Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Tea rooms

Options
  • 23-10-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of an old tea shop in the Abbey street area Dublin ? possibly called the China tea rooms.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There were the China Showrooms where the LUAS stop is now, but in my day it was a place sold crockery.

It's possible they had a previous life as a Tea Rooms. Roughly what timeframe are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

spurious wrote: »
    There were the China Showrooms where the LUAS stop is now, but in my day it was a place sold crockery.

It's possible they had a previous life as a Tea Rooms. Roughly what timeframe are you thinking of?

Thanks for the reply.
    I found a small two handled cup , marked underneath "made by Arklow Pottery for Dublin Tea Rooms".Arklow pottery opened in the 30s and closed in '89.I was just looking for a little info.

Thanks MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

The China Showrooms were a bargain type place similar to Guiney's. They closed about five years ago I think and there is a €2 shop there now.

Thanks
    mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

The China Showrooms premises ended up as a bargain store. The original China Showrooms had been the oldest china & crystal company in the country (established in the 1920's), & was always slightly better value than the likes of Switzers & Arnotts, & American tourists (especially) used to flock there. For quite a while before they ceased trading they just sold end of lines, but at some stage in the 90's the premises turned into a bargain store. I doubt very much if the China Showrooms has any connection with the cup.

With regard to the cup, for anything like this to have been commissioned & stamped, it would have had to have been a pretty upmarket establisment. I have an idea that it may have been related to the Gresham Hotel, who had an afternoon tea facility back in the 50's & 60's, like for example the Clarence Hotel have now. The Clarence has been around since 1852, & they do have the Tea Room Restaurant now, but this may have been in existence before 1989, & I don't know if they had Tea Rooms in the past.

There is a concierge in the Gresham who has been working there for about 35 or 40 years. I have sent you his name via PM, & he will be on duty after 1.30pm tomorrow (Tuesday), in case you wanted to ring & speak to him. He might be of some help.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the replies,greatly appreciated .

MJ

Advertisement