Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC

Options
  • 23-10-2011 10:52pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey I'm looking to buy a PC but don't know much about spec these days.

It's sole purpose will be for playing poker. Not sure if anyone here plays poker but I'll be 20 tabling so it needs to be some what decent.

I don't need a monitor as I got one from a friend moving abroad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I've never posted here before...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I play a bit, and used to multi table etc..

Ill let one of the experts spec it out for ya, but basically, if your 20 tabling then the main bottleneck is going to be the holdem manager database. This will be much faster with an SSD drive. Graphics card isnt going to matter much, youll need a mid range card..

Id go with win 7 64 bit, 16 gigs of ram, a decent SSd drive, along with a larger drive for storage..

I just build a pc primarily for a VMware lab, but i was trying out Multi tablng and its vastly better than my other PC, ram and ssd look to be the main advantage..

My Specs are

Win 7 64 bit
    Dual Intel SSDs Raid 0
    I7 2600k
    16 Gig ram
    GTX560 TI.
    Antec 100 Case and 620 watt Antec PSU.

If you go with that, and change the Graphics Card to a 550 TI, along with dropping the second ssd, youll have no trouble doing it for less than 800, and it will be a very noticable improvement..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

go to the link in my sig and copy paste the questions with as many answers as you can. someone will be along soon enough or myself when I'm not on my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

16gb of ram and an SSD?!! Is that really necessary for a flash game? I would have thought a fairly basic machine would have no problems playing a load of poker games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

ScumLord wrote: »
    16gb of ram and an SSD?!! Is that really necessary for a flash game? I would have thought a fairly basic machine would have no problems playing a load of poker games.

Its the holdem manager database that uses all the resources. If this user is 20 tabling this database will be huge, and with live Overlays on the tables any slowdown get very annoying.

The database is much faster on an ssd, and when you are looking for live stats as quickly as possible (20 tabling means he needs super quick stats), its a huge improvement.

Anyone playing poker seriously will notice tiny differances with their setup and it will be easily worth the extra spend on RAM and SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow, that's pretty much the same set up I use for HD video editing. Surprising to see a database require that much power, it must be huge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement