Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports: banned from soccer

Options
  • 23-10-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭

I was banned from soccer for giving my view on the LOI in a premier league match thread. The reasons for banning seem to be that I made a disparaging comment on the slow pace of the LOI football. Firstly, I did not bring up the LOI of have any intention of discussing it. I was asked by another poster why I disliked it and I responded and that was the end of it. Suddenly I have a yellow card. Its just my opinion which the mod seems to take exception to. Very unfair mis use of the forum by a mod IMO.

Secondly I recieved a yellow card fo a comment 'those mongs' when qpr scored. I fail to seee how this is abuse in breach of the charter.
    1. It is harmless banter aimed at the chelsea players
    2. cearly not aimed at another user
    3. Mild language used which has frequently been used on the forum.

Again I can't see the justification for the yellow card here, seems to be a rather strick approach by the mod towards modding. I feel like they have taken exception to my opinion on something rather than the content and have decided to call me up extremly harshly. The mod is thankz for the fish.

I was only banned for 1 week for recieving 2 yellows on same day. I am only posting here as I genuinely feel that at least 1 was not a justified yellow and the mod has misunderstood the post in question.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I have taken a look at the thread and all your posts in it.Looks like we have 3 issues here,your 2 yellows and your ban.

First Yellow,was for this post.
    MUSEIST wrote: »
    If you like watching football then why watch the LOI, thats a contradiction surely:confused:
    So stop commenting on real football then. This is played at a higher pace and is a different league to the LOL league. Go back to watching shamrock rovers hoof the ball around the field at retards pace

You were only given a yellow for the first post and the second once was just deleted.It does not matter who brought up the LOI what matters is what you said.While these may be your views and you are entitled to them others don't have to suffer the blunt way you expressed them.Saying LOI players play at a 'retards pace' is just not on,if you had of expressed this in a better less confrontational way things would be different but you went down the other road.

Second Yellow.
    Those bloody mongs

This is just a run of the mill yellow,no issue here its not on has never been on to use words like that on the soccer forum.You are here long enough to know that.If you have a problem with this its a feedback issue going forward but the soccer forum has had this rule in place for years.

So IMO both yellows are sound.One other thing,while looking at your record it would seem you are up to 5 yellows already this season.You are hear long enough to know that a 6 th will bring an automatic 6 month ban from the forum.

Dub13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have taken a look at the thread and all your posts in it.Looks like we have 3 issues here,your 2 yellows and your ban.

First Yellow,was for this post.

You were only given a yellow for the first post and the second once was just deleted.It does not matter who brought up the LOI what matters is what you said.While these may be your views and you are entitled to them others don't have to suffer the blunt way you expressed them.Saying LOI players play at a 'retards pace' is just not on,if you had of expressed this in a better less confrontational way things would be different but you went down the other road.

Second Yellow.

This is just a run of the mill yellow,no issue here its not on has never been on to use words like that on the soccer forum.You are here long enough to know that.If you have a problem with this its a feedback issue going forward but the soccer forum has had this rule in place for years.

So IMO both yellows are sound.One other thing,while looking at your record it would seem you are up to 5 yellows already this season.You are hear long enough to know that a 6 th will bring an automatic 6 month ban from the forum.

Dub13

So the issue with the first one is that I said it bluntly and not the point I was making. Still seems extremly harsh to me considering I did not activly bring up the LOI discussion in the thread. Its surely unacceptable to yellow card someone because the manner of their point was "confrontational" when I was just expressing my opinion honestly in responce to other peoples question.

The second yellow I still don't get. Maybe the problem is the use of the word "mong" to describe david luiz's defending but its just a word I randomly made up to expresss my anger with it. It is clearly not abuse or over the top language so I fail to see the problem with it. Look at the context of the post, its not directed at another user and not openly directed at a player. I think its fair and fairly run of the mill and normal stuff in the soccer forum. A yellow is unjustified. If the word I used is an abusive word of which I am unaware then fair enough but I have never heard it used before and tbh its fairly banal expression of disapointment that is ridiculous to punish. I feel as though the yellow is harsh and still do and as you say one more and I get a long ban so they should not be handed out willy nilly when a mod is unhappy with a posters view.

I can accept the first one but I still feel the second was out of order and unjustified.

The second yellow I still don't get. Maybe the problem is the use of the word "mong" to describe david luiz's defending but its just a word I randomly made up to expresss my anger with it. It is clearly not abuse or over the top language so I fail to see the problem with it. Look at the context of the post, its not directed at another user and not openly directed at a player. I think its fair and fairly run of the mill and normal stuff in the soccer forum. A yellow is unjustified. If the word I used is an abusive word of which I am unaware then fair enough but I have never heard it used before and tbh its fairly banal expression of disapointment that is ridiculous to punish. I feel as though the yellow is harsh and still do and as you say one more and I get a long ban so they should not be handed out willy nilly when a mod is unhappy with a posters view.

I can accept the first one but I still feel the second was out of order.

Here are instant's of that word been used in the past and yellows issued.

Link

Link

Link

Link

As I said a bog standard yellow.Here is the definition of the word.
    Mong Adj. Lacking in physical and cerebal ability. General retardation.
    Generally: a total spastic

Not a nice word and not something we want used on the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Dub13 wrote: »
    Here are instant's of that word been used in the past and yellows issued.

Link

Link

Link

Link

As I said a bog standard yellow.Here is the definition of the word.

Not a nice word and not something we want used on the soccer forum.

Fair enough, honestly had no idea thats what it meant (I know now), thought it was a fairly harmless thing to say but if thats been yellowed before at least ye are consistant. It is a bit of an 'anal' way to moderate IMO (for such minor harmless things) but can't argue if its consistant. Fair enough.

Fair enough, honestly had no idea thats what it meant (I know now), thought it was a fairly harmless thing to say but if thats been yellowed before at least ye are consistant. It is a bit of an 'anal' way to moderate IMO (for such minor harmless things) but can't argue if its consistant. Fair enough.

No bother,as I said this is the rule and more a feedback issue going forward.Do remember that you are on 5 yellows now,you don't want a 6 month ban covering the good part of the season...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Closing this. Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement