Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TVs

Options
  • 23-10-2011 9:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

Just got a panasonic viera, very happy, with it.
    whats urs and are you happy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mazu

Hi,

I got a Samsung smart LED TV recently. I cannot connect wirelessly to access the internet and it says in the user manual I need to buy a "Samsung Wireless LAN Adapter but not where seems to sell them except the Samsung website. Did you need one of these to set up yours.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Smart TV's are crap, it's a marketing gimmick these days. Don't listen to TV salesmen, they love to taunt customers with BS. You are always much better with a separate device (PC/HTPC/Boxee/AppleTV/Android on a Stick/Raspberry Pi) that has decent processing power and a better choice of addons and plugins. Check out XBMC, you can install it on all sorts of hardware (including the Raspberry Pi).
    http://xbmc.org/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Bought a Samsung with wireless adaptor works great YouTube spotify etc love it. Also have an xbmc setup

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Smart TV's are crap, it's a marketing gimmick these days. Don't listen to TV salesmen, they love to taunt customers with BS. You are always much better with a separate device (PC/HTPC/Boxee/AppleTV/Android on a Stick/Raspberry Pi) that has decent processing power and a better choice of addons and plugins. Check out XBMC, you can install it on all sorts of hardware (including the Raspberry Pi).
    http://xbmc.org/about/

Agree 100% with this - a dedicated HTPC - combined with a relatively new TV will give you tons more functionality and flexibility than a smart tv.
    Cost wise its a lot cheaper as well: a raspberry, sd card, case etc. and media remote would cost less than 60 euro and turn any low end tv into the most impressive kid on the block

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have a "smart" TV. New 8 series Samsung. But, to be honest, I couldn't be ar5ed about the "smart" functionality of it. I have a cheap HTPC under all the TVs in my house and they work wonders. All the functionality of a Smart TV, plus 10 times more, for less. Have XBMC on them all streaming from my NAS and they're all running XP so have full browser/streaming etc, netflix, youtube etc etc. A friend of mine asked me about getting one for his house: 300 quid more expensive, so I told him: No, get cheaper one and I'll set ya a cheap HTPC for the difference.

They really are a hobbled ripoff. If, say, they could be hacked, Ubuntu or openelec or something installed, THEN you'd be talking but for anyone thinking of getting one: Get the tele you want WITHOUT smart functionality and spend the difference on a HTPC, it's easier than you think and only slightly geeky :)

Advertisement