Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to walk a dog in Sligo

Options
  • 23-10-2011 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

We normally go to Culleenamore beach or up to Mitchell Curley park. I was just wondering are there any other good places to go, that are dog friendly.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 InquiringMind

Hazelwood or deer park are good places too

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

The nature trail in Sligo IT is good

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

A bit of a drive from sligo but you'll find this beach very dog friendly as you'll probably meet no one else

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34105203

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Where is deer park?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

jazyguy wrote: »
    Where is deer park?
    Thanks
    calry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Hazelwood, Union Wood, Glen Wood, Dunmoran, Aughris, Doorly Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just be warned - if you've a dog who likes to burrow, Hazelwood and Slishwood are full of ticks.. so check the dog when you come back from there! ;)

Streedagh is a nice, quiet and clean beach.. recommended for the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

The back avenue is a good walk. Any of the beaches are suitable really. Walk out to Killaspugbrone Church either.

What I love about Cullenamore is you can let them off the lead and have a good run and nobody minds, its like a beach for dogs. I was kind of looking for other places like this. Doorly park and places around town are grand but I suppose I should have been more specific, i really want to find places where he can run off the lead, meet other dogs and no one will mind.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

The nature trail in Sligo IT is good

How long is this walk? Is it sign posted or anything have been in the IT lots fo times and never knew it was there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Dunmoran Strand is good for dogs. Have a Newfoundland that we bring swimming there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

GG66 wrote: »
    A bit of a drive from sligo but you'll find this beach very dog friendly as you'll probably meet no one else

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/34105203

That photo is from somewhere in Donegal :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

As far as having dogs loose, while I agree it's nice, when you have a dog on a lead and someone else has a dog pestering yours, it's not so nice. I keep the dog on a lead as he's a sled dog and could run miles before thinking of looking to see if your behind him. Not worth the risk of letting loose. Last thing you want is someone's terrier coming charging over snarling. Friendly dogs are grand but many owners don't realise when their dog is a wee b@stard. And then give you dirty looks as if it's your fault. I know a guy who was walking on Culleenamore that this happened to and the guy with the loose dog who attacked his started shouting at him, saying his dog (on a lead) "provoked" his. Of course I'm sure your dog is a little angel:D
    Dunmoran, Streedagh, 2nd beach at the point are all good for a loose dog.
    The forests are less so. They could chase deer etc. and get lost very easily. Having said that, Slish, Union and Hazelwood are all nice and big enough for a decent walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Go to Queen Maedbhs Tomb at Knocknerea. Lead for the first 20 mins and then free if no sheep around. Great walk

I thought about this often but wondered what it would be like at the top. Is there not a steep drop on one side? A good tip I got recently is if Mitchell Curley park is full and your stuck for time the empty office block next to the An Post sorting office has plenty of green space around it and you can park just off the roundabout.

thomur wrote: »
    Go to Queen Maedbhs Tomb at Knocknerea. Lead for the first 20 mins and then free if no sheep around. Great walk

There's pretty much always sheep up there. Even if you don't see them, a dog could smell them half a mile away. And besides, a farmer can legally shoot your dog if he sees him near sheep. And not to cast aspersions on the people who keep sheep on Knocknarea, it wouldn't be unheard of for some sheep farmers to lay poison illegally. Just not worth the risk imo. Plus the dog is handy to pull you up the really steep parts.:o

jazyguy, if you've never been up Knocknarea, do it. Pick a clear day. It's far more spectacular than you would imagine. The cliffs are a half mile from the cairn on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

red sean wrote: »
    That photo is from somewhere in Donegal :confused::confused:

Could well be, I just picked it off the map location. Didn't really pay much attention to the photo.

Still, a great beach if you need to run your dog run free. I have a german shepperd which makes some people nervous (even on a lead) + small dogs attack him all the time, for being bigger I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

Dunmoran Strand is a great place for the dogs. My doberman loves a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

DickBunce wrote: »
    Dunmoran Strand is a great place for the dogs. My doberman loves a good run.

Yeah, the birds there are only resting and feeding migrants, a good chase by a Doberman does them the world of good. And the kids playing on the beach just love finding the turds.

It's a shame that the minority letting dogs off the lead in places like that do so much harm to the reputation of responsible dog owners.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

LostCovey wrote: »
    Yeah, the birds there are only resting and feeding migrants, a good chase by a Doberman does them the world of good. And the kids playing on the beach just love finding the turds.

It's a shame that the minority letting dogs off the lead in places like that do so much harm to the reputation of responsible dog owners.

LC

Quick, slighlty off thread question from a new dog owner. Is it ever acceptable to let dogs off a lead if no-one else around if well behaved or is this a no-no.

• Advertisement

Richard571 wrote: »

LC

Quick, slighlty off thread question from a new dog owner. Is it ever acceptable to let dogs off a lead if no-one else around if well behaved or is this a no-no.

The council has local by-laws which tell you with regards beaches. There's a sign at Culleenamore for example that says not before sometime in the evening, even though it might just be in the summer. Not sure. If your dog isn't cross, comes when he's called etc. as long as there's not lots of people around, I'm sure nobody will bother you. If it's busy and he humps a granny's leg, sh1ts on a sand castle in front of a distraught child and runs away while you call after him......not so good.

We finally did it, climbed Knocknarea this morning. Its perfectly safe to take a dog up although a little dull for the dog. The path up is quite narrow and there is no place for them to get a good run. We met three other dogs during our climb. The views are well worth the effort but I dont think it will become our usual Sunday morning walk!

Richard 571
    Depends on where you are and what time and how your dog behaves. I let my fellow off the lead the whole time but only in certain places. Mitchell curley park is a great place, as is culleenamore beach. No one cares if the dog is off the lead. In the park though avoid the area where the kiddies playground is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭P H A 7V T O M

I just dump mine on the escalator outside TK Maxx and get it to walk in the opposite direction for 3 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

A little but off thread but Beleek woods in Ballina is well worth it. The Ice house, Knox-Gore picnic spot and the views along the Moy are great

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DickBunce

LC

All my dog wants to do is chase an old tennis ball. I would be absolutely horrified if a dog crapped on a beach and the owner did'nt poop scoop. We are not all irresponsible pet owners. My dog is let off the lead but at 7am in the morning when no one is around. Any of these turds you see are not from my dog but I do accept here are some morons who have no regard for what you mentioned.

Advertisement