Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Cairns missing 25 years ago today.

Options
  • 23-10-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

From Wikipedia
    Philip Cairns (born 1 September 1973) disappeared on the afternoon of 23 October 1986 while walking back to school in south Dublin, Ireland. The thirteen year-old schoolboy left his home in Ballyroan to return to school, but has not been seen since. A large-scale investigation was carried out but no trace of the boy has ever been found.[1][2] His disappearance is now treated as a high profile child murder case, the only similar incident in Ireland being the murder of Robert Holohan in January 2005.[3] It is one of the most high-profile disappearances in recent Irish history.[4]
    Philip's family have issued numerous appeals for information. A reconstruction took place in 2007 and was later televised on RTÉ One, while a reward of 10,000 has also been offered. The book, When Heaven Waits, published in 2007, featured an interview with Philip's mother. Nobody has ever been arrested,[4] and the only suspect cannot be tried due to lack of evidence. The case remains open.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

25 years and not even a trace. Now, that's what I call a mystery. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

People seem to have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not from the area, but I remember the case. I get the impression from reading between the lines that a lot of people and maybe the Gardai have a good idea what happened, but I could be wrong... Very sad case, I remember heading out hill walking in Wicklow when I was a teenager and there were search teams out with long sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I remember it well I am from that area same age- played soccer with him occasionaly. He was a very quiet lad so would be very surprised he got in a car with someone he did not know. Weirdest thing was his bag been found 2 days dry on a wet day in a small laneway where hundreds of people would walk through every day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

People seem to have forgotten.

I think you're wrong. I'd say anyone over 30 knows of it and has not forgotten.

It was in the news big time a couple of years ago when they started digging up the Grange golf course after a 'tip off'.

I think whoever said you could read between the lines is right, I'm sure people close to the situation probably have a fair idea or a narrow field of suspects.

I'd say it is still as horrific for his parents today as it was 25 years ago, the thought of it. I think the most amazing thing is that one or more people have managed to keep schtum for this long, there must be people out there who know exactly what happened and are protecting whoever is responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I will never forget this. I still pray for the chap. He was just older than me,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

A very sad case , his family must have had a terrible and painful life wondering what happened to their loved one .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mischa68

The one thing I never understood is why nobody saw him after he left the house. He wanted to walk back to school after lunch break. There must have been dozens of other kids doing the same thing. So why did nobody see him? Seems he vanished into thin air right at his own front-door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

His father died this week. Sad that he never found out the truth.

ollaetta wrote: »
    His father died this week. Sad that he never found out the truth.

I didn't know this until you posted here, thanks ollaetta. Tragic stuff altogether, I hope Phillip senior isn't wondering what happened any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 quigliest

There's a few references to a book called When Heaven Waits regarding this case but no other records of the book ever being published. Does anyone know if the book was ever published?

Where did you first hear about the book quigliest?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Where did you first hear about the book quigliest?

I see it's mentioned here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Philip_Cairns

Massive progression on this tragic case. Lots of details, turns out a female witnessed something.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-may-have-identified-killer-of-missing-schoolboy-philip-cairns-1.2680488

Shame the man refused to tell where the remains are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

So sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I hope that woman is locked up. Witholding vital evidence for so long is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems like the man who done it has just died. Sad

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Synode wrote: »
    I hope that woman is locked up. Witholding vital evidence for so long is unforgivable.

She was nine at the time.....went through hell while alleged perpetrator was still alive.....what sort of life is that for a girl growing up? I think withholding evidence is a bit strong....thoughts are with Philipps family AND with the girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Didn't realise she was so young at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This was a little disturbing to me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This was a little disturbing to me at the time.

Why?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement