Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM info when porting.

Options
  • 23-10-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Everybody,

Can anybody please tell me what happens to all the information stored on a sim card after porting?

I ported my number from o2 to 3 and now have lost all of the information that was on my old sim.

I rang 1913 when I realised what had happened but the rep told me that all of the information would have been lost during the porting process, although I could try contacting my old provider but there is probably nothing they can do.

He said I would have been informed by 3 to back up the information before porting. I sent the request to port on the 3 website. I've just checked the site again and nowhere on any of the web pages I accessed to get to the form, or on the form itself, did it state that any information should be backed up. Also I went into a 3 shop to enquire about getting my number ported and the rep never mentioned anything about loss of information either.

Does anybody know if there is any way I can get this information back? Maybe switching back to o2? I mentioned it to the 3 rep but he said it would make no difference. (Maybe he's right or maybe he's trying to keep me with 3?)

I'm not great with technology and thought that the porting process would mean that my old sim would be switched to the 3 network....not that my number would be attached to a new 3 sim.

I'm very upset right now as I've lost all contact numbers accumulated over 10 years or more. (being told that this might be slightly upsetting for me by the 3 rep hasn't helped!)

I'm refusing to put any credit into my phone until I'm sure switching back to o2 will be futile so I can't even ring o2 to find talk to them.

Can somebody please help?

Regards,
    Brgn hntr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Go back into the 3 store. Your numbers are still on the sim and they can still copy them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Three customer care have a habit of making things up. As walkman says nothing has been lost, it's all still on your old sim and it can be copied over

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

If your phone is unlocked you should be able to put your O2 sim in and copy the contacts to the phone memory.

As above, your old sim is perfectly fine, it just won't connect to a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 brgn hntr

Thanks to all who replied.

For reference:

I went to the three shop and was told the machine they use to swap the numbers to the new sim was broken and that the Carphone Warehouse would be able to do it for me.

Headed on up to the Carphone Warehouse where I was told that the service was now under the Geek Squad and there is a €15 charge for a "phone sync". Including setting up e-mail and whatever other bits and bobs people might need with a new phone. I politely refused as I only wanted the contact details from the old sim.

Back at the 3 shop, I was told they were due a delivery on Monday or Tuesday so call back then.

Went back on Tuesday and the guy in the shop did the job (o.t. with a really crappy looking gadget!!).

So everything is sorted now, thanks to the advice here.

As an aside, I've only been with 3 for a few weeks and I'm already very unimpressed with their customer service!! It won't take many more incidents like this one to send me back to my old provider.

Thanks again.

Advertisement