Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Aspire problem

• 23-10-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

my laptop is 18months old and stopped working. the technician told me it s a motherboard problem and to contact the acer technical support line. after 16 phone calls it transpires that i have no rights since i didnt buy the extended warranty with Know How. does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hi What's up with it? What are the symptoms?

Can you buy a late extended warranty for Acer's? I think you can on a few of them, But seeing as yours has already gone to them and they know you don't/didn't have one, i'd say your best bet is to try and repair it yourself.

I may be wrong, but i think that, because it's out of warranty, it works out as, nothing you can do.

What model number is it, and if you can post as much details about the symptoms as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you can demonstrate that the problem stems from a manufacturing fault, warranty is irrelevant and under EU law they must fix it regardless. Easier said than done, admittedly, but of you found reports on the internet of lots of Acer users having the same problem that would be a start. There are plenty of cases of manufacturers being pressured into doing out of warranty repairs when it turns out there is a general problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kungfu_Chuck

I also have an Aspire and the machine just died on me. Its not even 2 years old. I sent it off for repair and the guy said it was a motherboard problem. The power just wont catch on it. He advised to get a new laptop, which Im currently looking into. Although my head is wrecked with the laptop fault. I cant sync my iphone to it so going to loose a lot of stuff on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In most cases like this the hard drive inside the laptop will still be fine, so you just need to take it out and hook it up to a different computer (you can get a USB cable to do this) to retrieve the data.

Great stuff thanks for the tip. Ill get onto it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Allyall wrote: »
    Hi What's up with it? What are the symptoms?

Can you buy a late extended warranty for Acer's? I think you can on a few of them, But seeing as yours has already gone to them and they know you don't/didn't have one, i'd say your best bet is to try and repair it yourself.

I may be wrong, but i think that, because it's out of warranty, it works out as, nothing you can do.

What model number is it, and if you can post as much details about the symptoms as possible.

sorry about delay,
    well the laptop will not power on. i dont hear the fans start up either. iv looked up online and iv been hearing the same problem with other aspire models. the ac adapter is fine. iv had it checked with a lad from college and he said it could be the dc jack connection to the motherboard. i had it checked then with a technician and he said the same thing and he said that the motherboard could be cracked? iv been looking online at problems it could be for months and its an expensive laptop so fixing it myself is not an option.

its an acer aspire 7736G. any advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

A few people i know with acers seem to have overheating problems due to their design. i betting this is what happened to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    A few people i know with acers seem to have overheating problems due to their design. i betting this is what happened to the op.

and what did these people do? replace the motherboard or buy a new laptop altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

blorg wrote: »
    If you can demonstrate that the problem stems from a manufacturing fault, warranty is irrelevant and under EU law they must fix it regardless. Easier said than done, admittedly, but of you found reports on the internet of lots of Acer users having the same problem that would be a start. There are plenty of cases of manufacturers being pressured into doing out of warranty repairs when it turns out there is a general problem.

I'd go with this. It seems to be a well known problem (i.e. Faulty before you bought it), and depending on where you bought it, they will probably do an "out of warranty repair"

Q11 on this page - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

Something worth reading (Also a number to contact and ask them for help) - http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html

I'm assuming that you are not responsible for the damage to this laptop.

Also worth mentioning, (or showing if possible) all the other problems that show up on google for that model.

I ended getting a new laptop, the XPS 15Z and am extremely satisfied with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement