Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17rem

Options
  • 23-10-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I have been considering a change of rifle for a while now and have changed my mind that much over the last few months i have confussed myself. But i stumbled across the .17rem while taking about a .204. Has anyone ever owned a .17rem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

My local dealer breaks lovely .17 rem for parts .I baught a perfect 700 short action for less than 200 euros !Says a lot for the .17rem calibre :eek:.....outdated and unwanted ,today!Ammo is hard to find and if your lucky to find anyone selling some it will be at a price ;).It also hides in the shadow of the .223s and .204s in terms of performance !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

tomcat220t wrote: »
    My local dealer breaks lovely .17 rem for parts .I baught a perfect 700 short action for less than 200 euros !Says a lot for the .17rem calibre :eek:.....outdated and unwanted ,today!Ammo is hard to find and if your lucky to find anyone selling some it will be at a price ;).It also hides in the shadow of the .223s and .204s in terms of performance !

I have heard ammo can be hard to find and also that i shouldnt find it hard to find a cheap rifle as they arent popular at all. But for some reason i like the calibre. If i find a dealer with a steady supply of ammo what are the other pitfalls of the calibre?

Also seeming as i have a licence for a .17hmr im assuming i cant just do a sub on my licence for a .17rem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I have been considering a change of rifle for a while now and have changed my mind that much over the last few months i have confussed myself. But i stumbled across the .17rem while taking about a .204. Has anyone ever owned a .17rem?

I had one for a while , Also owned a .204 and currently have a .223 and .22/250

Great calibre of rifle , deadly on foxes. Perfect foxing gun except its too expensive to feed for my liking. €2 a shot is criminal in my eyes, Only remington makes the ammo and they only have 2 bullet weights on the market here if you can find them. Would have loved to kept it if it werent so expensive but I came across a gentleman that was seeking one and sold it to him. Replaced it with a .223

Real shame the ammo is so expensive, foxes I shot just ripped in half

MC.ISF wrote: »

I had one for a while , Also owned a .204 and currently have a .223 and .22/250

Great calibre of rifle , deadly on foxes. Perfect foxing gun except its too expensive to feed for my liking. €2 a shot is criminal in my eyes, Only remington makes the ammo and they only have 2 bullet weights on the market here if you can find them. Would have loved to kept it if it werent so expensive but I came across a gentleman that was seeking one and sold it to him. Replaced it with a .223

Real shame the ammo is so expensive, foxes I shot just ripped in half

Did you use it for just foxes or bunnies also?

I have heard ammo can be hard to find and also that i shouldnt find it hard to find a cheap rifle as they arent popular at all. But for some reason i like the calibre. If i find a dealer with a steady supply of ammo what are the other pitfalls of the calibre?

Also seeming as i have a licence for a .17hmr im assuming i cant just do a sub on my licence for a .17rem?
    What range are you using your 17hmr to?I would say you would struggle to push the .17 rem much past 250 yards for foxes .

• Advertisement

Never shot a fox with the .17hmr yet but only shooting bunnies out to 140-150 yards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The .17 rem was hugely popular in australia , i had one years ago and loved it apart from the ammo prices.

Never shot a fox with the .17hmr yet but only shooting bunnies out to 140-150 yards
    If you have a liking for a .17rem you will find the rifles cheap to buy but ammo will be hard found and expensive .Where as, for a little more you should be able to buy a good .223 and a lot cheaper ammo .The .223 will give you more hitting power , better in the wind and more range , than the .17rem .The only thing the .17rem has over the .223 is little to no recoil .

rowa wrote: »
    The .17 rem was hugely popular in australia , i had one years ago and loved it apart from the ammo prices.
    Popular in australia because the calibre is pelt friendly ?

Duffys have ammo on there website for 36 & 41 for twenty rounds. Not sure if they stock it. With the amount of hunting i do i cant see me using no more than 40 rounds a month which would cost me 80euro a month. When i consider i have often used a 100 hps .308 rounds in a day on the range that works out at 110 euro for one days shooting. So the cost of the .17rem ammo wouldnt bother me that much if i enjoyed shooting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I dont think you can sub a rim fire for a centre fire, I assume the 17Rem is centre fire?

It is a centrefire. I was kinda thinking i couldnt do a sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

It is a centrefire. I was kinda thinking i couldnt do a sub

Seeing as a lot of fo's and supers know nothing about firearms and go by the numbers on the application you might get lucky, eg substituting a .17 for a .17. Can't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Seeing as a lot of fo's and supers know nothing about firearms and go by the numbers on the application you might get lucky, eg substituting a .17 for a .17. Can't hurt to ask.

Ya I would go for that, do not elaborate tooooooooo much:D

My fo is big into shooting and has a .17hmr. So dont think i would get that by him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭MC.ISF

Did you use it for just foxes or bunnies also?

Just for foxes , far too expensive and poweful for bunnies !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I dont think you can sub a rim fire for a centre fire, I assume the 17Rem is centre fire?
    I recently subbed my 17hmr for a 223 and added a mod to the new licence no problem at all. we have the same super i think tommy;)

I recently subbed my 17hmr for a 223 and added a mod to the new licence no problem at all. we have the same super i think tommy;)

All my appilcations go to the super in kildare town

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭customrifle

The 17 rem is a grand round well able to flatten foxes and it moderates well. Like urself got a notion to get one had it 6 months before decided to change it for a rimfire. Just found my 250 flattened them better, further and cheaper and was more fun at targets as it has a heavy barrel. If you just want it for light weight foxing rifle the 17 is still well able for it.
    But if you want to do target work aswell go for 204 or 223........: Or go really wild and get a heavy barrel 17 fireball. Only prob there will be ull prob have to get Hps to load for you as the factory ammo availability is poor here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

All my appilcations go to the super in kildare town
    ah **** yah forgot ya said that to me alrite but there was a 223 subbed for a 22-250 last week in that station and it was for foxes so id ask the question

• Advertisement
Advertisement