Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports: Banned from soccer forum for one month

Options
  • 23-10-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

I got banned today for 1 month for posting about the Man Utd vs Man City match in the Man Utd superthread when the match thread was locked.

The match thread was locked after some tit for tat nonsense that was taking it off topic, none of which I was involved in.

When the match thread was locked I went in to the super thread for a read. At the same time Utd had pulled a goal back and another poster had posted something along the lines of " great goal from Fletch, surely too late"

I replied with what was supposed to be a joke: " it is and don't call me Shirely".

Now I am aware of the rule that I am alleged to have broken about not continuing match thread discussions in super threads if they have been locked, but I think my ban is harsh in the extreme.

The only part of the post that can be construed as commenting on the match are " it is" and this was used in the context of delivering the (now costly) joke.

I understand totally why the rule is there and agree with it but in this context I think I have been incorrectly called up on it. Maybe technically "it is" is discussing the match but it's not bringing the discussion that the match thread was locked for on to the super thread and really it's hardly discussing the game at all is it? As Ive said it was meant to be a joke.

I'd also like to point out that as far as I know, I've never even had an infraction on boards in all my time here, let alone a ban. I know that doesn't exclude anyone from a ban if they have broken the rules, but I think it's worth pointing out, especially as I feel I've been banned on a dubious technicality.

I've discussed with Frisbee through PM and am so now appealing this ban and asking for a review by a cmod or whoever the relevant person is.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

Looking into this now just looking for more info from the mod.

Hi,

As this is clearly set out in the soccer forum charter in fact it has its own section,its hard for anybody to say they were not aware of the rule.The charter is there in black and white and the mod implemented it correctly as that thread was a mess and needed to be cleaned up.What you have to understand is these are fast moving sitauations and when it kicks off its best if everybody just sits back and let the mods clean it up.

So as the ban was within the guidelines set out in the charter the decision is upheld.For the record here is the bit in the charter.

Link
    Due to the recent amount of hostility and aggression displayed in matchday threads as well as giving people infractions/bannings for stepping out of line if there are too many people dragging the thread of course it will be locked mid-game for at least 5 minutes, maybe more at the Mods discretion.

Anyone who proceeds to take match thread to a new thread, their respective club Superthread or the general weekend thread will receive an immediate one month ban

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dub13 wrote: »
    Hi,

As this is clearly set out in the soccer forum charter in fact it has its own section,its hard for anybody to say they were not aware of the rule.The charter is there in black and white and the mod implemented it correctly as that thread was a mess and needed to be cleaned up.What you have to understand is these are fast moving sitauations and when it kicks off its best if everybody just sits back and let the mods clean it up.

So as the ban was within the guidelines set out in the charter the decision is upheld.For the record here is the bit in the charter.

Link

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It seems to be taking the letter of the law to the extreme imo but the decision is the decision.

Think I`ll bow out of the soccer forum for an extended period. I was posting less and less due to the bickering but this decision has more or less made my mind up.

I have been talking to Frisbee about this over the last few days,as I said this was the first time this new rule has been implemented.The rule is needed but we are both in agreement that a 1 month ban for it is a bit on the excessive side.So we are going to change the charter and reduce this offense to a 1 week ban.

As for the group that has been banned already for a month we have agreed to reduce this down to a 2 week ban.I know its still a week over what it will be in the future but its also 2 weeks shorter than it was when the incident happened.So I hope this keeps everybody happy.

I have been talking to Frisbee about this over the last few days,as I said this was the first time this new rule has been implemented.The rule is needed but we are both in agreement that a 1 month ban for it is a bit on the excessive side.So we are going to change the charter and reduce this offense to a 1 week ban.

As for the group that has been banned already for a month we have agreed to reduce this down to a 2 week ban.I know its still a week over what it will be in the future but its also 2 weeks shorter than it was when the incident happened.So I hope this keeps everybody happy.

I appreciate you guys trying to come to a resolution on this but can you not see the stupidity of the bans in the first place and above resolution?

From now on anyone acting the maggot on a match thread that forces it to be closed can continue it on in a new thread/ super thread and face a weeks ban, yet myself and others are banned for two weeks for what is imo, bad interpretation of the rule?

Way to go.

• Advertisement

That is one way to look at it,the other would be you ban was cut in half.

Would you be happy if I just came in here and said you ban is cut in half and gave no feedback on what we are going to do going forward,so would you be happy with just a cut in you ban if you were not aware the rule was going to change..?

That is one way to look at it,the other would be you ban was cut in half.

Would you be happy if I just came in here and said you ban is cut in half and gave no feedback on what we are going to do going forward,so would you be happy with just a cut in you ban if you were not aware the rule was going to change..?

I honestly wouldnt as I dont think the bans were deserved in the first place.

adox wrote: »
    I honestly wouldnt as I dont think the bans were deserved in the first place.

Well as I have pointed out that rule is in the charter,if you don't agree with it then its a feedback issue going forward.The rule is there,we are going to modify it and have reduced you ban in half.Any other issue such as the merits or not of the rule is not for the Dispute Resolution process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

The soccer mods have agreed the ban should be reduced to one week - in line with the revised rule.

As the week has now passed - ban is lifted and access is restored.

Closing this now and marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement