Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating water pump is tripping

• 23-10-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I tried to start my central heating yesterday and it tripped the ECB. After a process of elimination I discovered that the pump is causing the problem, the boiler will run fine on it's own. I opened the side of the pump and the wiring looks OK, there was a little water in the bottom of it. There was a large capacitor in there and my question is could this be the problem? Are capacitors likely to blow and need replacing? Are they likely to cause the ECB to trip? Or do I need to replace the pump? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

most likely the pump needs replacing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Can you see how the water got into the terminal box on the pump?
    The water is most likely causing an earth fault tripping the ELCB.
    Try drying this out using some kitchen paper and then a hair dryer on a cool setting.
    If it continues to trip then you may need a new pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I had the same problem as you and like you I tracked it down to a faulty pump. I replaced the pump (simple 10 minute job job) for €50 and it's worked fine since.

However you might want to investigate how the water got into the first pump in the first place or the problem will no doubt re-occur. I found that the small pressure relase valve on the top of my Firebird boiler was seeping water from a small crack and this was flowing down onto the pump housing.

Advertisement