Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless dropping out but hardwire ok ?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

This is my setup.

UPC connection coming into the house into a small Black box.

Lead from black box to splitter then to TV box - working fine.
    Cat5 lead from black box to White route ( wireless )
    Lead from White box directly into 1 PC.

We normally have a laptop running on the wireless as well as 2 iphones. ( I know iphones have 3G as well so thats ok )

It's worked flawlessly for over a year but the last 2 days the wireless has stopped working ( drops in and out sometimes )

The PC's internet works so the connect via the white box is ok

I've restarted both boxes and sometimes it works for a few seconds sometimes not at all.

My internet on my PC has never dropped but i'm hard wired by cat5(internet lead )

What are your suggestion to getting the wireless/wifi working properly ?

PS: just remembered i've a PS3 running on the wifi as well and it's the same as the laptop.. connection coming and going !!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

NeVeR wrote: »
    This is my setup.

UPC connection coming into the house into a small Black box.

Lead from black box to splitter then to TV box - working fine.
    Cat5 lead from black box to White route ( wireless )
    Lead from White box directly into 1 PC.

We normally have a laptop running on the wireless as well as 2 iphones. ( I know iphones have 3G as well so thats ok )

It's worked flawlessly for over a year but the last 2 days the wireless has stopped working ( drops in and out sometimes )

The PC's internet works so the connect via the white box is ok

I've restarted both boxes and sometimes it works for a few seconds sometimes not at all.

My internet on my PC has never dropped but i'm hard wired by cat5(internet lead )

What are your suggestion to getting the wireless/wifi working properly ?

PS: just remembered i've a PS3 running on the wifi as well and it's the same as the laptop.. connection coming and going !!

Thanks.

Try changing channels, Do you have the Cisco modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Black box is scientific atlanta

White router ( throwing out the single ) is Netgear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Are you getting interference from a neighbouring router? Try THIS to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thread moved to Wireless. This is a router issue, not a broadband or UPC one.

I downloaded that and ran it and it didn't even pic up the router. There are 2 other very week signals on channel 1 and 11,

I restarted the router and the router came in on channel 13,

there is nothing in the area on that channel and nothing that could be causing it to drop out.

I'm leaning towards a faulty antenna on the router ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Don't use channel 13 or you will exclude any devices set to Usa settings (Usa only use channels 1-11). Try channel 6 if there are devices nearby on 1 and 11. Channel 13 overlaps with 11 by the way and will interfere.

2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_(802.11b,g_WLAN).png

Just noticed that when the pc is on the wifi won't work. But when its off the wifi is ok. It's been on 13 for over 12 months with no problem ... Should I change it.

Just noticed that when the pc is on the wifi won't work. But when its off the wifi is ok. It's been on 13 for over 12 months with no problem ... Should I change it.

I would, lots of devices like laptops bought in USA, iPhones etc won't see channel 13 at all

None of my things are from the US . Also this just started to happen.

None of my things are from the US . Also this just started to happen.

They don't have to be from the Usa, just set to Usa settings. No Apple product will ever see channel 13

• Advertisement

Well I'm on my iPhone now and connected to the wifi. So that doesn't add up.

They only stop working when my pc is turned on and that's hard wired.

It's like the pc is stopping the wifi. This only started the last few days.

Advertisement