Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science: CS1109

• 23-10-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm in sixth year at the moment and thinking about doing the compsci degree at UCC next year. I've been looking through the modules and it looks like cs1109 (Programming and Web Development) is the main module at 15 credits. I'm wondering what do you spend your time studying in this module.

The UCC website says that you learn 'a server side programming language', would this be php or another programming language?

How much time is spent learning html and css? They're not very complex and they are quite easy to learn, I just hope they don't spend too much time covering these.

Just one more question is the 'server side programming language' the only programming language you learn in class in first year? Is there any java taught in first year?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Im in CK401 right now.

last week we finished css and html and started on php.

i think we have to wait until 2nd year to do java,

any other questions you may have feel free to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Sounds way different to how it was when I tried, and dropped out of the course...We very much got thrown in at the deep end, and the course had a huge drop out rate because of it. Good to see they changed it around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Neodymium wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm in sixth year at the moment and thinking about doing the compsci degree at UCC next year. I've been looking through the modules and it looks like cs1109 (Programming and Web Development) is the main module at 15 credits. I'm wondering what do you spend your time studying in this module.

The UCC website says that you learn 'a server side programming language', would this be php or another programming language?
    Yep, thats the one!!!

How much time is spent learning html and css? They're not very complex and they are quite easy to learn, I just hope they don't spend too much time covering these.
    About 4 weeks...
    Just one more question is the 'server side programming language' the only programming language you learn in class in first year? Is there any java taught in first year?
    It is the only taught language but you are encouraged to go and learn more..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

It sounds like you worry that the standard in the course might be a bit low. Yes first year isnt overly demanding but there will be plenty to challenge you in second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

jreanor wrote: »
    It sounds like you worry that the standard in the course might be a bit low. Yes first year isnt overly demanding but there will be plenty to challenge you in second year.

No, it's not that at all, I'm sure the standard is probably as high as any other college in Ireland. It's just I already know a lot of html and css and a good bit of php and I don't want to end up learning html for half the year, but as other people have already pointed out, its only taught for 4 weeks. I was just curious about this seen as from looking at the degrees in other colleges, they seem to start of learning java. I was just wondering about the java because I've really got in to learning it lately with the hope of maybe getting into to some android development and maybe getting some apps up on the google app engine.

I have one other question, at the end of first year as you probably already know you choose which compsci option you carry on for the rest of your degree. Would anyone be able to tell me what are the differences between the 'computer science' option and the 'web systems engineering'
    option. Do you learn java as part of the web systems engineering option?

Anyway thanks, I guess I'm back to writing my english essay (shiver goes down spine) I've been procrastinating for long enough now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

This page: http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/science/sci002.html#CK401 explains the differences between the streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Neodymium wrote: »
    No, it's not that at all, I'm sure the standard is probably as high as any other college in Ireland. It's just I already know a lot of html and css and a good bit of php and I don't want to end up learning html for half the year, but as other people have already pointed out, its only taught for 4 weeks. I was just curious about this seen as from looking at the degrees in other colleges, they seem to start of learning java. I was just wondering about the java because I've really got in to learning it lately with the hope of maybe getting into to some android development and maybe getting some apps up on the google app engine.

I have one other question, at the end of first year as you probably already know you choose which compsci option you carry on for the rest of your degree. Would anyone be able to tell me what are the differences between the 'computer science' option and the 'web systems engineering'
    option. Do you learn java as part of the web systems engineering option?

Anyway thanks, I guess I'm back to writing my english essay (shiver goes down spine) I've been procrastinating for long enough now. :)

In first year CS, a few weeks is spent learning HTML5. It's taught at a high-level and can often be quite confusing. There are some experienced programmers who struggle with the labs, and inevitably those who scoff at it fail. Don't worry about doing things you have experience in at the beginning, I can guarantee that in the module you will be challenged every class and every lab sheet. I went into the module as a webmaster of 3 websites using PHP and HTML - looking back, I can now safely say I knew nothing. The module is difficult, but luckily, it is taught by the best lecturer in UCC.

Both streams learn Java. Web Systems is more concentrated on...well, web systems. Studying this, you will not encounter ADTs like linked lists or study many algorithms, but you do a lot of website and networking work. In CS, the reverse is true - lots of algorithm study/analysis, work with a lot of different ADTs, but a bit less work on websites.

Advertisement