Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was my thread closed?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427804

The mod says that "Internet strangers dont really have the power to diagnose you in fairness". If he'd bothered to read my post, he'd see that I've already been diagnosed and I'm looking for advice on continuing to exercise with that diagnosis. To then close the thread without further discussion smacks of outright ignorance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Boards.ie has a long established history of not allowing threads that start along the lines of "I should probably ask a doctor, but..."

Think about it - if a member of boards give you advice on a medical issue and, if it goes wrong, boards.ie itself could be liable for damages.

Common sense: If you think you need to go see a doctor, go see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Think about it - if a member of boards give you advice on a medical issue and, if it goes wrong, boards.ie itself could be liable for damages.

Rights of Boards.ie

11. Our rights and responsibilities

11.1 Liability and accuracy:

We do not make any warranty or representation as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Material posted on the Site is not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such Material by any user, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
    Users of the Site should satisfy themselves as to the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information contained on this Site and where applicable to the identity of other Users.
    Under no conditions and in no event shall we be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary damages or loss howsoever arising, (including but not limited to negligence or breach of these Terms of Use or otherwise) or for any loss of data, profit, revenue, goodwill or business howsoever caused even if that loss or damage was foreseeable by us, or the possibility of it was brought to our attention.
    11.4 Indemnity and waiver

You agree to indemnify, defend (at the request of Boards.ie Ltd), and hold harmless Boards.ie Ltd., Adverts Marketplace Ltd., our investors, successors, subsidiaries, affiliates, co-branders, contractors, employees, third-party advertisers, technology providers, service providers or other partners, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, shareholders, employees and representatives, from and against any third party claim, demand, loss, damage, cost, or liability including reasonable legal expenses, made or brought by any third party due to or arising out of your use of Boards.ie or any part thereof, the violation of these Terms of Use by you, or the infringement or misappropriation by you, or a third party using your computer, of any account or password to access and/or use Boards.ie, or of any intellectual property rights of any person or entity, or the use or misuse by you or third parties of your passwords or accounts.
    You acknowledge that your use of Boards.ie including any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through Boards.ie is at your own discretion and risk and you agree to waive any right to bring any claim or action against Boards.ie Ltd. and/or Adverts Marketplace Ltd. or our successors, assigns, directors, officers, employees and agents for any loss, damage or injury arising from such use.

Though in the interest of the Core site Tenet - Don't be a Dick - the mod's still generally don't allow such threads to save any potential harm. It's been that way for many years before and since I can say I've been here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The ART and Fitness forums do not allow discussions in relation to medical advice, of course if you read the charter you would have known this.

If you have a issue talk to a doctor, don't depend on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Seriously? As I say in the thread, I have been diagnosed, I've seen my doctor, he's told me what's wrong, I'm not looking for medical advice. Is it really that strange to ask people who've probably had a pinched nerve before (weight trainers et al) whether they continued to train with it and if so, did it help or make things worse? This is not something I expect my doctor to be able to help me with, as I doubt he has much expertise in weight training (I've seen him, I doubt he has much expertise in any sort of fitness training) so I thought the people on H&F might have an idea.

I've contacted the mod responsible but he's not replied, what is this DRP procedure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm not looking for medical advice.

Yes you are. You've asked if it's OK to continue your exercises with a pinched nerve. No one here can answer that question, and it's irresponsible of you to ask it. You even opened your post by saying:
    corblimey wrote:
    I should've asked my doctor really

So you know yourself that this is a question for your doctor. To accept any advice from strangers on this matter would be foolish, to say the least.
    I've contacted the mod responsible but he's not replied, what is this DRP procedure?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I really think it's not a medical matter, but obvs every mod who's chimed in on this thread thinks it is, so I'm not even going to bother with drp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056427804

The mod says that "Internet strangers dont really have the power to diagnose you in fairness". If he'd bothered to read my post, he'd see that I've already been diagnosed and I'm looking for advice on continuing to exercise with that diagnosis. To then close the thread without further discussion smacks of outright ignorance.

No, it smacks of proper Moderating. On the health and Fitness forum we frequently get asked things that are medical in nature - you'll be hard pushed to find one that isn't closed fairly sharpish. If you have pain you'll get directed towards a Dr. or a physio. If you have a diagnosis that involves pain and you're wondering whether you can exercise then it's up to the diagnosing doctor to give you that advice. No-one on the net - no matter how anecdotal or well-meaning their advise, can replace this. When there's something as potentially complicated as a pinched nerve then we really can't take any chances. It might not seem medical to you but to us it very much is I'm afraid.

Also the DRP is for warning/ ban disputes, the right place to go about addressing a Mod action (if a PM isn't replied to) is Help Desk.

Advertisement