisement