Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bait for sea fishing

Options
  • 23-10-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Was thinking of going out with the nephew next weekend for a bit of sea fishing (harbour or pier) and was wondering where the best places are to buy bait?

Also I remember (many years ago) going out and digging for bait along Sandmount (where the tide goes way out) Lugworm i believe.
    Can you still go and dig your own bait now or are there regulations against that??

Thanks for any and all info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

haven done much sea fishing but id say the mackerel are full swing this time of year
    can buy feathers on ebay cheap and all ya want is a bit of lead then for distance

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭2smokinbarrels

get rag good multi purpose bait you can dig them in dollyer or buy them if your not used to digging bait it is not as easy as it looks.
    Make sure you really tread the bait up and on the hooks just nicking them on the mainly fall off durning the cast leaving you with bare hooks in the water no chance of catching.
    a bit late in the year for macs so leave the feathers its hard fishing with them unless the fish are there you can get very bored very quickley rag will catch you more species watch the tides and go on a rising tide better chance of catching even when you are fishing off a peir.
    try bray peir you can drive right down it incase the weather gets sh1t you can also order bait from viking tackle in bray and pick up any bits and bobs you need get some star lights they are cheep and bring insluation tape crack them and tape them to your road tip so you can see bites better at night and it will be much more exciting for the young fella 2 hooks flappers size 2/0 hooks you dont need shark hooks you can pick up cheep ready made rigs also save ya the hassel make sure your rods can handel the size weight you are going to use you dont want to break them rods with really heavy lead.
    I am giving you info but please can you not leave rubbish around set a good example for the young lad you never know he could get strung out on fishing I did.
    happy fishing pal.

Advertisement