Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could i delete my post history

Options
  • 23-10-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

would it be possible to have all my previous posts from boards deleted or would this beyond the realms of possibility?

odd question i know.... :-)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

stevoman wrote: »
    would it be possible to have all my previous posts from boards deleted or would this beyond the realms of possibility?

Someone in rl find out your username?? Lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mass deletion of posts isn't done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Spear wrote: »
    Mass deletion of posts isn't done.
    Spear,thats not what the OP asked. he asked if it was possible?

my tuppence worth op,you are well within your rights to have your posts deleted,when you signed up to boards in 2007,you agreed to all the terms an conditions etc etc. if im not mistaken,those terms an conditions have changed after you signed up;) so lawfully,you never agreed to these "new" terms an conditions.

of course i stand corrected by an admin or other who knows better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

so lawfully,you never agreed to these "new" terms an conditions.
    The T&Cs wrote:
    By registering with us or using or browsing Boards.ie, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by these Terms of Use. If you do not agree you may not use Boards.ie.
    http://www.boards.ie/terms/

so:confused:

the poster joined in 2007

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Spear,thats not what the OP asked. he asked if it was possible?

my tuppence worth op,you are well within your rights to have your posts deleted,when you signed up to boards in 2007,you agreed to all the terms an conditions etc etc. if im not mistaken,those terms an conditions have changed after you signed up;) so lawfully,you never agreed to these "new" terms an conditions.

of course i stand corrected by an admin or other who knows better.

But posts made under the old terms were made under the old terms so are covered by them.

And iirc when the last revision was made to the T&C there was a sitewide announcement about it and I'm pretty sure it mentioned that continued use of the site constituted a tacit acceptance of them.

so:confused:

the poster joined in 2007
    So when the terms changed and he continued to use the site he agreed to the new terms (as is the norm when an online service changes it T&Cs).

There was a nice big thread about them here when they changed too. And also when a minor edit happened. IIRC there was also a sitewide announcement, so it wouldn't be something someone could miss easily.

Technically possible - yes afaik.
    Feasible no.

This has been asked before. To mass delete posts could ruin the flow of threads that you were involved in. It also wouldn't cover your posts being quoted and re-quoted. That would involved man-hours that just aren't there and there would have to an over-powering reason to invest that time.

Orion wrote: »
    But posts made under the old terms were made under the old terms so are covered by them.

And iirc when the last revision was made to the T&C there was a sitewide announcement about it and I'm pretty sure it mentioned that continued use of the site constituted a tacit acceptance of them.
    well unless a poster was notified of new terms an conditions etc etc and agreed to them,then all amendments would be invalid.:confused:

look guys im no legal eagle but in answer to the OP question,i think under the agreements,terms etc he signed up under he would have just reason to have his posts deleted

look guys im no legal eagle but in answer to the OP question,i think under the agreements,terms etc he signed up under he would have just reason to have his posts deleted

I'm pretty sure boards.ie has legal eagles who disagree. If you use the site you agree to its T&Cs. And at no stage did boards agree to delete any posts just because you ask - in original ones or amended ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Technically possible - yes afaik.
    Feasible no.

This has been asked before. To mass delete posts could ruin the flow of threads that you were involved in. It also wouldn't cover your posts being quoted and re-quoted. That would involved man-hours that just aren't there and there would have to an over-powering reason to invest that time.
    pity. nothing i can do so. if there is anyone i could pm about it or contact that would be great.

pity. nothing i can do so. if there is anyone i could pm about it or contact that would be great.
    Stevo, ask one of the admins to delete your posts under the terms and conditions you signed up under.see where that gets ya:)

thanks folks. i have an email sent so il see how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Stevo, ask one of the admins to delete your posts under the terms and conditions you signed up under.see where that gets ya:)
    A couple of problems this, which have already been pointed out, but it seems like it might be worth it again.

1. There was apparently no right to have posts deleted under the old terms and conditions.
    2. Continued use of the site after the terms and conditions changed indicates an acceptance of the changes. This is a fairly widely accepted legal principle.
    Additionally, even if there was a clause that allowed for a right to have posts to be deleted it would likelybe qualified. Where deleted the posts would require a serious expenditure of labour I would expect that the reasons offered for the posts having to be deleted would need to be very serious.

MrP

Exactly nowhere if he takes that line.

If he wants certain posts deleted under certain circumstances it may happen. I've done it myself for someone in one of my forums - he asked for 2 posts to be deleted for a reason. They were old posts, deleting them didn't disrupt the flow of the threads and he had given a reasonable reason for requesting it so I did it for him. The poster initiated the request acknowledging that I could easily refuse the request if I chose to. If he'd said "Do it under the T&Cs I signed up under or else" I'd merely have referred him to the admins and I'm fairly sure those posts would still be there now. How you ask can be just as important as what you ask.

Exactly nowhere if he takes that line.

If he wants certain posts deleted under certain circumstances it may happen. I've done it myself for someone in one of my forums - he asked for 2 posts to be deleted for a reason. They were old posts, deleting them didn't disrupt the flow of the threads and he had given a reasonable reason for requesting it so I did it for him. The poster initiated the request acknowledging that I could easily refuse the request if I chose to. If he'd said "Do it under the T&Cs I signed up under or else" I'd merely have referred him to the admins and I'm fairly sure those posts would still be there now. How you ask can be just as important as what you ask.

seriously......im done here:rolleyes:

Seriously? But we're having so much fun :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If it were a handful of posts, then yes, you could PM the mods of the relevant forums and request that they delete the, although they are under no obligation to do so. However deleting nearly 3,000 posts is just not going to happen for the reasons stated by Orion above. The deletion of posts is covered by the following parts of the Terms of Use:
    In order to ensure that threads and conversations are not disrupted, we do not generally remove Material which is uploaded to us. Consequently, you agree that your Material displayed on Boards.ie may continue to appear on Boards.ie, even after you have terminated your user privileges or have had your user privileges terminated by Boards.ie.

However, we understand that you may wish to remove certain types of original creative Material (such as your photographs, drawings, videos, short stories, architectural plans, poetry and the like) from time to time.

Consequently if for any reason you decide that you no longer wish to have your original creative Material displayed on Boards.ie then we will delete it provided that this does not have a significant negative impact on the structure of the thread it features in. For example, we will not delete a work put up for constructive criticism as to do so would make the posts which respond meaningless.

To have original creative Material deleted, please contact the relevant forum moderator with a direct link to the relevant item and your request. We will delete it within 10 working days of your request, as far as reasonably possible.

Please note that deletion of original creative Material applies only to Material you have uploaded to us. If you have posted a link on Boards.ie to Material hosted elsewhere (such as Flickr or YouTube) then as we are not the hosts you will have to contact that other site to have that Material deleted.

ok so. well thanks for replies.

if i changed my username would this be possible and would that change my username in all my posts?

• Advertisement

if i changed my username would this be possible and would that change my username in all my posts?

If you change your username it would change it sitewide. It would also be reflected in your public profile - have a look at mine for an example - my previous name is there for all to see.

It is possible to close your account. You could then open a new account and start from scratch. The original account name may be able to be changed too to protect the innocent but all the posts would still be there. I'm not sure how this works rules-wise - Zaph or Q will be able to advise on this better.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We're generally not in favour of people creating second accounts unless there's a good reason for it. However if you want to PM me with more details I might be able to help you.

If you want to opt for a simple username change then you'll need to subscribe for a minimum of 1 month. Details can be found here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ok so. well thanks for replies.

Also, take into account, any posts you've been quoted in will display the username you would of been using at the time you made the post.

Advertisement