Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting apple tree: Is it ok now?

• 23-10-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I have just bought an apple tree.

It's a Granny Smith – about 1.75 metres, the roots are in sacking.

Is it Ok to plant it now?

Do I need a pollinator?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

ok to go ahead and plant now as we are entering the dormant season...but the granny smith will require a pollination partner as it is not self fertile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

granny smiths will also have a hard time with the irish weather, i understand - it's not quite warm enough for them to ripen properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Lidl are doing a few apple trees, you can pick up an elstar there - great old Dutch variety, to pollinate the Granny Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Lidl are doing a few apple trees, you can pick up an elstar there - great old Dutch variety, to pollinate the Granny Smith

Not that old, bred in the 1950s :cool: should do well here though and is a better buy that the Granny Smith for Irish Conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mairepadraigin

I got my apple tree cut back and unfortunately the weather became very cold - it died. Can I plant another applet tree in the same spot this year - any ideas please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Of course you can plant now, use plenty of good soil, if in doubt add some peat free compost and mix into soil with some fertilizer. Firm the soil around the tree and give it plenty of water and repeat regularly especially during dry spells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Can I plant another applet tree in the same spot this year - any ideas please.

With a root ball: yes. Bare root: no.

Advertisement