Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new tractor v second hand

• 23-10-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭

Hi have been thinking of changing the tractor at home, have a 7610 2wd since 99, great machine have been very happy with it but its getting on a bit now. have been looking to get a 4wd with a loader to replace it. had looked at getting a 7610 4wd but prices are crazy looking at 14K for a good one and thats 20 years old. thinking i might be better off buying a new one. wouldnt be able to buy a new holland or john deere so what are to rest of them like and re there good deals for a 95-105 hp 4wd with a loader out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

yellow50HX wrote: »
    Hi have been thinking of changing the tractor at home, have a 7610 2wd since 99, great machine have been very happy with it but its getting on a bit now. have been looking to get a 4wd with a loader to replace it. had looked at getting a 7610 4wd but prices are crazy looking at 14K for a good one and thats 20 years old. thinking i might be better off buying a new one. wouldnt be able to buy a new holland or john deere so what are to rest of them like and re there good deals for a 95-105 hp 4wd with a loader out there?
    Simular thinking here meself
    Looked at a few 02/03 new hollands(imported) round the 23/5 k mark with loader considering the good old zetor at the min 10k more out of the box
    Like above whats yeer thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Like a fella said to me the best tractor is one that starts in the morning and runs all day without problems.
    I bought a 1997 case 5140 this year and so far so good.
    If I made a good profit and had a big tax bill I would buy new as you could write
    a bit of tax of against deprecation
    If I didnt have the cash in bank I would buy second hand and try not to borrow too much.
    I would buy from a good dealer that would give a guarantee if I knew nothing
    about tractors or engines but if I felt I knew enough I would but from done deal
    farm and plant or autotrader etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

djmc wrote: »
    Like a fella said to me the best tractor is one that starts in the morning and runs all day without problems.
    I bought a 1997 case 5140 this year and so far so good.
    If I made a good profit and had a big tax bill I would buy new as you could write
    a bit of tax of against deprecation
    If I didnt have the cash in bank I would buy second hand and try not to borrow too much.
    I would buy from a good dealer that would give a guarantee if I knew nothing
    about tractors or engines but if I felt I knew enough I would but from done deal
    farm and plant or autotrader etc.

watch out for the hyd pump in the 5140, its the only banana skin on that machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

epfff wrote: »
    Simular thinking here meself
    Looked at a few 02/03 new hollands(imported) round the 23/5 k mark with loader

Careful now!! Some of these imported tractors have been found to be clocked. Others are the ones that were taken back under warranty when there was a serious mechanical fault. When you look at the ads, you have to ask yourself why someone would trade in a tractor with only 400 hours on it. Or why would a tractor with 600 hours need 4 new tyres???? (1400 hours on mine and there still is no visible wear) You need to know what you're doing when you go out to buy a used machine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guys,
    This is my experience on buying a second hand tractor through Donedeal.
    I was looking out for a while and found a tractor for sale locally. It was cheap enough so went for a look. Tractor looked spotless. I took it for a drive and everything seemed ok. The guy was operating from the back of his house. One of these places with a lot of tractors about the place. We were talking about the tractor when I mentioned the HP. He opened the tax book to check it. A complete coincidence, but I managed to see the last owner. It was a guy I knew.
    I rang him on the guiet. Turns out there was a serious problem with the gearbox. It would cost 3K Euro to fix. The guy was asking for 9K Euro. The last guy had sold it on to him for 4K and as he said, "Glad to get rid of it".
    Just make sure you get a mechanic to check it over before agreeing to anything first. There's a lot of cowboys out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Seto_Kaiba

I was in your position a few months back.
    Started out looking at 390's and Fiat 88-94's all looking grand and had loaders with low enough hours but the price was ridiculous. I remeber looking at a 92 390 with a loader for 17k with 6k hours!!
    I uped the price but again things seemed too expensive a 02 MF 4355 w/ loader 3200 hrs for 32k. Again another machine a 04 Case w/ loader 2200hrs for 31k. Only reason I thought the prices were steep on them was John Deere had a finance deal out and you could get a 5090m w/loader for 43k ( well actually after pricing around some asked for 49k but the dealer I was talking to ended up saying 43,300 )
    In the end I got the John deere because if I were to trade in again in a few years I'd have a much newer tractor to trade and John deere seem to retain their value quite well, the finace also made it easier on the pocket ;) ( 0% )
    +1 on the mechanic. Had a look at a 05 case Jx 95 looked great and it was only 25k w/ loader 800hrs but looked a bit poor, concrete all over the loader and bucket and a share of rust and mold in cab. Ended up not buying it due to it having no shuttle and a few weeks later I was talking to my baling contractor who knew the guy who had ended up buying it. It was giving huge gearbox problems.
    New tractor has given some trouble but it was mostly tweaking and the mechanics were sent out on the spot and fixed it within an hour usually. Thank God for the warranty!
    I know you said you wouldn't buy a John Deere but I said I'd throw in my experience as I was in a similar position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

yellow50HX wrote: »

I think around the time of the ploughing zetor had a deal ....a brand new 100 hp tractor + loader for some thing like 35,000 seemed to be good valve to me .....id say they would do a life time if well minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

looked at upgrading our Newholland an 05 tl90A 4wd with 2500 hrs and front loader, to a brand new T5060 with new loader fitted also, they wanted 27K along with our own and for a t6020 was 33K along with our own, dont know if people think thats good or bad but in the end we didnt bother, we just said that amount would buy a second hand 120 Hp tractor for doing some heavy jobs and would have the benifit of a second tractor, so still thinking and looking at the moment, just another note to borrow the amount above the NH finance was dear enough, the credit union was actually way cheaper, so shop around for your loan aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Seto_Kaiba wrote: »
    I was in your position a few months back.
    Started out looking at 390's and Fiat 88-94's all looking grand and had loaders with low enough hours but the price was ridiculous. I remeber looking at a 92 390 with a loader for 17k with 6k hours!!
    I uped the price but again things seemed too expensive a 02 MF 4355 w/ loader 3200 hrs for 32k. Again another machine a 04 Case w/ loader 2200hrs for 31k. Only reason I thought the prices were steep on them was John Deere had a finance deal out and you could get a 5090m w/loader for 43k ( well actually after pricing around some asked for 49k but the dealer I was talking to ended up saying 43,300 )
    In the end I got the John deere because if I were to trade in again in a few years I'd have a much newer tractor to trade and John deere seem to retain their value quite well, the finace also made it easier on the pocket ;) ( 0% )
    +1 on the mechanic. Had a look at a 05 case Jx 95 looked great and it was only 25k w/ loader 800hrs but looked a bit poor, concrete all over the loader and bucket and a share of rust and mold in cab. Ended up not buying it due to it having no shuttle and a few weeks later I was talking to my baling contractor who knew the guy who had ended up buying it. It was giving huge gearbox problems.
    New tractor has given some trouble but it was mostly tweaking and the mechanics were sent out on the spot and fixed it within an hour usually. Thank God for the warranty!
    I know you said you wouldn't buy a John Deere but I said I'd throw in my experience as I was in a similar position.

Are these JD5090M tractors made in China:confused: I guess you will know after 1,000 hours or so!

F.D wrote: »
    looked at upgrading our Newholland an 05 tl90A 4wd with 2500 hrs and front loader, to a brand new T5060 with new loader fitted also, they wanted 27K along with our own and for a t6020 was 33K along with our own, dont know if people think thats good or bad but in the end we didnt bother, we just said that amount would buy a second hand 120 Hp tractor for doing some heavy jobs and would have the benifit of a second tractor, so still thinking and looking at the moment, just another note to borrow the amount above the NH finance was dear enough, the credit union was actually way cheaper, so shop around for your loan aswell.

That's excessive.

In 2009 my next door neighbour upgraded his 01 TS90 with 1500 hours to a T5060. He had to give €16000. In 2001, he paid €30,000 straight for the TS90. List price for the T5060 in 2009 was €44000.

Do the sums. It was the best deal that I have ever seen with a tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Heard from a few lads that the TS series are in a different league altogether than the T5000 series :D softer stuff altogether in them.... think one lad compared them to marla...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Seto_Kaiba

BeeDI wrote: »
    Are these JD5090M tractors made in China:confused: I guess you will know after 1,000 hours or so!

The 6030 series was 12k more I think and the 5090R was 7k more.
    Those machines are higher spec and have power quad standard along with other extras.
    The 5090M has a power shuttle and electric pto, all else is manual, no a/c etc. It seems a strong and sturdy machine and is basically the same as a JD 5820, the 50R and 50M replaced the 5020 series but the R and M are split between specs, the R being higher spec.
    If I have big issues with it I'll be posting here for help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe the Plumber

Very hard to justify buying a new tractor unless you are putting up at least over 600/700 hrs a year. most part timers doing well at 250 a year.

A lot of money tied up.

The only problem with a Zetor is you'll be married to the bitch for the rest of your life!!:(

You can get spotless fresh s/h tractors from reputable dealers up and down the country who will give you warranty for half the price of a new one.

New Holland, Massey, JD, Case hard to go wrong.

Good hunting......:pac:.........

Dont forget the day you buy is the day you sell...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

polod wrote: »
    I think around the time of the ploughing zetor had a deal ....a brand new 100 hp tractor + loader for some thing like 35,000 seemed to be good valve to me .....id say they would do a life time if well minded.

yes and the zetor are no bad machine theese days

Muckit wrote: »
    Heard from a few lads that the TS series are in a different league altogether than the T5000 series :D softer stuff altogether in them.... think one lad compared them to marla...

Yea? Not many of them around this part of the country!! So wouldn't be too well up on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

irishh_bob wrote: »
    yes and the zetor are no bad machine theese days

Modern Zetors are actually quite good. The old Zetor faults of poor brakes and poor seals in the lift system have been sorted out.
    I would imagine that for a part time farmer with only a few hundred hours work per year, they offer a good value. Of course, there is a bit of tractor snobbery with lads, which wouldn't let them be seen driving one.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

Bought a second hand TS this year. What a nightmare I had buying a s/h tractor. Made a few phone calls every day to dealers for 2 months and not one rang me back as the second hand market is crazy. S/H tractors are scarce with the lack of new sales in the last few years coupled with the exports of 8 to 15 yr old tractors. some dealers went up 1500 euro within the 2 months for the tractors they were selling. There may be better value in a new tractor but have to agree with earlier post you would want ot be putting on at least 500/600 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Very hard to justify buying a new tractor unless you are putting up at least over 600/700 hrs a year. most part timers doing well at 250 a year.

A lot of money tied up.

The only problem with a Zetor is you'll be married to the bitch for the rest of your life!!:(

You can get spotless fresh s/h tractors from reputable dealers up and down the country who will give you warranty for half the price of a new one.

New Holland, Massey, JD, Case hard to go wrong.

Good hunting......:pac:.........

Dont forget the day you buy is the day you sell...;)
    a neighbour has a MF and a Zetor and he will always take the Zetor as he finds it a better machine (both around 100hp) even though the Massey is newer.

As BeeDI said, there is a lot of tractor snobbery out there. One good year and farmers turn into D4 types comparing their 8litre 4WDs for the dangerous 100m school run:rolleyes:

reilig wrote: »
    Yea? Not many of them around this part of the country!! So wouldn't be too well up on them.

Only risin' ya ;) Pay no heed

Only risin' ya ;) Pay no heed

I'm wise to you at this stage ;)

What's the suck like after all the rain these last few days? If we get a couple more days rain around here, the shannon will be as high as it was in 2009!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

marlyman wrote: »
    watch out for the hyd pump in the 5140, its the only banana skin on that machine.

What happens the hyd pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

A lot of money tied up.

Depends how long you keep the tractor. At 300 hours a year, a tractor should last 20 years before needing any mechanical attention, and should easily last 40 before becoming expensive to keep going!

That said, I have seen some genuine bargains, and still rue the day I missed out on a genuine Ford 8100 with low hours that sold for £4000.

We bought a Zetor 6340 new in 1995 for £17,500, sold it in 2000 for £14,000, and the same tractor now would probably make €12,000! The sell easily and there is a ready export market for them.

Now a Same or something and the story may be very different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

5live wrote: »
    As BeeDI said, there is a lot of tractor snobbery out there. One good year and farmers turn into D4 types comparing their 8litre 4WDs for the dangerous 100m school run:rolleyes:

Yeah I find that too, a few people around me have bought new zetor tractors ...but most neighbours will refer to them as a 'poor mans' tractor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    What happens the hyd pump?

Can give a bit of trouble and are an expensive b***h to repair. Have a 5130 with almost 12000 hours on it. Gave a bit of trouble but took the pump to a Case mechanic and it ended up being a valve stuck and only cost me a few hundred. Don't panic and put in a pump if you do have some trouble. Found it to be bulletproof other than that.
    Oh prepare to be roasted slowly inside it during the summer if you don't have air-con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Tbh i'd be more concerned about the hyd pump packing up than being roasted in the cab going on the "summers" we get! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭raher1

Go new,lots of zero per cent finance and the credit union offer cheap finance,if anything goes wrong it's under warranty.nothing as annoying as fixing a tractor now,wait for weeks for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

polod wrote: »

Yeah I find that too, a few people around me have bought new zetor tractors ...but most neighbours will refer to them as a 'poor mans' tractor :pac:

Could never understand that mentality And never heard one valid reason as to why zetors earned that reputation.

Maybe it was the general perception and suspicion of all motor vehicles manufactured behind the iron curtain skodas ladas yugos etc were always the subject of derision. Or it could have been the lack of inovation in the latter years of the UR 2 range.

But zetors, while they may have had Spartan comforts, have in general been as reliable and sturdy a tractor as you can get.
    in fairness there have been many Spartan comforted Massey fergusons and David browns etc down through the years as well.

a neighbour has a MF and a Zetor and he will always take the Zetor as he finds it a better machine (both around 100hp) even though the Massey is newer.

Tractor snobbery I dont think so, just around 30,000 hours worth of tractor driving thats all. most makes and models over the years!!

Trying to give advice to someone who asked for opinions. Have seen Zetors nearly bankrupt a few contractors. Likewise you can get a bad luck with any tractor.

Why are Zetors 60% the price of other main stream makes. Is everyone else stupid so to be paying more for tractors if Zetors are as good JD, NH, Massy.

Next someone will be recommending a Belarus..!!!:D:D

Tractor snobbery I dont think so, just around 30,000 hours worth of tractor driving thats all. most makes and models over the years!!

Trying to give advice to someone who asked for opinions. Have seen Zetors nearly bankrupt a few contractors. Likewise you can get a bad luck with any tractor.

Why are Zetors 60% the price of other main stream makes. Is everyone else stupid so to be paying more for tractors if Zetors are as good JD, NH, Massy.

Next someone will be recommending a Belarus..!!!:D:D

Thats a ridiculous argument. Thousands and thousands of zetors have been sold in this country over the last 50 years if they were bankrupting contractors at an abnormal rate they would long since have folded their tent.
    In fairness there was one stage when zetors were a staple tractor of nearly every contractor in the country.
    Some people may have had trouble with them but the vast majority would say they are as reliable as any tractor.

Making a general statement on the purchase price and bankrupting contractors is the sort of argument we have always heard but as for a specific mechanical inferiority vis a vis similar tractors there is nothing only personal opinion and tractor snobbery!! IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭susign

I would definetly think hard before ploughing 50k+ into a tractor unless doing large volumes of work. My father bought a 2 year old 390T back in 99 and it's still in imaculate condition, a bit thirsty on diesel for a small tractor though and cab is a bit small but apart from that it was probably the best buy he ever got. It's no harm keeping up with the times and 4x4 is a must when doing loader work as you need the strength in the front axle. I'd suggest be patient and wait until you see the ideal secondhand tractor that you want from a good reputable dealer and avoid private sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

early zetors before the crystal were unreliable if used for silage contracting.thats what gave them a bad name around here

20silkcut wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous argument. Thousands and thousands of zetors have been sold in this country over the last 50 years if they were bankrupting contractors at an abnormal rate they would long since have folded their tent.
    In fairness there was one stage when zetors were a staple tractor of nearly every contractor in the country.
    Some people may have had trouble with them but the vast majority would say they are as reliable as any tractor.

Making a general statement on the purchase price and bankrupting contractors is the sort of argument we have always heard but as for a specific mechanical inferiority vis a vis similar tractors there is nothing only personal opinion and tractor snobbery!! IMO

Thats your personal opinion obviously, you could be a Zetor dealer for all I know!!

I am speaking from experience, Just to clear things up, please dont twist what I say, I referred to a couple (i.e. 2) contractors that I know who HAD Zetors and they broke their heart. I also said any make of tractor can give trouble.

To follow your own words, why are'nt Zetors the "staple tractor" of contractors anymore...???... I rest my case..;)

One way to clear it up would be to set up an opinion poll. If there's a mod looking in it would measure experience and opinion for the benifit of all boardies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

reilig wrote: »
    That's excessive.

In 2009 my next door neighbour upgraded his 01 TS90 with 1500 hours to a T5060. He had to give €16000. In 2001, he paid €30,000 straight for the TS90. List price for the T5060 in 2009 was €44000.

Do the sums. It was the best deal that I have ever seen with a tractor.

looking at that deal, the cost per hour in depreciation terms works out at :pac:€10.66.:confused:
    Strikes me as commercial lunacy to be honest. He does less than 200 hours a year. Why on earth would you throw money away like that, on a tractor that gets minimal usage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Thats your personal opinion obviously, you could be a Zetor dealer for all I know!!

I am speaking from experience, Just to clear things up, please dont twist what I say, I referred to a couple (i.e. 2) contractors that I know who HAD Zetors and they broke their heart. I also said any make of tractor can give trouble.

To follow your own words, why are'nt Zetors the "staple tractor" of contractors anymore...???... I rest my case..;)

One way to clear it up would be to set up an opinion poll. If there's a mod looking in it would measure experience and opinion for the benifit of all boardies.

you actually said Zetors nearly "bankrupted" a few contracts!:rolleyes: silly comment to be honest. Should take more than a Zetor to bankrupt a solid business. Looking at the various bankrupsy auctions around the country over the past few years, there are very few zetors in the line up. :D

Lots of green tractors though.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

zetor were very popular in this country a few decades ago but thier biggest selling point then and now has always been thier price tag and while they are certainly good value , up untill the past decade , they were a tractor which thier was always something wrong with , we used to have a 9540 4wd ( year 1995 ) and while the cab was a big improovement on the old crystals , it was incredibly backward in design compared to ther makes , you litterally had to remove the steps from the cab in order to pour oil into the back end , the hydraulics always squeeled when operated , gear range was a case of six forward and six reverse and the pto level grinded like on an old MF 165 and thats before the real fun began, the brakes gave endless trouble , they were disc brakes and would litterally heat up and stick every so often , it was the reason we changed it in the end , i know they made improovements from around the begining of the last decade but the bottom line with zetor is that the technology ( and especially comforts ) is always around ten years behind the major makes if not twenty

great engines though :)

• Advertisement

Tora Bora wrote: »
    looking at that deal, the cost per hour in depreciation terms works out at :pac:€10.66.:confused:
    Strikes me as commercial lunacy to be honest. He does less than 200 hours a year. Why on earth would you throw money away like that, on a tractor that gets minimal usage?

I don't know how you do your sums, but the tractor lost Eur2000 in 8 years and over 1500 hours. He paid 30,000 for it and got 28,000 for it in the trade. That's just a little over 1 Euro per hour. Sure a new tractor would lose 2000 the day you drive it out of the dealer. I thought it was exceptional value.

The same man could well afford to have a new tractor outside the door. It saved him a fortune in tax.

Tora Bora wrote: »
    you actually said Zetors nearly "bankrupted" a few contracts!:rolleyes: silly comment to be honest. Should take more than a Zetor to bankrupt a solid business. Looking at the various bankrupsy auctions around the country over the past few years, there are very few zetors in the line up. :D

Lots of green tractors though.:p

Nothing silly about telling the truth. You obviously have'nt a clue what its like to be making repayments on equipment and after the warranty is out you try and pay for repairs out of what you are earning (or not earning if they are broke down)

You must be another Zetor dealer!!

Not many Zetors at the liquidation auctions because their market share in this country over the last 15 years has fallen to almost nothing!! ...Hmmm I wonder why...:D:D

Enjoy your Zetors Tora. your entitled to your opinion.

I wont be buying one I can tell you...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Nothing silly about telling the truth. You obviously have'nt a clue what its like to be making repayments on equipment and after the warranty is out you try and pay for repairs out of what you are earning (or not earning if they are broke down)

You must be another Zetor dealer!!

Not many Zetors at the liquidation auctions because their market share in this country over the last 15 years has fallen to almost nothing!! ...Hmmm I wonder why...:D:D

Enjoy your Zetors Tora. your entitled to your opinion.

I wont be buying one I can tell you...:p

Im no big zetor fan by any means but there new models arent too bad if a bit basic. Come to north clare if you think there market share is that bad. The place is littered with fonterra and proxima tractors and they are by far the most popular stockmans tractor around. I know a good few people who have them and havnt heard of anyone having any big problems with them. Obviously they arent the same quality as the equivalent massey or deere but they are not as bad as you are saying. They are not really aimed at contractors as most would find them a bit crude if they were doing a lot of work. The contractor I work for has a 6830 premium deere with 5000 hours on it. Everything is connected to electrics in some way or another and anytime it breaks down has to be put up on the lowloader and up to murphys with it and it has happened a few times. Its a 07 and the warranty is out on it. At least the zetors are fairly simple and if you were handy you could fix most small things yourself. Dont judge them on what they made 30 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Im no big zetor fan by any means but there new models arent too bad if a bit basic. Come to north clare if you think there market share is that bad. The place is littered with fonterra and proxima tractors and they are by far the most popular stockmans tractor around. I know a good few people who have them and havnt heard of anyone having any big problems with them. Obviously they arent the same quality as the equivalent massey or deere but they are not as bad as you are saying. They are not really aimed at contractors as most would find them a bit crude if they were doing a lot of work. The contractor I work for has a 6830 premium deere with 5000 hours on it. Everything is connected to electrics in some way or another and anytime it breaks down has to be put up on the lowloader and up to murphys with it and it has happened a few times. Its a 07 and the warranty is out on it. At least the zetors are fairly simple and if you were handy you could fix most small things yourself. Dont judge them on what they made 30 years ago.

would they not call out redzer or is it just handier to drop it up, fair auld effort hauling a tractor up to headford from your neck of the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

would they not call out redzer or is it just handier to drop it up, fair auld effort hauling a tractor up to headford from your neck of the woods

They called out a few times with electrical problems but it had to go up twice. Shaft broke in the gearbox and cant remember what happened the other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

irishh_bob wrote: »
    zetor were very popular in this country a few decades ago but thier biggest selling point then and now has always been thier price tag and while they are certainly good value , up untill the past decade , they were a tractor which thier was always something wrong with , we used to have a 9540 4wd ( year 1995 ) and while the cab was a big improovement on the old crystals , it was incredibly backward in design compared to ther makes , you litterally had to remove the steps from the cab in order to pour oil into the back end , the hydraulics always squeeled when operated , gear range was a case of six forward and six reverse and the pto level grinded like on an old MF 165 and thats before the real fun began, the brakes gave endless trouble , they were disc brakes and would litterally heat up and stick every so often , it was the reason we changed it in the end , i know they made improovements from around the begining of the last decade but the bottom line with zetor is that the technology ( and especially comforts ) is always around ten years behind the major makes if not twenty

great engines though :)

Had a 6340 of the same vintage. Same experience as the above, and was shifted on after 5 years because of the brakes and grindy PTO.

20silkcut wrote: »

I am not a zetor dealer just a humble zetor owner and my father before me.

And I wouldn't rest my case if I was you.
    Zetor are very much in the stockman category these days.
    And some contractors still get work out of pre-historic zetors to this day.

North Tipp co council still have an old 8045 working a vacuum tanker on their jobs.

The new forterra are supposed to be very fuel efficient. I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that parts would be cheaper for them too (as compared to a MF, deere or NH? That's got to count for something these days ! It's not just all about the price you buy something for, running and servicing costs need to be taken into consideration too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

The new forterra are supposed to be very fuel efficient. I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that parts would be cheaper for them too (as compared to a MF, deere or NH? That's got to count for something these days ! It's not just all about the price you buy something for, running and servicing costs need to be taken into consideration too.

You sound like a Zetor dealer to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

You sound like a Zetor dealer to me :pac:

FFS, it seems that anybody who believes Zetor tractors can be good value for some farmers, and have improved in design in recent years, automatically gets accused of being a Zetor dealer around here.

Grow to fcuk up:eek:

FFS, it seems that anybody who believes Zetor tractors can be good value for some farmers, and have improved in design in recent years, automatically gets accused of being a Zetor dealer around here.

Another one!! thats at least three Zetor dealers on this thread!!..:D:D:D:D

Did you see the Pacman simile? Do you understand what it means? Irony? Humor?

Nice try Zetor dealer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Did you see the Pacman simile? Do you understand what it means? Irony? Humor?

Nice try Zetor dealer :pac:

I have a Zetor computer. It cannot display smilies, and other such complex characters.
    Have to go now, to attend to another satisfied Zetor customer.

I have a Zetor computer. It cannot display smilies, and other such complex characters.
    Have to go now, to attend to another satisfied Zetor customer.

God speed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seems to be a scarcity of good 2nd hand stockman tractors around the 100hp mark available in this country. Has anyone on here imported one from the continent, not uk?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement