Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Balance Farrier?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Does anyone know good remedial farrier for horse with high ringbone. I have done a bit of research on net and Natural Balance shoes sound good.

Anyone, got any experience with this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

In your opinion why do you feel that natural balance is the answer?

What proven scientific benefits does it have?

I have a 10yr old mare with a similar problem and have yet to find a solution to it.

Im always open to suggestions and hopefully a solution to my dilemma and yours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can you state your location? Theres no point asking for recommendations without one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coblover123

Just letting everyone know, my horse was diognosed with ringbone last year, my vet told me he would have to be on 2 sachets of bute for the rest of his days. He hasnt had any bute since then, and was put on a supplement that he is given daily, the supplement is the joint supplement made by cortoflex(not expensive 23 euros a bottle, lasts a month). However, he has been shoed with concussion pads underneath his shoes, to obsorb vibration from travelling up the joints, these are also priced reasonably by my farrier. In my experience with this condition over the past year, it is vital that the feet are kept trimmed and have a shoe put on that has a break over. I.e: Roll-toe or similar. My horse is a heavy cob standing 16.1HH and would be heavier than most.. i will also add that i dont do an awful lot of jumping with him as obviously this will add extra strain on the joints affected by the ringbone, but he is not lame now and is his usually bubbly self, considering that i was told by my vet on a level of 1-10 he was an 8 in severity. just thought i would drop my story here as not many people gt support for this condition and not many people deal with it and pass on their knowledge. hope i helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meljets

Thanks fellow coblover!

I also have my guy on Cortaflex and have had rolltoe shoes put on. I'm very hopeful. Some days he is better than others. I did do a lot of road work but I am trying to lessen that and that seems to be helping alot. I am holding off on using bute so far. I also put magnetic stable boots on him for as long as possible before I ride which seem to help. When I don't use them it seems to take him longer to loosen out but not sure how much of that is my wishful thinking. My farrier it brilliant and really interested in the condition. He is shortening his toes gradually so I am lot more hopefull about the future now. As you say it is a condition that no-one wants to discuss and there is little support. It would be great to have someone to share this with that understands so if you are up for it please PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 coblover123

Hey Meljets,

Im very happy to hear your boy is doing well and is comfortable. your right not near enough support around for this condition, and people dnt open up about it... since im new here im just getting used to all the feature, id love to speak more in depth with you via pm. drop me one anytime and we talk some more. If i dont speak to you before christmas have a lovely one :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement