Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost 3 stone so far in 9 weeks,cycling only exercise

• 23-10-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I took up cycling again back in mid august ,only planned to use a cruiser to ease back into it (19 stone is a lot of weight )but found myself back on an old sirrus I had lying around.

Last sunday managed a sixthy kilometer round trip around dublin ,took me near stepaside ,howth and st. margarets. I'd put a set of 23mm tires on and my average speed jumped from 21km to near 25km.

I'm flabbergasted at the amount of weight I've lost and the enjoyment I'm getting from cycling. I have my eyes on racing bikes now and I don't even own a pair of pedal shoes:D

Edit : After reading other threads of similar stuff ,I'll give more info.

Diet : Gone from eating breakfast rolls and fry's to eating fresh fruit and veg.

Mon-Friday at work.
    7.30am Breakfast small bowl of muesli + Promax diet shake.
    11am brown pitta bread and turkey
    2pm brown pitta bread and turkey.
    6pm Dinner , brown rice or brown pasta + veg + meat or fish.
    Hardly ever eat after 6 now and if I do it's fruit or a yoghurt.

Exercise at least twice during the week for a 30 - 40k cycle before work ,usually at about 6am.

Weekends I'll be out on the bike twice and have myself a chinese on a saturday ,maybe a few beers aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Hope to lose 2-3 stone over the winter/early spring to be fit for a big cycle tour in early summer. Presently on 100km/wk so I need to motivate myself to up that. Got knocked off the bike in September and damaged my elbow so that's taking time to heal and that set me back. Anybody here training for touring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

I got a good bit of help initially to loose that 3 stone ,it included taking a trip to a supplement shop ,doctor for blood tests and support from family etc.
    My big hopes are to cycle wicklow mountains this coming summer ,that would be a big achievement for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    I got a good bit of help initially to loose that 3 stone ,it included taking a trip to a supplement shop ,doctor for blood tests and support from family etc.
    My big hopes are to cycle wicklow mountains this coming summer ,that would be a big achievement for me.

Fair play are you sure it.s the cycling and not the diet that is helping the kgs fall of reason i ask is because i am on the bike 6 months now doing 100k a week and have not lost a kg not that I am trying to loose a lot but a kg or 2 would be nice anyway fair play and well done chap:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

it has to be a balance of both if your looking to lose weight but diet is a huge part of it.
    no point doing 100k a week and eating whatever you want when you like and expect to lose weight, just wont happen or if it does happen it will be early on then will very soon stop when body adjusts to the exercise.

Eating balanced with good hard training will make huge difference to weight loss. I dont think you can lose that much weight so soon without doing both !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Wheely GR8

I haven't been out on the bike in the last three weeks and the weight has barely came down ,I think I lost three pound in the last two weeks :(

The most obvious thing to me is that I don't feel half as good ,but I think I've finally lifted this ongoing chest infection though ,another reason I had to loose weight to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

Wheely GR8 wrote: »
    I haven't been out on the bike in the last three weeks and the weight has barely came down ,I think I lost three pound in the last two weeks :(

The most obvious thing to me is that I don't feel half as good ,but I think I've finally lifted this ongoing chest infection though ,another reason I had to loose weight to begin with.
    keep it up , i put on about 7 stone since i gave up the ball 10 yrs ago , back on the bike since august for the first time since 1987, i've lost 17 pounds and i'm not starving myself , doing between 10/12 miles most days (if its pissing down ..no) , the cycling is ace , i really love it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Great results there. Started cycling just under 2 years ago, went from 105kgs to 90kgs (I'm 6' 2 1/2") in about 5 months. Only for the first month did I really cut back and after that eat plenty but only food you would consider healty, no ****e or takeaways. Hovering around 92kg at the moment, not doing much but I'm finding even when I train loads my weight doesn't drop below 90kgs. Without cycling I'd be huge now.

Advertisement